Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users sets the remote server's name Post 302696877 by bitlord on Wednesday 5th of September 2012 02:46:43 PM
Old 09-05-2012
Hello,
I do this with my .profile file. I'm a BASH user so this is what I do.
I set this in my prompt.
Code:
export PS1="\[\e]2;\h:\w \a\[\e[0;31m\]\u@\e[0;32m\h\e[0;34m\]>\[\e[0m\] "

I think the bold part is the title bar part. This works on MAC, RHEL and Solaris. It also works with both xterm and terminal.

I hope this helps

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transfer file from local unix server to remote server

want to remove this thread. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
2 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Clouds (Partially Order Sets) - Streams (Linearly Ordered Sets) - Part 2

timbass Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:07:53 +0000 Originally posted in Yahoo! CEP-Interest Here is my follow-up note on posets (partially ordered sets) and tosets (totally or linearly ordered sets) as background set theory for event processing, and in particular CEP and ESP. In my last note, we... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

preserving the timestamp of a file when copied from remote server to local server using ftp

Hi, I need to copy few files from remote server to local server. I write a shell script to connect to the remote server using ftp and go to that path. Now i need to copy those files in the remote directory to my local server with the timestamp of all those files shouldnt be changed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
5 Replies

4. Programming

SFTP from one remote server to another remote server from desktop

Hi, I have 1. lappy 2. server A 3. server B Now, what i need is to run a command from lappy that will sftp a file from server A to server B. Please guide me to achieve this. -akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Script to get files from remote server to local server through sftp without prompting for password

Hi, I am trying to automate the process of fetching files from remote server to local server through sftp. I have the username and password for the remote solaris server. But I need to give password manually everytime i run the script. Can anyone help me in automating the script such that it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Append the output of a script running in remote server to a file in local server?

Hi guys, So i am in server1 and i have to login to server 2, 3,4 and run some script there(logging script) and output its result. What i am doing is running the script in server2 and outputting it to a file in server 2 and then Scp'ing the file to server1. Similarly i am doing this for other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do I require remote login access to a windows server to transfer files from a UNIX server

Hi All I need to transfer a file from a UNIX server to a windows server. I saw that it is possible to do this using scp command by looking at the forum listed below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo connect to a remote server and execute scripts in remote server

Hello Every one!! I am trying to write a shell script which will connect to a remote server and execute scripts which are at a certain path in the remote server. Before this I am using a sudo command to change the user. The place where I am stuck is, I am able to connect to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masubram
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script connect to remote server, not find files and exit only from remote server, but not from scrip

I have a script, which connecting to remote server and first checks, if the files are there by timestamp. If not I want the script exit without error. Below is a code TARFILE=${NAME}.tar TARGZFILE=${NAME}.tar.gz ssh ${DESTSERVNAME} 'cd /export/home/iciprod/download/let/monthly;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies
Env::PS1(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     Env::PS1(3pm)

NAME
Env::PS1 - prompt string formatter SYNOPSIS
# use the import function use Env::PS1 qw/$PS1/; $ENV{PS1} = 'u@h $ '; print $PS1; $readline = <STDIN>; # or tie it yourself tie $prompt, 'Env::PS1', 'PS1'; # you can also tie a scalar ref $format = 'u@h$ '; tie $prompt, 'Env::PS1', $format; DESCRIPTION
This package supplies variables that are "tied" to environment variables like 'PS1' and 'PS2', if read it takes the contents of the variable as a format string like the ones bash(1) uses to format the prompt. It is intended to be used in combination with the various ReadLine packages. EXPORT
You can request for arbitrary variables to be exported, they will be tied to the environment variables of the same name. TIE
When you "tie" a variable you can supply one argument which can either be the name of an environement variable or a SCALAR reference. This argument defaults to 'PS1'. METHODS
"sprintf($format)" Returns the formatted string. Using this method all the time is a lot less efficient then using the tied variable, because the tied variable caches parts of the format that remain the same anyway. FORMAT
The format is copied mostly from bash(1) because that's what it is supposed to be compatible with. We made some private extensions which obviously are not portable. Note that this is not the prompt format as specified by the posix specification, that would only know "!" for the history number and "!!" for a literal "!". Apart from the escape sequences you can also use environment variables in the format string; use $VAR or "${VAR}". The following escape sequences are recognized: a The bell character, identical to "07" d The date in "Weekday Month Date" format D{format} The date in strftime(3) format, uses POSIX e The escape character, identical to "33" Newline Carriage return s The basename of $0 The current time in 24-hour format, identical to "D{%H:%M:%S}" T The current time in 12-hour format, identical to "D{%I:%M:%S}" @ The current time in 12-hour am/pm format, identical to "D{%I:%M %p}" A The current time in short 24-hour format, identical to "D{%H:%M}" u The username of the current user w The current working directory W The basename of the current working directory $ "#" for effective uid is 0 (root), else "$" dd The character corresponding to the octal number 0dd \ Literal backslash H Hostname, uses Sys::Hostname h First part of the hostname l The basename of the (output) terminal device name, uses POSIX, but won't be really portable. [ ] These are used to encapsulate a sequence of non-printing chars. Since we don't need that, they are removed. Extensions The following escapes are extensions not supported by bash, and are not portable: L The (output) terminal device name, uses POSIX, but won't be really portable. C{colour} Insert the ANSI sequence for named colour. Known colours are: black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan and white; background colours prefixed with "on_". Also known are reset, bold, dark, underline, blink and reverse, although the effect depends on the terminla you use. Unless you want the whole commandline coloured you should end your prompt with "C{reset}". Of course you can still use the "raw" ansi escape codes for these colours. Note that "bold" is sometimes also known as "bright", so "C{bold,black}" will on some terminals render dark grey. If the environment variable "CLICOLOR" is defined but false colours are switched off automaticly. P{format} Proc information. All of these are unix specific %a Acpi AC status '+' or '-' for connected or not, linux specific %b Acpi battery status in mWh, linux specific %L Load average %l First number of the load average %t Acpi temperature, linux specific %u Uptime %w Number of users logged in Not implemented escapes The following escapes are not implemented, because they are application specific. j The number of jobs currently managed by the application. v The version of the application. V The release number of the application, version + patchelvel ! The history number of the next command. This escape gets replaced by literal '!' while a literal '!' gets replaces by '!!'; this makes the string a posix compatible prompt, thus it will work if your readline module expects a posix prompt. # The command number of the next command (like history number, but minus the lines read from the history file). Customizing If you want to overload escapes or want to supply values for the application specific escapes you can put them in %Env::PS1::map, the key is the escape letter, the value either a string or a CODE ref. If you map a CODE ref it normally is called every time the prompt string is read. When the escape is followed by an argument in the format string (like "D{argument}") the CODE ref is called only once when the string is cached, but in that case it may in turn return a CODE ref. BUGS
Please mail the author if you encounter any bugs. AUTHOR
Jaap Karssenberg || Pardus [Larus] <pardus@cpan.org> This module is currently maintained by Ryan Niebur <rsn@cpan.org> Copyright (c) 2004 Jaap G Karssenberg. All rights reserved. Copyright (c) 2009 Ryan Niebur. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Env, Term::ReadLine::Zoid perl v5.10.0 2009-06-25 Env::PS1(3pm)