Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting a file based on positive and negative numbers Post 302696171 by paolo.kunder on Tuesday 4th of September 2012 11:30:08 AM
Old 09-04-2012
Splitting a file based on positive and negative numbers

Dear All,
I have to split a tab delimited file in two files based on the presence of a positive or negative in column number 9 , for example

Code:
file:
A  1   5   erg   +   6766   0.9889  0.9817   9.01882 erg inside upstream
B  1   8   erg2   +   6766   0.9889  0.9817   -9.22 erg2 inside downstream

file1:
A  1   5   erg   +   6766   0.9889  0.9817   9.01882 erg inside upstream

file2:
B  1   8   erg2   +   6766   0.9889  0.9817   -9.22 erg2 inside downstream

any hint?
thanks,
paolo

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please view this code tag video for how to use code tags when posting code and data.

Last edited by paolo.kunder; 09-04-2012 at 12:39 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in adding positive & negative values in a column

Hi Gurus, In my file I have an amount field from position 74 to 87, which contains values starting with '+' as well as '-'. I want to add all positive values in a varible called "CREDIT" and all negative values in a variable "DEBIT". I know, we can use grep to identify values with positive and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl output with negative and positive numbers

Hello, For my weather station I have made a little perl script to put the data into cacti. The next problem I have. I can only get positive numbers or negative numbers. What do I do: Though a shell scrip I call the perl script. Shell script: #!/bin/sh cat data.txt | stats.pl Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbl-blacklight
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the most positive and negative value and defining its position

Hi, I have a file that looks like this: Jake 2 3 4 6 4 3 -2 -1 Jerry 1 2 3 2 1 7 -6 -1 Timmy -1 -4 -5 -8 9 3 1 I want to find the most positive and negative value for each row and also define its position (based on column #) So the output would look... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gisele_l
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting positive and negative values

Hello, I have a list like this : 1 2 -4 0 -3 -7 5 6 etc. Is there a way to remove all the positive values and print only the negative values, without using grep, sed or awk? Thanks, Prasanna (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of both positive and negative numbers

Let, I have three numbers +00123.25 -00256.54 +00489.23 I need to sum up all those three numbers, after storing them in three variables (say var1, var2, var3). I used both expr and BC, but they didn't work for me. But, I am not able to sum up them, as I don't have any idea how to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Where Values Change From Positive To Negative and viceversa

Hi all, I have a file that looks like shown below. I want to find places where the value in column 2 change from negative to positive and vice versa and return the value on column 1 at that point. I wonder if this is possible in shell script or awk .. please help! Here is the original data ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: malandisa
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file based on line numbers

Hello friends, Is there any way to split file from n to n+6 into 1 file and (n+7) to (n+16) into other file etc. f.e I have source pipe delimated file with 20 lines and i need to split 1-6 in file1 and 7-16 in file2 and 17-20 in file 3 I need to split into fixed number of file like 4 files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rizzu155
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Converting negative number to positive in a file

Hi ALL, I am having semi column separated file as below. I am having negative values for the records starting with 11095. How can I convert that positive number I tried this below seems not working sed 's/ \(*\)$/ -\1/;t;s/\(.*\)-/\1/ myfile myfile... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on negative and positive numbers

I have a file that is pipe delimited and in Column F they have number values, both positive and negative. I need to take the one file I am starting with and split it into two separate files based on negative and positive numbers. What is the command to do so? And then I need to also transfer... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cckaiser15
4 Replies
pnmcut(1)                                                     General Commands Manual                                                    pnmcut(1)

NAME
pnmcut - cut a rectangle out of a portable anymap SYNOPSIS
pnmcut [-left leftcol] [-right rightcol] [-top toprow] [-bottom bottomrow] [-width width] [-height height] [-pad] [-verbose] [ left top width height ] [pnmfile] All options may be abbreviated to the shortest unique prefix. DESCRIPTION
Reads a PBM, PGM, or PPM image as input. Extracts the specified rectangle, and produces the same kind of image as output. There are two ways to specify the rectangle to cut: arguments and options. Options are easier to remember and read, more expressive, and allow you to use defaults. Arguments were the only way available before July 2000. If you use both options and arguments, the two specifications get mixed in an unspecified way. To use options, just code any mixture of the -left, -right, -top, -bottom, -width, and -height options. What you don't specify defaults. It is an error to overspecify, i.e. to specify all three of -left, -right, and -width or -top, -bottom, and -height. To use arguments, specify all four of the left, top, width, and height arguments. left and top have the same effect as specifying them as the argument of a -left or -top option, respectively. width and height have the same effect as specifying them as the argument of a -width or -height option, respectively, where they are positive. Where they are not positive, they have the same effect as specifying one less than the value as the argument to a -right or -bottom option, respectively. (E.g. width = 0 makes the cut go all the way to the right edge). Before July 2000, negative numbers were not allowed for width and height. Input is from Standard Input if you don't specify the input file pnmfile. Output is to Standard Output. OPTIONS
-left The column number of the leftmost column to be in the output. If a nonnegative number, it refers to columns numbered from 0 at the left, increasing to the right. If negative, it refers to columns numbered -1 at the right, decreasing to the left. -right The column number of the rightmost column to be in the output, numbered the same as for -left. -top The row number of the topmost row to be in the output. If a nonnegative number it refers to rows numbered from 0 at the top, increasing downward. If negative, it refers to columns numbered -1 at the bottom, decreasing upward. -bottom The row number of the bottom-most row to be in the output, numbered the same as for -top. -width The number of columns to be in the output. Must be positive. -height The number of rows to be in the output. Must be positive. -pad If the rectangle you specify is not entirely within the input image, pnmcut fails unless you also specify -pad. In that case, it pads the output with black up to the edges you specify. You can use this option if you need to have an image of certain dimensions and have an image of arbitrary dimensions. pnmpad can also fill an image out to a specified dimension, and gives you more explicit control over the padding. -verbose Print information about the processing to Standard Error. SEE ALSO
pnmcrop(1), pnmpad(1), pnmcat(1), pgmslice(1), pnm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 29 June 2000 pnmcut(1)