Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] weird in find -exec command Post 302695279 by Lem on Sunday 2nd of September 2012 01:05:09 PM
Old 09-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
If it works as it should, it will also be deleting/listing files that do not match the pattern *test*. That pattern is expanded by the shell and its result are the operands where find will begin its searches.
No. That pattern it's a directory tree path rooted at each given file name , so it's not necessarily a directory inside which find will begin its searches.

Quote:
SYNOPSIS
find [-H] [-L] [-P] [-D debugopts] [-Olevel] [path...] [expression]

DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of find. GNU find searches the directory tree
rooted at each given file name [...]
Of course if the OP has a file whose path is, for instance, /tmp/AtestB/johndoe, it will be matched as well (according to the other tests).

Quote:
As vbe stated, files with that pattern need to be matched, -name '*test*' should be used.
It should != it must. Smilie

Quote:
If rm is not unlinking file1, file2, and file3, it is because of a lack of privilege, but not for a lack of trying.
No, I'm sorry. Try yourself.
--
Bye

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command exec error

Hi All, i am writing a shell script in korn shell which deletes all the files in a directory once in every 10DAYS. the directory has different format files. the script has something like this; cd /home/data/pavi echo "Please Enter the Number of Days to search for" read DAYS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find command with prune and exec

Hi, I'm using the following command to get a list of files on the system. find /releases -type f -exec ls -l > /home/sebarry/list.txt '{}' \; however, its searching a directory I don't want it to search so I know I have to use prune but I don't seem to be able to get prune and exec to work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebarry
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi People, I have a directory full of compressed files (.Z extention) In many of these files there is a string pattern (3800078163033) I want to find all file names which contain this string in their text. Regards, Abhishek (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max29583
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit code of -exec in the find command

Hi I have a little problem with the find command in a script that I'm writing. The script should check if there are some files younger than 100 seconds and then syncronise them with rsync. My find command: find -type f -cmin -100 -exec rsync -a --delete directory1/ directory2/ When I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oku
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command to use multiple -exec options

Hello All, Is there a way to make exec do a couple of operations on a single input from find? For example, find . -type d -exec ls -l "{}" ";" I would like to give the result of each "ls -l" in the above to a wc. Is that possible? I want to ls -l | wc -l inside exec. How do I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi all, Please could someone help with the following command requirement. I basically need to find files NEWER than a given file and order the result on time. My attempt so far is as follows: find . -newer <file_name> -exec ls -lrt {} ;\ But I dont seem to get the right result... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does the '\' in find -exec command

Hi, I have two scripts that remove files. One works fine and is coded find -name "syst*" -mtime +1 -exec rm {} \; The other is almost the same - only thing missing is the '\'. On that script though I keep getting: rm syst1202.file ? etc Does the \ make that difference or is it a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and move command with exec

Hi all, I am trying to find files newer than a given file and them mv them to a new location. So I far I have: find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec ls -l {} \; and find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec mv /TEMP_LOCATION {} \; find is not liking this. Anyone know how to modify the last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
EXEC(3) 								 1								   EXEC(3)

exec - Execute an external program

SYNOPSIS
string exec (string $command, [array &$output], [int &$return_var]) DESCRIPTION
exec(3) executes the given $command. PARAMETERS
o $command - The command that will be executed. o $output - If the $output argument is present, then the specified array will be filled with every line of output from the command. Trailing whitespace, such as , is not included in this array. Note that if the array already contains some elements, exec(3) will append to the end of the array. If you do not want the function to append elements, call unset(3) on the array before passing it to exec(3). o $return_var - If the $return_var argument is present along with the $output argument, then the return status of the executed command will be written to this variable. RETURN VALUES
The last line from the result of the command. If you need to execute a command and have all the data from the command passed directly back without any interference, use the passthru(3) function. To get the output of the executed command, be sure to set and use the $output parameter. EXAMPLES
Example #1 An exec(3) example <?php // outputs the username that owns the running php/httpd process // (on a system with the "whoami" executable in the path) echo exec('whoami'); ?> NOTES
Warning When allowing user-supplied data to be passed to this function, use escapeshellarg(3) or escapeshellcmd(3) to ensure that users can- not trick the system into executing arbitrary commands. Note If a program is started with this function, in order for it to continue running in the background, the output of the program must be redirected to a file or another output stream. Failing to do so will cause PHP to hang until the execution of the program ends. Note When safe mode is enabled, you can only execute files within the safe_mode_exec_dir. For practical reasons, it is currently not allowed to have .. components in the path to the executable. Warning With safe mode enabled, the command string is escaped with escapeshellcmd(3). Thus, echo y | echo x becomes echo y | echo x. SEE ALSO
system(3), passthru(3), escapeshellcmd(3), pcntl_exec(3), backtick operator. PHP Documentation Group EXEC(3)