Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting Same Lines from File(BASH) Post 302694949 by eawedat on Friday 31st of August 2012 06:43:09 PM
Old 08-31-2012
Getting Same Lines from File(BASH)

hey all,

./test
Code:
#!/bin/bash
for line in $(cat data1)
do
echo $line
done

data1
Code:
ello there
nobody says a word

Output after running the file :
Code:
hello
there
nobody
says
a
word

While output should be this :
Code:
hello there
nobody says a word

Could anyone explain/fix this?

I could use other kinds of loops that would do the job! but I am interested in understanding this kind of loop.

thanks a lot.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading lines from a file, using bash, "at" command

Hi. I have the script shown below. If I execute it form the command line it seems to work properly, but when I fun it using the unix "at" command "at -m now < ./kill-at-job.sh" It appears to hang. Below is the script, the input file, and the execution as reported in the e-mail from the "at"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use while loop in bash shell to read a file with 4 lines of gap

Hi , I am currently using the while loop in bash shell, as follows. while read line do echo $line done < file.txt However, i want to use the while loop on file.txt, which will read the file with 4 lines of gap. Ex- if file.txt is a file of 100 lines, then i want to use the loop such... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jitendriya.dash
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with comparing 2 lines in 2 different file in shell bash

Hi guys i need help with comparing lines in 2 separate files. Both files contain the same amount of lines and i need to output the difference into the 2nd file. The 1st file is always correct. 1st file (Expected.e): Tuesday, 11 August 2009 Wednesday, 12 August 2009 Thursday, 13 August 2009... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcrap
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - joining lines in a file

I’m writing a bash shell script and I want to join lines together where two variables on each line are the same ie. 12345variablestuff43212morevariablestuff 12345variablestuff43212morevariablestuff 34657variablestuff78945morevariablestuff 34657variablestuff78945morevariablestuff... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cultcha
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash keep only duplicate lines in file

hello all in my bash script I have a file and I only want to keep the lines that appear twice in the file.Is there a way to do this? thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to send lines of file to new file based on Regex

I have a file that looks like this: cat includes CORP-CRASHTEST-BU e:\crashplan\ CORP-TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man CORP-LABS_TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man What I want to do is make three new files with just those selections. So the three... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - printing range of lines from text file

I'm working on a new exercise that calls for a script that will take in two arguments on the command line (representing the range of line numbers) and will subsequently print those lines from a a specified file. Command line would look like this: ./lines_script.bash 5 15 <file.txt. The script would... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH logging to file, limit lines

BASH Gurus: Anyone know how to append continuous output command appending to a file, but limit that file to no more than 20 lines? The program I have running is simply monitoring my UDP port 53 for incoming packets endlessly. I just need to keep this file from going over 20 lines. Once the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpius2k1
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash : Checking Large file for specific lines

Morning .. I have a file with approximately 1000 lines. I want to check that the file contains, for example, 100 lines. Something like whats given below is ugly. And even if I create a function I have to call it 100 times. I may need to look through multiple files at times. Is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)