Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I cat into an array or is it not possible? Post 302694639 by Subbeh on Friday 31st of August 2012 07:17:26 AM
Old 08-31-2012
You could redirect into a while loop using something like this:

Code:
cat /etc/oratab | while read -a L ; do
   echo ${L[0]} etc...
done

Code:
cat /etc/oratab | while read file ; do i=$((${i:=-1} + 1)) ; lines[$i]="$file" ; done

Last edited by Subbeh; 08-31-2012 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: The first example doesn't really work. The second one does, but I think there is a better way to do it

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

2. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in `cat myname.txt` && for y in `cat yourname.txt`

cat myname.txt John Doe I John Doe II John Doe III ----------------------------------------------------------------------- for i in `cat myname.txt` do echo This is my name: $i >> thi.is.my.name.txt done ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danimad
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Zeilen aus Datei mit cat und grep in dynamisches Array schreiben

Hallo, ich habe eine Datei "Kino.ini" die z.B. wie folgt aussieht * KINOFILM A bla bla KINOFILM B blubb blubb KINOFILM C Ich möchte nun die Datei "Kino.ini" per cat und grep auslesen und testen ob der String KINOFILM nur mit einem '*' am Anfang vorkommt. In dieser Beispieldatei... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files, lines into array, cat vs open

Hi Everyone, I have a file: a.txt a,b,c,d,6,6,6 1,2,3,d,6,6,6 4,5,6,6,6,6,6 #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use strict; my @array = (); ### Load file into array for my $i (split '\n', `cat /tmp/a.txt`) { push @array, ; } It works. But my a.txt have 1million lines, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 3.2 - Array / Regex - IF 3rd member in array ends in 5 digits then do somthing...

Trying to do some control flow parsing based on the index postion of an array member. Here is the pseudo code I am trying to write in (preferably in pure bash) where possible. I am thinking regex with do the trick, but need a little help. pesudo code if == ENDSINFIVEINTS ]]; then do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays: rebin/interpolate smaller array to large array

hello, i need a bit of help on how to do this effectively in bash without a lot of extra looping or massive switch/case i have a long array of M elements and a short array of N elements, so M > N always. M is not a multiple of N. for case 1, I want to stretch N to fit M arrayHuge H = (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)