Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I/O bound computing clusters
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing I/O bound computing clusters Post 302691975 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 26th of August 2012 10:17:02 PM
Old 08-26-2012
Is it a database or a LUN? Either way you can get to the data, but you do have a wonderful chance of becoming i/o bound.

There are ways around this: creating logical partitions either as tables or LUNs, each on separate physical LUN/tablspace file/devices.

Can you give us more information?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. High Performance Computing

question about clusters

hello all...first off let me say hi and im really glad to be apart of this community....tried to join awhile back but i couldnt for some reason im a highschool student and im eager to learn and what im trying to learn now is clusters i have 3 computers in my room all connected on a simple hub ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hexadecimal0011
1 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Event Cloud Computing - IBM Turning Data Centers Into ?Computing Cloud?

Tim Bass Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:55:07 +0000 *I predict we may experience less*debates*on the use of the term “event cloud”*related to*CEP in the future, now that both IBM and Google* have made announcements about “cloud computing” and “computing cloud”, IBM Turning Data Centers Into ‘Computing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. Solaris

List zones bound to a pool

How to get the list of zones which are bound to a pool say appPool. Rather then logging in each zone and then check from pool stat command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
3 Replies

4. Programming

env not bound: BEDEWORK

I was trying to test dump data on bedework jxi console however I got the error below.I'm using debian as my OS and installed quickstart bedework on it. Pls advise what am I missing. thanks Caused by: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: env not bound at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

5. Solaris

VCS Clusters

:)Hi, can someone please explain VCS clustering and where do we need VCS clusters ..? :o:)Thanks in advance :o:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitbisht9
1 Replies

6. Linux

Memory bound error...

Hi all, Am getting the below error for a job that is run in our system. error code: 114, pc=0, call=1, seg=0 114 Attempt to access item beyond bounds of memory (Signal 11) This job uses a cobol program and as far as I know, the problem is related to this cobol program. What does this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: das.somik
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Bound, Unbound, Idle, Listening,

Hi Guys, I am studying netstat and I am getting confused a lot. I will be glad if someone will be kind enough to explain to me : 1) bound port 2) unbound port 3) idle 4 listening I will very much appreciate it. Thanks guys We have a special forum with special rules for homework (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
3 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to fix the CPU bound issues on AIX?

Hi All, Can you please answer my question. i see lot of CPU utilization on AIX LPARs. i am able to find the cause of the probelm. But i do not know how to mitigate or fix the problem. for instance, i found the process which is consuming most of CPU. i informed the responsible team. how... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: get upper and lower bound per group

Hi all, I've data as: 22 51018157 51018157 exonic CHKB nonsynonymous SNV 22 51018204 51018204 exonic CHKB nonsynonymous SNV 22 51018428 51018428 exonic CHKB nonsynonymous SNV 22 51018814 51018814 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
4 Replies
scsimgr_estape(7)					 Miscellaneous Information Manual					 scsimgr_estape(7)

NAME
scsimgr_estape - SCSI class driver estape plug-in for scsimgr DESCRIPTION
The SCSI class driver plug-in for implements management and diagnostic operations specific to classes of devices bound to driver is the native HP-UX SCSI class driver that handles, by default, all tape devices. The plug-in handles the following operations for driver estape: o Display and clear driver global statistics and the statistics it maintains on instances of LUNs bound to it, and on related LUN paths. o Display status and other information maintained by driver on LUNs bound to it. o Get, set and save driver global and per-lun instance attributes. Commands The user can explicitly send the following scsimgr commands to driver plug-in by specifying the Clears statistics. Displays information on attributes. Displays status and other information. Displays statistics. Saves value of attributes in a persistent store. Set current values of attributes. Note: Refer to scsimgr(1M) for syntax of the above commands. However, the only instances where it is necessary to explicitly send a command to the plug-in is when performing operations on objects global to driver global statistics, attributes or status information. In all the other cases, automatically invokes the plug-in to perform the driver specific part of the operation, when the operation applies to LUNs bound to driver estape or to their LUN paths. Attributes The following table lists driver estape specific attributes. For details on the concept of attribute refer to scsimgr(1M). Note: The following conventions are used: o RO is Read Only. o RW is Read Write. o VBM is Variable Block Mode. o uint32 is unsigned 32 bits integer. o uint64 is unsigned 64 bits integer. o Range of values for applicable attributes is listed. ------------------------------------------------------------------- Object Attribute Name RO/RW Type Description ------------------------------------------------------------------- Global version RO string Version of driver estape ------------------------------------------------------------------- norewind_ RW uint32 Disables the ability to close_disabled open a "rewind" device. Default: 0 Values: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled). Note: This tunable was named "st_san_safe" in releases prior to HP-UX 11i v3. ------------------------------------------------------------------- st_ats_enable RW uint32 Determines whether to reserve the device on open and release on close. See st_ats_enable(5). Default: 0 Values: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled). Note: This tunable was named "st_ats_enabled" in releases prior to HP-UX 11i v3. ------------------------------------------------------------------- LUN default_secs RW uint32 Timeout for all commands not referenced below. Default: 60 ------------------------------------------------------------------- space_secs RW uint32 Timeout for the space command. Default: 1200 ------------------------------------------------------------------- write_secs RW uint32 Timeout for the write command. Default: 600 ------------------------------------------------------------------- read_secs RW uint32 Timeout for the read com- mand. Default: 1200 ------------------------------------------------------------------- unload_secs RW uint32 Timeout for the unload command. Default: 600 ------------------------------------------------------------------- rewind_secs RW uint32 Timeout for the rewind command. Default: 600 ------------------------------------------------------------------- erase_secs RW uint32 Timeout for the erase command. Default: 18000 ------------------------------------------------------------------- mt_type RW uint32 The type of device a par- ticular LUN is associated with. Default: 0 Values: 0 = unknown, 5 = HPIB 9-track 6 = DDS1 7 = All other DDS/DAT 8 = Scsi 9-track 9 = QIC 10 = 8mm 11 = IBM 3480, STK 9XXX, STK T10000 12 = Quantum DLT 13 = Sony AIT 14 = IBM 3590 15 = LTO ------------------------------------------------------------------- default_block- RW uint32 Default blocksize. size Default: 0 0 = variable, overridden by a custom DSF. ------------------------------------------------------------------- default_ir RW uint32 Default immediate report- ing. Default: 1 Values: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled) ------------------------------------------------------------------- close_marks RW uint32 Number of filemarks to indicate End of Data. Default: 2 ------------------------------------------------------------------- num_partitions RW uint32 Number of partitions sup- _supp ported Default: 1 Range: 1+ ------------------------------------------------------------------- characteristics RW uint64 Driver characteristics bitwise or'd together Default: 0 1 = Device supports set- marks 2 = Logpage 31 contains capacity information 4 = Logpage 38 contains capacity information 8 = Device supports Reserve/Release ------------------------------------------------------------------- best_density RW uint32 Tape Density to write. Default: 0x7f 0xFFFFFFFF = Best Density 0x00 = Let the device choose the density 0x7f = Do not modify tape density. other = a valid density code for the Mode Parame- ter Block Descriptor. ------------------------------------------------------------------- best_compression RW uint32 Compression Algorithm to use Default: 0 0x00 = Compression Dis- abled 0xDEF = default for drive other = a valid compres- sion value for the Data Compression Mode Page(0x0F). ------------------------------------------------------------------- clean_req_ RW uint32 The Key/Code/Qualifier sns_info representing "Cleaning Required" Default: 0xffffffff ------------------------------------------------------------------- I/O Load Balancing and Multi-Pathing Policies The driver does not support load balancing and has minimal support for multi-pathing. When the device is first opened after a system boot, a path is chosen and will remain fixed. If the path fails, the next open will pick a new path. EXAMPLES
To display plug-in general help and supported commands: To get driver global statistics: To clear driver global statistics: To get driver global status information: To display information about driver global attributes: AUTHOR
SCSI class driver plug-in for was developed by Hewlett Packard Company. SEE ALSO
scsictl(1M), scsimgr(1M), norewind_close_disabled(5), st_ats_enable(5), intro(7), scsi(7), scsi_tape(7). scsimgr_estape(7)