Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting recursively going through folders and subdirectorys and running delete from crontab Post 302691517 by methyl on Friday 24th of August 2012 04:55:08 PM
Old 08-24-2012
If you "get errors", please post sample error messages.

I'm concerned that you appear to be running this cron once every minute when it is the sort of cron you might run once a day or once a week. I suspect that you will have multiple copies of the cron running concurrently which will be anarchy!

The reply by Subbeh is much better use of find syntax because find not Shell expands the wildcards.

Please remember to post what Operating System and version you have and what Shell you are using. There is much variation in the find command and your original syntax would be invalid on many versions of unix and could generate a command which is too long on others.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete files recursively in the specified directory

I have to write a shell script which can delete all the files and directories recursively inside the specified directory but should not delete the specified directory. Please some body help me in writing the script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepthi.s
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursively delete the text between 2 strings from a file

i have 200000bytes size of a unix file i need to delete some text between two strings recursively using a loop with sed or awk . these two strings are : 1st string getting from a file :::2 nd string is fi...its constant . can anyone help me sed -n'/<1 st string >/,/fi/' <input_filename> is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all injected code recursively

Recently all of the php files on my server got injected with some dating site code and I'm trying to get rid of it all at once. I've tried using sed but I don't know how to escape it correctly because I don't really know what I'm doing. Could you guys help me with the syntax? find ./* -type f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ISOcrates
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files Recursively *thumbs*.jpg

Greetings, I need to delete all files that contain the word thumbs. Those files are spread all throughout sub-directories in a file directory tree. Is there a script or single line command that will find all files with the word thumbs, and simply delete the file? For example: Delete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ..Chris..
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete recursively contents of folders

hi, I've a folder structure like : /home/project/LIBNAMEA/FILE1 /home/project/LIBNAMED/FILE2 /home/project/LIBNAMEC/FILE3 /home/project/LIBNAMED/FILE4 /home/project/LIBNAMEX/FILE5 (there is no relation in the letters after the project/ ) and i need to delete the files keeping... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtmartins
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

RSYNC script to transfer folders recursively without overwriting via FTP

Hi all, I would need a bash script to sync/transfer folders recursively via FTP/RSYNC (I initially planned to use FTP but I heard RSYNC would fit a lot better for this job(?)) The situation: 3 different Linux servers 1. source 2. destination - Samba 3. Server where the script runs on ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibautp
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursively delete only specified directories with given pattern

Hi All, We have a requirement to recursively delete the directories and its subdirectories older than 60 days based on timestamp (folder creation timestamp)under certain directory. However it has some specific requirements. The directories will continue to be there upto any depth. the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcvasu
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete empty directories recursively - HP-UX

Hi, I want to delete all empty directories in a long directore tree structure. I want to use that from a script that will run on HP-UX 11. My definition of empty directory is that there is no regular file under it and directly beneath it. To elaborate, I have below directories. /app/dev/java... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp script to copy folders recursively

hi all I want a script that will use ftp to copy folder and sub folders from source server to current server. if i use -r switch then it just copies folders for 5 level. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How best to remove certain characters from filenames and folders recursively

hello, I'm trying to figure out which tool is best for recursively renaming and files or folders using the characters \/*?”<>| in their name. I've tried many examples that use Bash, Python and Perl, but I'm not much of a programmer I seem to have hit a roadblock. Does anyone have any... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
15 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.11 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)