Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Joining Two Files Does not Work as Expected Post 302690581 by bakunin on Thursday 23rd of August 2012 07:23:51 AM
Old 08-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by yirgacheffe
to insert leading 0s, but this would have required more help from RudiC as my columns to join by are not necessarily t the start of the file.....i would have needed the padded 0s anywhere between columns 6 and 11...
You are welcome, but it is generally easier on all of us (including you) when you state your requirements as clearly as possible up front. We can only solve, what we are told and it is more work to come up with 3 intermediate solutions, which won't work on the real data and only then with a final solution, which actually works, than it is to do the final solution up front.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with joining two files

Greetings, all. I've got a project that requires I join two data files together, then do some processing and output. Everything must be done in a shell script, using standard unix tools. The files look like the following: File_1 Layout: Acct#,Subacct#,Descrip Sample: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjlohman
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script doesn't work as expected when run on cron

The script checks for free space stats on Oracle. If there are any tablespaces with more than 85% usage it prints the details of the tablespace. If all the tablespaces have more than 15% free space, then "All tablespaces have more than 15 pct free space" must be printed on the screen. When I run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For some reason, my grep doesn't work as expected

I am trying to find only those entries where 7018 and another number appear in the end of the line. 7018 2828 1423 2351 7018 2828 14887 2828 7018 1222 123 7018 1487 I am looking for a way to generate only the last two lines. I was trying to do just "grep '7018{1,5}" but it does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML in awk : OFS does not work as expected

Hi, I am trying to parse regular XML file where I have to reduce number of decimal points in some xml elements. I am using following AWK command to achive that : #!/bin/ksh EDITCMD='BEGIN { FS = ""; OFS=FS } { if ( $3 ~ "*\\.*" && length(substr($3,1+index($3,"."))) == 15 ) {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin.franek
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining two files

I have two comma separated files. I want to join those filesa nd put the result in separate file. smaple data are: file1: A1,1,100 A2,1,200 B1,2,100 B2,2,200 file2 1,50 1,25 1,25 1,100 1,100 2,50 2,50 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with joining files and adding headers to files

Hi, I have about 20 tab delimited text files that have non sequential numbering such as: UCD2.summary.txt UCD45.summary.txt UCD56.summery.txt The first column of each file has the same number of lines and content. The next 2 column have data points: i.e UCD2.summary.txt: a 8.9 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrdavis
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command does not work as expected

Why when I use this command do I get "E123"? echo NCE123 | sed -n 's/\(.*\)\(\{1,\}\{1,5\}\)\(.*\)/\2/p' But when I used this command, I get NCE123? echo NCE123 | sed -n 's/\(.*\)\(\{3\}\{1,5\}\)\(.*\)/\2/p' I thought \{1,\} would mean any number of characters and \{1,5\ would mean 1-5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why my SETUID does not work as expected?

Hi All, Thanks for your help in advanced. Could you please kindly help on why my SETUID does not work? create a file, only root can read write it /tmp>ls -l a.log -rw------- 1 root root 3 Nov 12 18:57 a.log create a script under root with SETUID /tmp>ls -l a.sh -rwsr-sr-x 1 root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: summer_cherry
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script does not work as expected

Repeat this text in a file named notes.txt and run the script Before bash is a good language a blank line appears Also, the following notes are displayed incorrectly What is bad? ================================== Title : Note 1 ================================== Category: Computer Date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesar60
3 Replies
join(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   join(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
[options] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 or file2 is the standard input is used. file1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing collating sequence (see Environment Variables below) on the fields on which they are to be joined; normally the first in each line. The output contains one line for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally consists of the common field followed by the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. The default input field separators are space, tab, or new-line. In this case, multiple separators count as one field separator, and lead- ing separators are ignored. The default output field separator is a space. Some of the below options use the argument n. This argument should be a or a referring to either file1 or file2, respectively. Options In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is or Replace empty output fields by string s. Join on field m of both files. The argument m must be delimited by space characters. This option and the following two are provided for backward compatibility. Use of the and options ( see below ) is recommended for portability. Join on field m of file1. Join on field m of file2. Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form where n is a file number and m is a field number. The common field is not printed unless specifically requested. Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. The character c is used as the field sepa- rator for both input and output. Instead of the default output, produce a line only for each unpairable line in file_number, where file_number is or Join on field f of file 1. Fields are numbered starting with 1. Join on field f of file 2. Fields are numbered starting with 1. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the collating sequence expects from input files. determines the alternative blank character as an input field separator, and the interpretation of data within files as single and/or multi- byte characters. also determines whether the separator defined through the option is a single- or multi-byte character. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of ``C'' (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationaliza- tion variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to ``C'' (see environ(5)). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported with the exception that multi-byte-character file names are not supported. EXAMPLES
The following command line joins the password file and the group file, matching on the numeric group ID, and outputting the login name, the group name, and the login directory. It is assumed that the files have been sorted in the collating sequence defined by the or environment variable on the group ID fields. The following command produces an output consisting all possible combinations of lines that have identical first fields in the two sorted files sf1 and sf2, with each line consisting of the first and third fields from and the second and fourth fields from WARNINGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of with the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of and are incongruous. Numeric filenames may cause conflict when the option is used immediately before listing filenames. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
awk(1), comm(1), sort(1), uniq(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
join(1)