Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ssmtp
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu ssmtp Post 302690021 by Lem on Wednesday 22nd of August 2012 11:11:38 AM
Old 08-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by thailand
I don't find how to stop sSMTP so this server only
works when I want.
sudo etc//init.d/ssmtp stop doesn't work because
ssmtp isn't in init.d
I do not use ssmtp, but from apt-cache show ssmtp I can read:
Quote:
A secure, effective and simple way of getting mail off a system to your
mail hub. It contains no suid-binaries or other dangerous things - no mail
spool to poke around in, and no daemons running in the background. Mail is
simply forwarded to the configured mailhost. Extremely easy configuration.
WARNING: the above is all it does; it does not receive mail, expand aliases
or manage a queue. That belongs on a mail hub with a system administrator.
--
Bye

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

ssmtp error : Cannot open <ip_address>:25

Hello, I am facing a problem with ssmtp mailing agent. I have installed and configured ssmtp in my RHEL5.3 system. I have written a shell script which sends mail to a couple of email id's. The script uses ssmtp to send mails. When I am running the scipt manually i.e. sh <script_name>.sh then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senrooy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Configuring ssmtp

Hi, I have trouble in configuring ssmtp for sending mail to gmail. I have configured the following way, plz suggest/correct me if i have done something wrong root=nagiostool@gmail.com mailhub=smtp.gmail.com:587 #RewriteDomain= # The full hostname Hostname=nagiosxi # Set this to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagios
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Fixed Itself!] Sending mail form script using sSMTP does not work

I have installed sSMTP and set it up to use my gmail. Sending from cli does work fine: msg file:From: test@gmail.com To test2@gmail.com Subject: test post This is a test Executing from console:ssmtp -t < msg does work fine. But from script it does not work:#!/bin/sh ssmtp -t < msg... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Problem setting up SSMTP with Office 365

Hi guys! Im trying to setup my box so it can send its emails through Office 365 SMTP. I spent 8 hours yesterday trying to configure sendmail to do this, but I gave up. Now Im trying to do it with SSMTP and I followed this guide to configure it How to install and configure sSMTP on CentOS /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
0 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Ssmtp -t < /path/to/the/message.txt (How to format message.txt for html email)

ssmtp has been running well under Kubuntu 12.04.1 for plain text messages. I would like to send html messages with ssmtp -t < /path/to/the/message.txt, but I cannot seem to get the message.txt file properly formatted. I have tried various charsets, Content-Transfer-Encoding, rearranging the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ronald B
0 Replies
SSMTP.CONF(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						     SSMTP.CONF(5)

NAME
ssmtp.conf -- ssmtp configuration file DESCRIPTION
ssmtp reads configuration data from /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf The file contains keyword-argument pairs, one per line. Lines starting with '#' and empty lines are interpreted as comments. The possible keywords and their meanings are as follows (both are case-insensitive): Root The user that gets all mail for userids less than 1000. If blank, address rewriting is disabled. Mailhub The host to send mail to, in the form host port | IP_addr port [: port]. The default port is 25. RewriteDomain The domain from which mail seems to come. for user authentication. Hostname The full qualified name of the host. If not specified, the host is queried for its hostname. FromLineOverride Specifies whether the From header of an email, if any, may override the default domain. The default is ``no''. UseTLS Specifies whether ssmtp uses TLS to talk to the SMTP server. The default is ``no''. UseSTARTTLS Specifies whether ssmtp does a EHLO/STARTTLS before starting SSL negotiation. See RFC 2487. TLSCert The file name of an RSA certificate to use for TLS, if required. AuthUser The user name to use for SMTP AUTH. The default is blank, in which case SMTP AUTH is not used. sent without AuthPass The password to use for SMTP AUTH. AuthMethod The authorization method to use. If unset, plain text is used. May also be set to ``cram-md5''. FILES
/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf Contains configuration data for ssmtp. SEE ALSO
ssmtp(8) AUTHORS
Matt Ryan (mryan@debian.org), Hugo Haas (hugo@debian.org), Christoph Lameter (clameter@debian.org) and Dave Collier-Brown (dav- ecb@hobbes.ss.org). Reuben Thomas (rrt@sc3d.org) wrote the man page. BSD
October 7, 2004 BSD