Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to keep tab from being converted to space Post 302689983 by elixir_sinari on Wednesday 22nd of August 2012 10:17:29 AM
Old 08-22-2012
When evaluating, double-quote the variable line:
Code:
echo "$line"

Quote:
Originally Posted by esolvepolito
because I want to use awk over the lines, I hope the 'tab' can be kept
You are looping over the file lines to use awk on a line at a time? That'd be pretty inefficient. You may replace everything in the loop with just a single awk.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

replace tab with space

How do I replace a tab with a space in scripts using sed/awk ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avnerht
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a <tab> space?

I've tried this: echo "${bold}User${norm} : u"\t"${bold}All Users ${norm} : a\t" and i got this output: Specific User : u\tAll User: a\t (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Consecutive spaces within input being converted to single space

I'm reading from a file that is semi-colon delimited. One of the fields contains 2 spaces separating the first and last name (4th field in - "JOHN<space><space> DOE"): e.g. TORONTO;ONTARIO;1 YONGE STREET;JOHN DOE;CANADA When I read this record and either echo/print to screen or write to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NinersFan
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in tab space !

i have a commad that display the total each directory size in KB.Below the commad and o/p: ls -ltr | grep ^d | awk '{print $9}' | xargs du -sk output: what i want is the proper tab space b/w value and dir.? how to get that. thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to find space and tab.

Wants to print line when there exist leading or trailing space or tab in fields 2,3 and 5 The below code prints all lines in file even if they dont have leading and trailing space or tab. nawk -F"|" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) {if ($i ~ "^*" || $i ~ "*$")}}1' file file Ouput required: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

So I converted columns to rows but I want it to be tab delimited and also I want.....

Hi, So my file looks like this: title number JR 2 JR 2 JR 4 JR 5 NM 5 NM 8 NM 2 NM 8 I used this line that I wrote to convert it to rows so it will look like this: awk -F"\t" '!/^$/{a=a" "$3} END {for ( i in a) {print i,a}}' occ_output.tab > test.txt JR 2 2 4 5 NM 5 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delimiter: Tab or Space?

Hello, Is there a direct command to check if the delimiter in your file is a tab or a space? And how can they be converted from one to another. Thanks, G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing only the first space to a tab in a space delimited text file

Hi, I have a space delimited text file but I only want to change the first space to a tab and keep the rest of the spaces intact. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space if any in a variable?

I have a variable sumOfJEOutputFile which is the output file of an SQL command which contains the output of that SQL. The output looks like below: ----------- 58 I am using following code to manipulate the output: (sed 1,2d $sumOfJEOutputFile > $newTemp1 | sed '$d' $newTemp1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace space by tAB

My file looks like 3 33 210.01.10.0 2.1 1211 560 26 45 1298 98763451112 15412323499 INPUT OK 3 233 40.01.10.0 2.1 1451 780 54 99 1876 78787878784 15423210199 CANCEL OK Aim is to replace the spaces in each line by tab Used: sed -e 's/ */\t/g' But I get output like this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sa@@
3 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)