Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX mksysb, lpp_source and SPOT version matching Post 302689515 by SamuraiMark on Tuesday 21st of August 2012 02:39:41 PM
Old 08-21-2012
mksysb, lpp_source and SPOT version matching

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand the requirements for AIX version matching between a SPOT, LPP_SOURCE and my mksysb images. I have a NIM server installed, and I've used it to install new LPARs both from the LPP_SOURCE and from mksysb files. These were based off 7100-00-01.

Recently I created a new mksysb with updated AIX. I installed 7100-00-01, and patched up to 7100-01-04. Applied all my usual customizations, made a new mksysb and copied that over to the NIM server.

However, I cannot use the new mksysb to install new LPARs because of the version mismatch between the mksysb (7100-01-04) and the LPP_SOURCE (7100-00-01).

Do I need an LPP_SOURCE (and SPOT?) that exactly matches the mksysb? I imagine I'll need to create a new LPP_SOURCE every time I update the source LPARs from which I create my mksysb?

- Mark

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Spot

does somebody know about SPOT ?? any link about SPOT commands ? i ve made a mistake during configuration, :mad: then i ve started the system in Maintenance mode the only shell was SPOT. :eek: SPOT doesn t understand anything.... how do i work with SPOT ? thanks in advance Karine... :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karine
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spot the difference

I posted earlier with a problem it's here, I have edited the script a little and it tells me once more that the end of line is unexpected and I'm really lost with this one, thanks for any help. The new version: #!/bin/sh case $# in 0) echo "Usage: enshar filename1 filename2 " >&2 ;;... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dim-Wit
20 Replies

3. AIX

SPOT requirement

Hey May be a dumb question Can I use a SPOT which is at 5.3 TL6 to boot an LPAR (with 5.3 TL8) in to maintenance mode? Will it work ? Is it mandatory that SPOT should be of same or higher version in such case? Bala (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
1 Replies

4. AIX

HELP: Howto update an lpp_source in NIM

I'm SO confused about the question of whether I can or cannot update an lpp_source with a bunch of patches. Someone I know who I think knows a lot about AIX and NIM says I should never do this. But I'm looking at the Redbook "NIM from A to Z in AIX 5L", which seems to describe exactly how to do it,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgphelps
10 Replies

5. AIX

how to make a spot

HI. there My 10 servers are running on 6.1-05-03 aix including NIM server but my user want to update a TL (61-05-03 to 61-06-04) if I Update a AIx version of TL .. is that change the SPOT of NIM server.. OR if I make a spot of AIX7.1 and Is that support AIX 6.1 AIX 5.3 Images I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jeon Jun Seok
1 Replies

6. AIX

Add a bundle to a lpp_source

Hi. I forgot a bundle (X11.dt) in the lpp_source (base OS AIX 7.1). The bundle is now in the CD drive, I need to add it permanently in the lpp_source. What do I have to do ? - copy (where ?) bundle on my NIM server (how to determine what files to copy to have all elements of the bundle ?) ?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stephnane
1 Replies

7. AIX

Unable to Create spot from mksysb

Hello All, Kindly need help in my problem i.e. I get this error when i create spot from mksysb. #0042-001 nim: processing error encountered on "master": 0042-001 m_mkspot: processing error encountered on "master": 0042-175 c_mkspot: An unexpected result was returned by the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emerann
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can anyone help me to spot my mistake?

Hi there can anyone help me to spot my mistake and please explain why it appears My code : #!/usr/bin/gawk -f BEGIN { bytes =0} { temp=$(grep "datafeed\.php" | cut -d" " -f8) bytes += temp} END { printf "Number of bytes: %d\n", bytes } when I am running ./q411 an411 an411: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
6 Replies

9. AIX

Creating NIM SPOT using an existing mksysb from cliet

Hi, i backed up a test LPAR using mksyb utility on AIX. and transferred it to NIM server via NFS. I want to create a SPOT using this mksysb . Please explain me the procedure. And got something online, but that procedure is different. Please respond. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

10. AIX

Update vs. install media, and LPP_SOURCE naming

Hello all, Relative AIX novice here: I'm trying to clarify the naming of AIX install vs. update media, and how best to name my lpp_sources on my NIM server. An example: I have two sets of DVDs from IBM (ordered via Entitled Software Support) sitting in front of me for 7100-03-04. One set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dmark
1 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 					  System Administration Utilities					   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB to a device SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --modules=MODULES pre-load specified modules MODULES --boot-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR/grub instead of the /boot/grub directory --grub-setup=FILE use FILE as grub-setup --grub-mkimage=FILE use FILE as grub-mkimage --grub-mkrelpath=FILE use FILE as grub-mkrelpath --grub-mkdevicemap=FILE use FILE as grub-mkdevicemap --grub-probe=FILE use FILE as grub-probe --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --allow-floppy Make the drive also bootable as floppy (default for fdX devices). May break on some BIOSes. --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists --force install even if problems are detected --disk-module=MODULE disk module to use INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into /boot/grub, and uses grub-setup to install grub into the boot sector. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub-mkconfig(8), grub-mkimage(1), grub-setup(8), grub-mkrescue(1) The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GRUB) 1.99-12ubuntu5 October 2011 GRUB-INSTALL(8)