Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To print certain patterns in a column Post 302689169 by agama on Monday 20th of August 2012 10:26:29 PM
Old 08-20-2012
What is the output of awk --version

Both the programme that I posted, and that leafei posted generate expected results with awk Version 4.0.0.

Are you sure that your columns are tab separated? If it's not, that would cause my solution to fail; leafei's match() works against the whole record and thus wouldn't be subject to that issue if the file is not tab separated.
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl print between 2 patterns

I have been unable to find this anywhere; I have a multiline variable, and I want to print the text between two patterns in that variable. So the variable is My real name is not DeadmanAnd I need the output to be this, by printing between "real" and "not" name is or including the two... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: killer54291
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines between 2 matching patterns

Hi Guys, I have file like below, I want to print all lines between test1231233 to its 10 occurrence(till line 41) test1231233 qwe qwe qweq123 test1231233 qwe qwe qweq23 test1231233 qwe qwe qweq123 test1231233 qwe qwe qweq123131 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagnikam
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for the two patterns and print everything in between

Hi all, I have a file having data: @HWUSI-EAS1727:19:6:1:3674:984:0:1#GTTAATA NTTGGGTTTTCT @HWUSI-EAS1727:19:6:1:3674:984:0:1#GTTA... NTTGGGTTTTCT @HWUSI-EAS1727:19:6:1:3674:984:0:1#.....CT NTTGGGTTTTCT I want to print everything starting from # till line ends. can you please help me how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pirates.genome
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print between patterns AND a few lines before

I need to print out sections (varying numbers of lines) of a file between patterns. That alone is easy enough: sed -n '/START/,/STOP/' I also need the 3 lines BEFORE the start pattern. That alone is easy enough: grep -B3 START But I can't seem to combine the two so that I get everything between the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print only lines in between patterns?

Hi, I want to print only lines (green-italic lines) in between first and last strings in column 9. there are different number of lines between each strings. 10 AUGUSTUS exon 4558 4669 . - . 10.g1 10 AUGUSTUS exon 8771 8889 . ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamo
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print all lines between patterns

Hi Gurus, I have a requirement where I need to display all lines between 2 patterns except the line where the first pattern in it. I tried the following command using awk but it is printing all lines except the lines where the 2 patterns exist. awk '/TRANSF_/{ P=1; next } /Busy/ {exit} P'... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print between multiple patterns

Hello Gurus, I have a file this Dir Path 1 Connection pool="somename"; "DataSource Name"="DS name"; Password="pwd"; User Id="uid";some other fields Dir Path2 Password="pwd2"; User id="uid2"; Connection pool="somename2"; "datasource name"="DS name2";some other fields. Under each dir... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirababu
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Print New Column For Every Two Lines and Match On Multiple Column Values to print another column

Hi, My input files is like this axis1 0 1 10 axis2 0 1 5 axis1 1 2 -4 axis2 2 3 -3 axis1 3 4 5 axis2 3 4 -1 axis1 4 5 -6 axis2 4 5 1 Now, these are my following tasks 1. Print a first column for every two rows that has the same value followed by a string. 2. Match on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matched patterns and print them with other patterns not the whole line

Hi, I am trying to extract some patterns from a line. The input file is space delimited and i could not use column to get value after "IN" or "OUT" patterns as there could be multiple white spaces before the next digits that i need to print in the output file . I need to print 3 patterns in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print different multiple lines after two patterns?

Hello, I need to print some lines as explained below, TXT example 1111 2222 3333 4444 5555 6666 7777 8888 6666 9999 1111 2222 3333 4444 5555 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
8 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)