Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiple file rename
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple file rename Post 302688301 by Sabreur on Saturday 18th of August 2012 03:03:03 PM
Old 08-18-2012
Multiple file rename

I've been googling for days but can't find a solution to this problem.

I have a number of sets of files on a server

file02.dat
file12.dat

/.../fred(1 to n)/bill(1 to m)/tony/joe/

in any "fred" branch there will be one or more "bill"s
some joe/'s may not have a fileset and could be empty.

the files need to be renumbered file01.dat.. file11.dat

ie. mv file02.dat file01.dat

if you prefer the filenames could be 01file.dat or any variation.

If I can get it to work, this will be a last day of the month cronjob

Is there a solution to this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with multiple file rename - change case of part of file name

Hi there, I hope someone can help me with this problem : I have a directory (/var/www/file/imgprofil) which contains about 10000 JPG files. They have a naming convention thus : prefix-date-key-suffix.jpg they all have the prefix p-20050608- then AAAA is a 4 letter code the suffix is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve7
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to rename multiple files that retain some portion of the original file nam

Well the title is not too good, so I will explain. I need to move (rename) files using a simple AIX script. ???file1.txt ???file2.txt ???file1a.txt ???file2a.txt to be: ???renamedfile1'date'.txt ???renamedfile2'date'.txt ???renamedfile1a'date'.txt ???renamedfile2a'date'.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimace15
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple file from file listing

I am new at Linux/UNIX programming. Here is my problem. I had one big file which I split using the command csplit -k -s -f april.split. april '/^ISA/' '{10000}' So now I have multiple files with names april.split.01 april.split.02 april.split.03 But I need the name of the file like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yshahiac
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename (change in filename in unix with single command

Dear All, Please help ! i ham having 300 file with E.G. PMC1_4567.arc in seq. like PMC1_4568.arc,PMC1_4569.arc ...n and so on.. i want all those file to be rename like PMC_4567.arc ,PMC_4568.arc .. mean i want to remove 1 from first file name .. pls help.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moon_22
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For Loop To Rename Multiple Files Finds One Non-existant File

Okay so here's something that's confusing me: I have a script that's designed to remove the words "new_" from the front of any file except two exceptions and it looks something like this... for i in new_* do if ] && ]; then j=`echo "$i"|cut -c5-` mv $i $j fi done ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Korn0474
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple file names in a directory

I hope some one can help me I have multiple files in a directory with out extension like as below mentioned. But i want to change all the file names along .DDMMYYYYHHMISS format. And all files should have same DDMMYYYYHHMISS. Scenario: direcory name = /vol/best/srcfiles files in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hari001
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple file rename

hi im new to linux and was just wondering if some 1 could help me i have folders with T.V. series in them and i would like to delete part of the filename e.g. (series name).s01e01.(episode name) (series name).s01e02.(episode name) (series name).s01e03.(episode name) (series... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevemcd1990
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple File Rename based on pattern - one line

All, I wanted to copy the files From: Daily_XYZ_TEST_1.csv Daily_XYZ_TEST_2.csv Daily_XYZ_TEST_3.csv Daily_XYZ_TEST_4.csv To: Daily_ABC_TEST_1.csv Daily_ABC_TEST_2.csv Daily_ABC_TEST_3.csv Daily_ABC_TEST_4.csv I have tried the rename command but it is not working (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename Multiple Files

Hey guys, I am the definition of a newbie. I am in the process of trying to rip all my dvds onto a new HTPC I setup. While doing this, I am also trying to organize a bunch of other files I already have to proper naming conventions. So far I have just been naming each file separately (I am on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralze34
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename multiple file names?

Hi all, I need to rename more file name in one command or script. The files have this structure: XxY - filename.doc where X and Y are numbers and the x is the letter itself. I need to rename these files with this structure: string.S0XEY.filename.doc the string is a suffix that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: idro
8 Replies
geom(1) 																   geom(1)

NAME
geom - analyzes a molecular geometry input in Cartesian coordinates. DESCRIPTION
The program geom reads a set of Cartesian coordinates and determines from them the bond distances (Bohr and angstrom), bond angles, tor- sional angles, out-of-plane angles (optional), moments of inertia, and rotational constants. FILES REQUIRED
input.dat - Input file and one of the following: geom.dat - geometry file file11.dat - PSI-format geometry/gradient file FILES GENERATED
geom.out - file containing the analysis INPUT OPTIONS
The geom program has the following options: -h Print help information (these options). -aces [filename] Read the input in an ACES output format, with each line consisting of atomic symbol, atomic number, and Cartesian coordinates (in Bohr). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -qchem [filename] Read the input in an QCHEM output format, with each line consisting of the atom number, the atomic symbol, and Cartesian coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -xyz [filename] Read the input in an XYZ output format. The first line contains the number of atoms and the second line is a comment line. Subse- quent lines each contain the atomic symbol and Cartesian X Y and Z coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -oop Print out-of-plane angles, where the angle a-b-c-d is defined as the angle formed by the vector a-d and the plane defined by atoms b, c, and d. DO_OOP = boolean Same as command-line switch -oop described above. ISOTOPES = matrix of reals/strings Used to specify masses to be used in the calculation of the center of mass and rotational constants. One array is provided for each isotopomer to be calculated. The arrays can mix floating point numbers with strings which designate isotopes. If this array is not given and file11.dat is present, then the masses will be obtained by converting the atomic numbers in file11. If masses are not given by ISOTOPES or by file11, then no mass-related quantities will be calculated. -g [filename] Read Cartesian coordinates from a file other than file11.dat. If a filename is not given, the default is geom.dat. The alternative file is assumed to be in a format similar to that of PSI's geom.dat. Since such files do not contain atomic numbers, the moments of inertia and rotational constants are not calculated if this option is used. READ_GEOM = boolean This option in input.dat tells geom to read the geometry from geom.dat in the PSI geom.dat format. -a Print parameters for all pair distances. PRINT_ALL_DIST = boolean Same as -a flag described above. -d distance Only print parameters involving pairs of atoms which are less than distance bohr apart (default value is 4.0 bohr). PRINT_DISTANCE = value Same as -d flag described above. -angstrom The input coordinates are in angstroms, not bohr. ANGSTROM = boolean If TRUE, the input coordinates are in angstroms instead of bohr. The default is FALSE. The following example is for calculating the geometrical information for water with several different isotopes. The geometry is read from geom.dat rather than from file11.dat. geom: ( read_geom = true isotopes = ( (O H H) (O D D) (O18 1.007825 1.007825) ) ) 5 June, 1998 geom(1)