Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Maintain health of passwd file Post 302688165 by Learn4Life on Saturday 18th of August 2012 04:56:02 AM
Old 08-18-2012
I could check for UID 0, that might yield the root account in a variety of circumstances such as root and super as you described. I certainly understand the security threat this script might produce, I even don't understand why this book even thinks that this might be a good exercise. But I think the safest way is to execute this script while the user has root privileges already. I tried running the
Quote:
Find entries that have UID0
Find any sets of entries that have duplicate UID's
Find entries that have duplicate login names
as a normal user and then ask for root password in order to to check the passwords and expiration values. So far I couldn't find a way that this script might continue automatically after the su password has been provided. But I think running it as root right from the beginning might be the way to go and is less overhead.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

/etc/passwd file

hi Does anyone anyone know what the last line of a unix user passwd file signifes? Mine shows "+:::::" best (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_mad010
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in /etc/passwd file

Hi all, As all of us know that in /etc/passwd file the first field correspond to username could any one tell me what is bin , damoen etc in the first field, and r they in user field , what is nologin in the last column ? root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed a file and maintain date stamp and permissions

I need to alter a file. I'm using sed then passing output to temp file then using touch -r to maintain the date but the permissions do not get preserved How can I sed a file and maintain date and permissions currently it's preserving the date but the permissions revert back to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyatit
3 Replies

4. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with passwd file

Not an unix expert, I read a few pages on the web about passwd files, but I didn't find the answers I need about the last 8 lines of the passwd file I'm taking a look at. I'm assuming their shortcuts to another file that may have the actual usernames of users on the system. Please, any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fusion31
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to maintain file versions

I am developing a script to maintain 'n' number of versions of a file. The script will take a filename as a parameter and the number of versions to maintain. This basically does something like a FIFO. Here is what I developed. But something is not right. I have attached the script. Can u pls help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
2 Replies

7. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maintain health of passwd file

Hello guys I am about to write a script that is based on "The Linux Administration Handbook" The exercise is as follows: Write a shell script to help monitor the health of the /etc/passwd file. Find entries that have UID0 Find entries that have no password (needs /etc/shadow) Find any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learn4Life
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to maintain a personal password file 'safely'?

Hi all, As time progresses, the number of servers that I have to login to has grown to the hundreds. Some of the servers has NIS so I can use one single password for this group of servers. The hard part comes to when you have 20+ other servers that now require different passwords and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Removing special chars from file and maintain field separator

Running SunOs 5.6. Solaris. I've been able to remove all special characters from a fixed length file which appear in the first column but as a result all subsequent columns have shifted to the left by the amount of characters deleted. It is a space separated file. Line 1 in input file is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iffy290
6 Replies
dsenableroot(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   dsenableroot(8)

NAME
dsenableroot -- enables or disables the root account. SYNOPSIS
dsenableroot [-d] [-u username] [-p password] [-r rootPassword] DESCRIPTION
dsenableroot sets the password for the root account if enabling the root user account. Otherwise, if disable [-d] is chosen, the root account passwords are removed and the root user is disabled. A list of flags and their descriptions: -u username Username of a user that has administrative privileges on this computer. -p password Password to use in conjunction with the specified username. If this is not specified, you will be prompted for entry. -r rootPassword Password to be used for the root account. If this is not specified for enabling, you will be prompted for entry. EXAMPLES
-dsenableroot Your username will be used and you will be queried for both your password and the new root password to be set to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d Your username will be used and you will be queried for only your password to disable the root account. -dsenableroot -u username -p userpassword -r rootpassword The supplied arguments will be used to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d -u username -p userpassword The supplied arguments will be used to disable the root account. Mac OS August 08 2003 Mac OS