Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple listing directory question Post 302687993 by PranavEcstasy on Friday 17th of August 2012 10:23:26 AM
Old 08-17-2012
use pipe

ls | sort

try using the above command....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive directory listing without listing files

Does any one know how to get a recursive directory listing in long format (showing owner, group, permission etc) without listing the files contained in the directories. The following command also shows the files but I only want to see the directories. ls -lrtR * (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psingh
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timestamp in directory listing

Hi, I need a help. I want to see all the files in the directory with the Time Stamp. I use the following command. $ls -lt This displays the files with time stamp, but not all the files. Only last few months, the files are displayed with timestamp, the old files are only have dates. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijashok
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Full Directory Listing...

Is there a way of listing everything under a directory. So for example if you wanted to know everything under the USR directory you would get all the sub directories and files in those directories as well as the file directly under the USR directory. I would imagine that you could do this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i get directory listing?

Hai friends is there any command in unix that display only directories... (I have 5 directories in my home directory, and i also have some files along with directories...But when i tried to show the directory listing using the command ls -d i wasn't presented by the directory listing...Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haisubbu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting Directory Listing

If I do an ls -l on a directory I get this: -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 5248094 Jun 24 03:56 monitor.log.7 -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 5248303 Jul 11 11:19 ct.log.1 -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 5248907 Jun 29 06:01 ct_monitor.log.5 -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 5249042 Jun 19... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sepia
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory Listing Help

i have searched through this site and have found some useful information but i'm struggling with one thing. In my script i am created a start and end file so I can get a listing of the files within those two files. However I want to exclude any sub-directories in this listing. Below are the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: J-DUB
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory listing

Hi, I have a directory with a bunch of files say around 150K. I want the directory's path and the filenames printed to a text file. Example: If I am in the directory /path/test and the files in this directory are My output file should be like this Thanks in advance ----------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
4 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Listing the files in a directory

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: A script that takes any number of directories as command line arguments and then lists the contents of each of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phaneendra G
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Formatted Directory Listing Question

Greetings to you. I have a quick question for the community today ;) I'm interested in the following format for recursive output from a command such as "ls" or "dir" when pointed to a folder: ...but there doesn't seem to be coverage for this type of output formatting in the manpages. Maybe... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
11 Replies
sort(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 sort(3pm)

NAME
sort - perl pragma to control sort() behaviour SYNOPSIS
use sort 'stable'; # guarantee stability use sort '_quicksort'; # use a quicksort algorithm use sort '_mergesort'; # use a mergesort algorithm use sort 'defaults'; # revert to default behavior no sort 'stable'; # stability not important use sort '_qsort'; # alias for quicksort my $current; BEGIN { $current = sort::current(); # identify prevailing algorithm } DESCRIPTION
With the "sort" pragma you can control the behaviour of the builtin "sort()" function. In Perl versions 5.6 and earlier the quicksort algorithm was used to implement "sort()", but in Perl 5.8 a mergesort algorithm was also made available, mainly to guarantee worst case O(N log N) behaviour: the worst case of quicksort is O(N**2). In Perl 5.8 and later, quicksort defends against quadratic behaviour by shuffling large arrays before sorting. A stable sort means that for records that compare equal, the original input ordering is preserved. Mergesort is stable, quicksort is not. Stability will matter only if elements that compare equal can be distinguished in some other way. That means that simple numerical and lexical sorts do not profit from stability, since equal elements are indistinguishable. However, with a comparison such as { substr($a, 0, 3) cmp substr($b, 0, 3) } stability might matter because elements that compare equal on the first 3 characters may be distinguished based on subsequent characters. In Perl 5.8 and later, quicksort can be stabilized, but doing so will add overhead, so it should only be done if it matters. The best algorithm depends on many things. On average, mergesort does fewer comparisons than quicksort, so it may be better when complicated comparison routines are used. Mergesort also takes advantage of pre-existing order, so it would be favored for using "sort()" to merge several sorted arrays. On the other hand, quicksort is often faster for small arrays, and on arrays of a few distinct values, repeated many times. You can force the choice of algorithm with this pragma, but this feels heavy-handed, so the subpragmas beginning with a "_" may not persist beyond Perl 5.8. The default algorithm is mergesort, which will be stable even if you do not explicitly demand it. But the stability of the default sort is a side-effect that could change in later versions. If stability is important, be sure to say so with a use sort 'stable'; The "no sort" pragma doesn't forbid what follows, it just leaves the choice open. Thus, after no sort qw(_mergesort stable); a mergesort, which happens to be stable, will be employed anyway. Note that no sort "_quicksort"; no sort "_mergesort"; have exactly the same effect, leaving the choice of sort algorithm open. CAVEATS
As of Perl 5.10, this pragma is lexically scoped and takes effect at compile time. In earlier versions its effect was global and took effect at run-time; the documentation suggested using "eval()" to change the behaviour: { eval 'use sort qw(defaults _quicksort)'; # force quicksort eval 'no sort "stable"'; # stability not wanted print sort::current . " "; @a = sort @b; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } { eval 'use sort qw(defaults stable)'; # force stability print sort::current . " "; @c = sort @d; eval 'use sort "defaults"'; # clean up, for others } Such code no longer has the desired effect, for two reasons. Firstly, the use of "eval()" means that the sorting algorithm is not changed until runtime, by which time it's too late to have any effect. Secondly, "sort::current" is also called at run-time, when in fact the compile-time value of "sort::current" is the one that matters. So now this code would be written: { use sort qw(defaults _quicksort); # force quicksort no sort "stable"; # stability not wanted my $current; BEGIN { $current = print sort::current; } print "$current "; @a = sort @b; # Pragmas go out of scope at the end of the block } { use sort qw(defaults stable); # force stability my $current; BEGIN { $current = print sort::current; } print "$current "; @c = sort @d; } perl v5.16.3 2013-03-04 sort(3pm)