Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk to convert a text file to CSV file with some string manipulation Post 302687929 by FreddyDaKing on Friday 17th of August 2012 09:09:02 AM
Old 08-17-2012
Thx for the quick answer. Works like a charm :-)

---------- Post updated at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:34 AM ----------

Hi again,

probably a silly question but I also need the static first line in my csv file as a headline:

Column1;Column2;Column3;Column4;Column5

How can I combine this requirement using the script:
Code:
awk '{ print substr($1, 1, 6), substr($1, 7, 11) , $2 , substr($3, 1, 6), substr($3, 7, 11) }' OFS=\; test_temp

Thx a lot!

---------- Post updated at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:06 AM ----------

Hi again,

probably a silly question but I also need the static first line in my csv file as a headline:

Column1;Column2;Column3;Column4;Column5

How can I combine this requirement using the script:
Code:
awk '{ print substr($1, 1, 6), substr($1, 7, 11) , $2 , substr($3, 1, 6), substr($3, 7, 11) }' OFS=\; test_temp

Thx a lot!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to convert a flat file to CSV file

Hi , I have a file with contents as below: Contract Cancellation Report UARCNCL LOS CODE DATE REAS TYPE AMOUNT AMOUNT LETTER BY ========= ======= ==== ==== ==== ========= ==== ==== 8174739 7641509 1S NONE CRCD 30-JUN-2008 NPAR N .00 .00 CCAN 8678696 8091709 1S NONE DDEB 30-JUN-2008... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumudha
14 Replies

2. Programming

convert text file to csv

hi all, i have a select query that gives me the output in the following way... SYSTYPE -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Success Failures Total RFT ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- TYP 1 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert entries in a text file to values in a string

How to convert entries in a text file to values in a string? ex: I have a text file list.txt with following entries : aaaa bbbb cccc dddd I want to move the values in the list.txt file to an array (names) need a small script to do that? Thanks for your help in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kukretiabhi13
3 Replies

4. Programming

awk script to convert a text file into csv format

hi...... thanks for allowing me to start a discussion i am collecting usb usage details of all users and convert it into csv files so that i can export it into some database.. the input text file is as follows:- USB History Dump by nabiy (c)2008 (1) --- Kingston DataTraveler 130 USB... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: certteam
2 Replies

5. Programming

String Manipulation in a text file

Hi I have a requirement to write a script but not sure which is the best way to approach this I have not worked in sed but I'm aware that its robust for file extraction requirements I have a scripting task. I already developed the code in perl but the script is taking almost 2 mins for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Trevor
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying extract from text file and convert csv

I want to extract IP address, system ID and engine IDs of this file ( marked in red) and put in a csv. E.g. 1.1.1.1, SYSTEMID, 000012345678981123548912 I get these file by running an expect script from solaris. Here is the text file output of my expect script. working on 1.1.1.1 SNMP... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbshillong
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert excel file to csv file or text file?

Hi all, I need to find a way to convert excel file into csv or a text file in linux command. The reason is I have hundreds of files to convert. Another complication is the I need to delete the first 5 lines of the excel file before conversion. so for instance input.xls description of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Preprocess a text file and convert into csv

Hello, I was working with Machine learning and would like to apply my regression algorithms on binary classification datasets. So I came across this adult dataset, LIBSVM Data: Classification (Binary Class) It is a binary dataset, features have values only 1 and 0. and I wanted to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file, convert the data and make one text file in UNIX shell scripting

I have input data looks like this which is a part of a csv file 7,1265,76548,"0102:04" 8,1266,76545,"0112:04" I need to make the output data should look like this and the output data will be part of text file: 7|1265000 |7654899 |A| 8|12660000 |76545999 |B| The logic behind the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
6 Replies
SUBSTR(3)								 1								 SUBSTR(3)

substr - Return part of a string

SYNOPSIS
string substr (string $string, int $start, [int $length]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the portion of $string specified by the $start and $length parameters. PARAMETERS
o $string - The input string. Must be one character or longer. o $start - If $start is non-negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th position in $string, counting from zero. For instance, in the string ' abcdef', the character at position 0 is ' a', the character at position 2 is ' c', and so forth. If $start is negative, the returned string will start at the $start'th character from the end of $string. If $string is less than or equal to $start characters long, FALSE will be returned. Example #1 Using a negative $start <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", -1); // returns "f" $rest = substr("abcdef", -2); // returns "ef" $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, 1); // returns "d" ?> o $length - If $length is given and is positive, the string returned will contain at most $length characters beginning from $start (depend- ing on the length of $string). If $length is given and is negative, then that many characters will be omitted from the end of $string (after the start position has been calculated when a $start is negative). If $start denotes the position of this trunca- tion or beyond, false will be returned. If $length is given and is 0, FALSE or NULL, an empty string will be returned. If $length is omitted, the substring starting from $start until the end of the string will be returned. Example #2 Using a negative $length <?php $rest = substr("abcdef", 0, -1); // returns "abcde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 2, -1); // returns "cde" $rest = substr("abcdef", 4, -4); // returns false $rest = substr("abcdef", -3, -1); // returns "de" ?> RETURN VALUES
Returns the extracted part of $string; or FALSE on failure, or an empty string. CHANGELOG
+--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ |5.2.2 - 5.2.6 | | | | | | | If the $start parameter indicates the position | | | of a negative truncation or beyond, false is | | | returned. Other versions get the string from | | | start. | | | | +--------------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #3 Basic substr(3) usage <?php echo substr('abcdef', 1); // bcdef echo substr('abcdef', 1, 3); // bcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 4); // abcd echo substr('abcdef', 0, 8); // abcdef echo substr('abcdef', -1, 1); // f // Accessing single characters in a string // can also be achieved using "square brackets" $string = 'abcdef'; echo $string[0]; // a echo $string[3]; // d echo $string[strlen($string)-1]; // f ?> Example #4 substr(3) casting behaviour <?php class apple { public function __toString() { return "green"; } } echo "1) ".var_export(substr("pear", 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "2) ".var_export(substr(54321, 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "3) ".var_export(substr(new apple(), 0, 2), true).PHP_EOL; echo "4) ".var_export(substr(true, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "5) ".var_export(substr(false, 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "6) ".var_export(substr("", 0, 1), true).PHP_EOL; echo "7) ".var_export(substr(1.2e3, 0, 4), true).PHP_EOL; ?> The above example will output: 1) 'pe' 2) '54' 3) 'gr' 4) '1' 5) false 6) false 7) '1200' ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Returns FALSE on error. Example #5 <?php var_dump(substr('a', 1)); // bool(false) ?> SEE ALSO
strrchr(3), substr_replace(3), preg_match(3), trim(3), mb_substr(3), wordwrap(3), String access and modification by character. PHP Documentation Group SUBSTR(3)