Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to delete word when found Post 302687685 by RudiC on Friday 17th of August 2012 02:23:55 AM
Old 08-17-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_saini20
commas can be removed in awk using gsub
Code:
gsub(",","",string)

Yes, thank you, this is what I did in my post, but in three gsubs. The question was for an intelligent/tricky regex to remove all leading, trailing, and double commas in ONE go.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete all character before certain word

Hi, For example, i have a string "123 456 789 abc 111 222 333" and I would like to delete all the characters before abc so that it becomes "abc 111 222 333" how can i do that in unix? using sed? note: I actually don't know how many words/charachters before "abc", so the "cut"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phandy
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete a word

i have created the following input script CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW MMSSENDAVGUPLOADTIME_GN AS sp_strip_mean_value_type.get_val(MMSSENDAVGUPLOADTIME) MMSSENDAVGUPLOADTIME_val sp_strip_mean_value_type.get_val(MMSSENDAVGUPLOADTIME) MMSSENDAVGUPLOADTIME_counter select... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gseptember
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line if pattern not found

I thought that this was going to be quit simple using sed but i wasn't able to find a way to delete the second line of a text file if my pattern was not found in the line With awk i am completly useless :rolleyes: Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jepeto
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete everything after/before a word in a file

I'm looking for a command that will read a file listing information and delete everything after a certain word is found. I also may need to search the file and delete everything before a certain word. The file would contains fields of information like below repeating for the entire file; Name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

prompt to delete each record when pattern is found

Hello!. I am working on a very simple program and I have been trying different things. This is so far what I have done and there is one small detail that still does not work. It finds all the records in a phonebook per say: ./rem Susan More than one match; Please select the one to remove: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bartsimpsong
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print next word after found pattern

Hi all, I'd like to print the next word after a found pattern. example text: word1 word2 word3 word4 pattern word5 pattern word1 word2 word3 word4 word1 word2 pattern word4 basiclly the word after pattern. Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the word to be deleted and delete lines above this word starting from P1 to P3

Hi, I have to search a word in a text file and then I have to delete lines above from the word searched . For eg suppose the file is like this: Records P1 10,23423432 ,77:1 ,234:2 P2 10,9089004 ,77:1 ,234:2 ,87:123 ,9898:2 P3 456456 P1 :123,456456546 P2 abc:324234 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print few lines before and after matching word is found suing grep?

Hi, here are few lines present in the logs. I want to grep on Error and print few lines before and after Error word is found line1 Line2 Line3 Error Line4 Line5 Line6 Line7 I want the output to be Line2 Line3 Error Line5 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghadeep adity
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete only if duplicates found in each record

Hi, i have another problem. I have been trying to solve it by myself but failed. inputfile ;; ID T08578 NAME T08578 SBASE 30696 EBASE 32083 TYPE P func just test func chronology func cholesterol func null INT 30765-37333 INT 37154-37318 Link 5546 Link 8142 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to search for a word in column header that fully matches the word not partially in awk?

I have a multicolumn text file with header in the first row like this The headers are stored in an array called . which contains I want to search for each elements of this array from that multicolumn text file. And I am using this awk approach for ii in ${hdr} do gawk -vcol="$ii" -F... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atta
1 Replies
SFDDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							SFDDIFF(1)

NAME
sfddiff - compare two font files SYNOPSIS
sfddiff [--help] [--ignorehints] [--ignorenames] [--ignoregpos] [--ignoregsub] [--ignorebitmaps] [--exact] [--warn] [--merge outfile] [--usage] [--version] fontfile1 fontfile2 DESCRIPTION
The program sfddiff compares two font files, which may be in any format fontforge(1) can read. It will notice the following differences: 1) Characters are present in one font but not in the other. 2) Characters are present in both fonts but have different sets of outlines or references. The outlines may be compared so that only exact matches are accepted, or so that a fuzzier match is used. Similarly references may need to match exactly, or may be matched after an unlink. This fuzzy comparison is useful when comparing truetype and postscript fonts, or when comparing a font with references to one with- out. 3) The postscript hints or truetype instructions are different. 4) The font names (the truetype `name' table) differ. 5) The kerning (and other `gpos' information) differs. 6) The ligatures (and other `gsub' information) differ. 7) Any bitmap strikes present in one font but not in the other. 8) Any bitmap characters present in one strike of one font but in the equivalent strike of the other. 9) Any bitmap characters which differ. OPTIONS
--help Provide a description with a list of the available options. --ignorehints Suppress the reporting of hint/instruction differences. --ignoregpos Suppress the reporting of kerning (and other `gpos') differences. --ignoregsub Suppress the reporting of ligature (and other `gsub') differences. --ignorenames Suppress the reporting of name string differences. --ignorebitmaps Suppress the reporting of bitmap differences. --exact Require outlines to match exactly. --warn Warn if the outlines/references are slightly different. --merge outfile Store a merged version of the two fonts into the specified output file. The merged data will be based on sfdfile1, as well as any characters present in sfdfile2 but not in sfdfile1 will be added, and the outlines of sfdfile2 will be placed in the background. Finally, for any characters with different outlines or references the background of the the character will contain the outlines from sfdfile2 (references will be unlinked into outlines and those outlines also will be added). --usage Display the usage description. --version Display the current version. SEE ALSO
fontforge(1) The HTML version of the fontforge manual at: http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/ AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 2000-2006 by George Williams (gww@silcom.com). Manual page heavily rewritten and modified to use standard -man(5) macros by R.P.C. Rodgers (rodgers@nlm.nih.gov), 23 October 2002. 8 April 2006 SFDDIFF(1)