Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Generate 16 digit positive random Numbers Post 302687337 by scorpioraghu on Thursday 16th of August 2012 11:10:39 AM
Old 08-16-2012
Generate 16 digit positive random Numbers

Hi Unix Gurus,

I have a requirement to generate positive random 16 and 13 digit numbers.

Here is the script I have so far.....

Code:
number=$RANDOM$RANDOM$RANDOM$RANDOM;
let "number %= 10000000000000";
echo $number

But sometimes it is generating negative numbers and also 15 digit numbers.
Please help me fix this or a script which works.

Thanks in Advance !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate a random password

Hello All... Can someone help me generate a random password which will be 7 characters long which contains alpha-numeric characters using shell script. I am looking to store the output of the script that generates the password to a variable within a script and use it as the password. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
5 Replies

2. Programming

generating 16 digit random number in C

Hi, How can we generate 16 digit random nos in C. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl output with negative and positive numbers

Hello, For my weather station I have made a little perl script to put the data into cacti. The next problem I have. I can only get positive numbers or negative numbers. What do I do: Though a shell scrip I call the perl script. Shell script: #!/bin/sh cat data.txt | stats.pl Perl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbl-blacklight
4 Replies

4. Programming

Generate random number

I saw this formula to generate random number between two specified values in shell script.the following. $(((RANDOM%(max-min+divisibleBy))/divisibleBy*divisibleBy+min)) Give a example in book. Generate random number between 6 and 30.like this. $(((RANDOM%30/3+1)*3)) But I have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luoluo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

addition of both positive and negative numbers

Let, I have three numbers +00123.25 -00256.54 +00489.23 I need to sum up all those three numbers, after storing them in three variables (say var1, var2, var3). I used both expr and BC, but they didn't work for me. But, I am not able to sum up them, as I don't have any idea how to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mady135
13 Replies

6. Programming

generate array of random numbers

hi guys, I am writing a c program that generates a two dimensional array to make matrix and a vector of random numbers and perform multiplication. I can't figure out whats wrong with my code. It generates a matrix of random numbers but all the numbers in the vector array is same and so is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saboture88
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on positive and negative numbers

Dear All, I have to split a tab delimited file in two files based on the presence of a positive or negative in column number 9 , for example file: A 1 5 erg + 6766 0.9889 0.9817 9.01882 erg inside upstream B 1 8 erg2 + 6766 0.9889 0.9817 -9.22 erg2 inside... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate random numbers in script

i want to generate a random number through a script, and even if anyone reads the script, they wont be able to figure out what the random number is. only the person who setup the script would know it. something like this could work: random the full thread is here: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on negative and positive numbers

I have a file that is pipe delimited and in Column F they have number values, both positive and negative. I need to take the one file I am starting with and split it into two separate files based on negative and positive numbers. What is the command to do so? And then I need to also transfer... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cckaiser15
4 Replies
RANDOM(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						 RANDOM(9)

NAME
arc4rand, arc4random, random, read_random, srandom -- supply pseudo-random numbers SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/libkern.h> void srandom(u_long seed); u_long random(void); void arc4rand(void *ptr, u_int length, int reseed); uint32_t arc4random(void); #include <sys/random.h> int read_random(void *buffer, int count); DESCRIPTION
The random() function will by default produce a sequence of numbers that can be duplicated by calling srandom() with '1' as the seed. The srandom() function may be called with any arbitrary seed value to get slightly more unpredictable numbers. It is important to remember that the random() function is entirely predictable, and is therefore not of use where knowledge of the sequence of numbers may be of benefit to an attacker. The arc4rand() function will return very good quality random numbers, slightly better suited for security-related purposes. The random num- bers from arc4rand() are seeded from the entropy device if it is available. Automatic reseeds happen after a certain timeinterval and after a certain number of bytes have been delivered. A forced reseed can be forced by passing a non-zero value in the reseed argument. The read_random() function is used to return entropy directly from the entropy device if it has been loaded. If the entropy device is not loaded, then the buffer is filled with output generated by random(). The buffer is filled with no more than count bytes. It is advised that read_random() is not used; instead use arc4rand() All the bits generated by random(), arc4rand() and read_random() are usable. For example, 'random()&01' will produce a random binary value. The arc4random() is a convenience function which calls arc4rand() to return a 32 bit pseudo-random integer. RETURN VALUES
The random() function uses a non-linear additive feedback random number generator employing a default table of size 31 long integers to return successive pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to (2**31)-1. The period of this random number generator is very large, approxi- mately 16*((2**31)-1). The arc4rand() function uses the RC4 algorithm to generate successive pseudo-random bytes. The arc4random() function uses arc4rand() to gen- erate pseudo-random numbers in the range from 0 to (2**32)-1. The read_random() function returns the number of bytes placed in buffer. AUTHORS
Dan Moschuk wrote arc4random(). Mark R V Murray wrote read_random(). BSD
September 25, 2000 BSD