Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Read input from another tty
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read input from another tty Post 302686457 by colinireland on Tuesday 14th of August 2012 02:58:41 PM
Old 08-14-2012
Read input from another tty

Hello,

I am trying to find out how I can find the tty number of a terminal a bash script has just created.

Ultimately what I am trying to achieve is a script that starts a new terminal where stderr can be directed to.

Code:
ls -l missing_file 2> /dev/pts/X

To find the tty number of the new terminal I have

Code:
#!/bin/bash
tty_current=`tty`
echo $tty_current
xterm -e "tty > $tty_current" &

This will output the tty number of both the "parent and child" terminals.

My problem is how can I read in the output from the new terminal?

Are there any other methods people know of to achieve the same thing?

Regards,
Colin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to input escape sequences in Linux tty?

More details: Unicode, Framebuffer. I tried to press Esc and then what should follow, letters or brackets, but seems not to work. Probably i do something wrong. If somebody is familiar with escape sequences in the console, how do you do that? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read from terminal/keyboard > /dev/tty

Hi, I need to provide more than one character to "> /dev/tty" through terminal/keyboard input, I have this: ok=false while do echo " Enter r1 to reformat " > /dev/tty read choice case $choice in ) echo " bla bla bla " ;; done However, in this way,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input

I have a script. #! /bin/bash echo "Enter a word: " read word echo $word That outputs like this.. Enter a word: hello hello But how can i read on the same line the question is printed? Like this.. Enter a word: hello hello (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Input and go BG

My script needs to get some input from the user and go as a background process and run. I have something like read input. do while ... if .. fi done can i use nohup inside the script?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antergen
7 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Kernel panics : trying to write / read on tiny tty driver

I'm a beginner to the Linux programming and trying my hands on some device driver examples while practising. The below code (a trimmed down version of tiny_tty.c from ldd3 book) loads perfectly using insmod and I'm able to see it in /proc/tty/drivers , /proc/modules and device nodes are getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diwsdiwa
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input files and merge them in given order and write them to input one param or one file

Dear Friends, I am looking for a shell script to merge input files into one file .. here is my idea: 1st paramter would be outfile file (all input files content) read all input files and merge them to input param 1 ex: if I pass 6 file names to the script then 1st file name as output file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyd1234
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using read for input over ssh

Hi, I'm using read in a script to prompt and receive input. read -r -p "Do you also want to deploy folder? " response This works fine, however, if I remotely execute the same script via ssh, at this point in the code, I don't see the message at all, but it waits for input. I could echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: say170
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input from Keyboard, do not proceed if no input

Hi, I am working on a script, which requests users to enter input. Ex: read -p "Please enter your email id:" email I don't want users skipping this entry, this has to be mandatory.I dont want to proceed without input. I can do a check if variable $email is empty and proceed if not.But, i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python: Redirecting to tty and reading from tty

In bash, you can do something like this: #!/bin/bash echo -n "What is your name? " > /dev/tty read thename < /dev/tty How can I do the same in python? I have a python script that has the following content: #!/usr/bin/python2.7 import getpass import sys import telnetlib import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies
WHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WHICH(1)

NAME
which - shows the full path of (shell) commands. SYNOPSIS
which [options] [--] programname [...] DESCRIPTION
Which takes one or more arguments. For each of its arguments it prints to stdout the full path of the executables that would have been exe- cuted when this argument had been entered at the shell prompt. It does this by searching for an executable or script in the directories listed in the environment variable PATH using the same algorithm as bash(1). This man page is generated from the file which.texinfo. OPTIONS
--all, -a Print all matching executables in PATH, not just the first. --read-alias, -i Read aliases from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using an alias for which itself. For example alias which='alias | which -i'. --skip-alias Ignore option `--read-alias', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-alias' option in an alias or function for which. --read-functions Read shell function definitions from stdin, reporting matching ones on stdout. This is useful in combination with using a shell func- tion for which itself. For example: which() { declare -f | which --read-functions $@ } export -f which --skip-functions Ignore option `--read-functions', if any. This is useful to explicity search for normal binaries, while using the `--read-functions' option in an alias or function for which. --skip-dot Skip directories in PATH that start with a dot. --skip-tilde Skip directories in PATH that start with a tilde and executables which reside in the HOME directory. --show-dot If a directory in PATH starts with a dot and a matching executable was found for that path, then print "./programname" rather than the full path. --show-tilde Output a tilde when a directory matches the HOME directory. This option is ignored when which is invoked as root. --tty-only Stop processing options on the right if not on tty. --version,-v,-V Print version information on standard output then exit successfully. --help Print usage information on standard output then exit successfully. RETURN VALUE
Which returns the number of failed arguments, or -1 when no `programname' was given. EXAMPLE
The recommended way to use this utility is by adding an alias (C shell) or shell function (Bourne shell) for which like the following: [ba]sh: which () { (alias; declare -f) | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --read-functions --show-tilde --show-dot $@ } export -f which [t]csh: alias which 'alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' This will print the readable ~/ and ./ when starting which from your prompt, while still printing the full path when used from a script: > which q2 ~/bin/q2 > echo `which q2` /home/carlo/bin/q2 BUGS
The HOME directory is determined by looking for the HOME environment variable, which aborts when this variable doesn't exist. Which will consider two equivalent directories to be different when one of them contains a path with a symbolic link. AUTHOR
Carlo Wood <carlo@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
bash(1) WHICH(1)