Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to do decimal arithmetic in shell script Post 302686293 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 14th of August 2012 08:45:16 AM
Old 08-14-2012
Code:
$sum=0; for i in `cat b22`
do
sum=`echo "$sum + $i" | bc`
done; echo $sum;

would have worked if you had changed $sum=0 on the first line to sum=0
I assume that the variable sum was not set when you started so the first command turned into =0 when $sum expanded to an empty string.

However, it is pretty inefficient to invoke bc for each value you want to add. A much simpler way would be to use:
Code:
awk ' {	for (i=1; i<= NF; i++) sum+=$i }
END {print sum}' b22

which only invokes awk once instead of invoking bc 265 times. (Note that you have 265 values in b22; not 256.)
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Fedora

Simple arithmetic in shell

Hey, I just wanted to know how one can write simple arithmetic like addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in shell-script. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: #moveon
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic calculation on real numbers in Bourne Shell Script

I am begining to learn bourne shell and as a practice I have written a script which when given the purchase price and percentage of discount calculates the savings. I somehow cannot figure out why my script fails to do arthimatic calculation on real numbers. Could anyone look at the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
5 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Broken link FAQ date arithmetic with shell

page unix com/answers-frequently-asked-questions/13785-yesterdays-date-date-arithmetic.html Date Arithmetic with the Shell has link of www samag com/documents/s=8284/sam0307b/0307b.htm which is no longer. Is this the correct place to post this?:confused: and I got message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgerman
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic Problem with shell script programming.

Hello everybody, I decided to take a Unix Introduction class and have never had experience with programming. Everything was fine until recently when the Prof. started shell scripting and he wants us to make a small script to add unlimited numbers from arguments and from standard input. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Florinel76
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Arithmetic Problem with shell script programming.

Hello everybody, I decided to take a Unix Introduction class and have never had experience with programming. Everything was fine until recently when the Prof. started shell scripting and he wants us to make a small script to add unlimited numbers from arguments and from standard input. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Florinel76
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell arithmetic least significant place

I need help on arithmetic root@server # hour=`date | awk {'print $4'} | cut -d: -f 1`; echo $hour 04 Now I subtract this result by 1 or 01 I get "3" as the answer. I need "03" as the answer, ie last two significant numbers should be there. root@server # hour=`date | awk {'print $4'} | cut... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Arithmetic calculations in Shell script

Hi, I need a help with arithmetic calculations in my script. I have two variables: a=17; b=1712 I want to perform ($a/$b)*100 with two decimals in the result. I tried with following: res=$((100*a/b)) res=`echo "scale=2; $a / $b" | bc` But I am not getting the decimal values.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic but keep 2 decimal places

I am trying to perform arithmetric, for example, to increment the value of variable $a (say 3) by 0.05 but when I tried the following expression let a=a+0.05 or a=$((a+0.05)) both returned 3.0499999999999998 I want to keep 2 decimal places so it returns 3.05 instead. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell arithmetic : operations on decimal points

i am having a varialbe a , which is input to my file i want to multiply this input with value .43, and assign it to variable b. i tried it as below: #!/bin/sh a=$1 b=`expr $1\*0.43` echo b=$b error : expr: non-integer argument Please tell me , how to do this. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishifrnds
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Arithmetic syntax error while comparing decimal numbers

Hello, I am having a problem when i execute following script on RHEL 6.4. Same script works fine on another machine where I have same version of RHEL and KSH. Below is the rpm and RHEL version. ossvm12(0)> rpm -qa | grep ksh ksh-20100621-19.el6.x86_64 ossvm12(0)> cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adithya Gokhale
7 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD