Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk: Print fields between two delimiters on separate lines and send to variables Post 302684991 by Corona688 on Friday 10th of August 2012 12:33:19 PM
Old 08-10-2012
If it doesn't work, please tell me in what way it did not work. Show me exactly what you did, word for word, letter for letter, keystroke for keystroke. I can't see your computer from here.

If nawk doesn't work, try awk.

You can feed it into awk on stdin, like zcat filename | awk -f env.awk

Why do you need each one to be its own variable? How would you even know which variable names to use, if they're always different? Wouldn't you rather put them in one string instead, so you could put it in a loop?

Code:
EMAILS=`zcat email.gz | awk -f env.awk`

for EMAIL in EMAILS
do
        echo "got email $EMAIL"
done

Or if you have thousands, put it in a while-read loop?

Code:
zcat email.gz | awk -f env.awk | while read EMAIL
do
        echo "Got email $EMAIL"
done

...or save to a temp file so you can use it more than once?

Code:
zcat email.gz | awk -f env.awk > /tmp/$$

while read EMAIL
do
        echo "got email $EMAIL"
done < /tmp/$$

while read EMAIL
do
        echo "got email $EMAIL"
done < /tmp/$$

rm -f /tmp/$$

Or if you really do want variable names:

Code:
N=1
zcat email.gz | awk -f env.awk | while read EMAIL
do
        # Set variables like email_0001, email_0002, ...
        echo "`printf "email_%04d" $N`=$EMAIL"
        N=`expr $N + 1`
done > /tmp/$$
. /tmp/$$
rm -f /tmp/$$

...but I really can't picture how this'd be more useful than the options above.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to print selected fields of selected lines by AWK

I am trying to print 1st, 2nd, 13th and 14th fields of a file of line numbers from 29 to 10029. I dont know how to put this in one code. Currently I am removing the selected lines by awk 'NR==29,NR==10029' File1 > File2 and then doing awk '{print $1, $2, $13, $14}' File2 > File3 Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananyob
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract nth line of all files and print in output file on separate lines.

Hello UNIX experts, I have 124 text files in a directory. I want to extract the 45678th line of all the files sequentialy by file names. The extracted lines should be printed in the output file on seperate lines. e.g. The input Files are one.txt, two.txt, three.txt, four.txt The cat of four... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yogeshkumkar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Tab Separated Field with AWK to all and print lines of unique fields.

Hi. I have a tab separated file that has a couple nearly identical lines. When doing: sort file | uniq > file.new It passes through the nearly identical lines because, well, they still are unique. a) I want to look only at field x for uniqueness and if the content in field x is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print header as text from separate file with getline

I would like to print the output beginning with a header from a seperate file like this: awk 'BEGIN{FS="_";print ((getline < "header.txt")>0)} { if (! ($0 ~ /EL/ ) print }" input.txtWhat am i doing wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print only lines where fields concatenated match strings

Hello everyone, Maybe somebody could help me with an awk script. I have this input (field separator is comma ","): 547894982,M|N|J,U|Q|P,98,101,0,1,1 234900027,M|N|J,U|Q|P,98,101,0,1,1 234900023,M|N|J,U|Q|P,98,54,3,1,1 234900028,M|H|J,S|Q|P,98,101,0,1,1 234900030,M|N|J,U|F|P,98,101,0,1,1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print 1st field and last 2 fields together and the rest of the fields after it using awk?

Hi experts, I need to print the first field first then last two fields should come next and then i need to print rest of the fields. Input : a1,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk,b1,b2 a2,acb,dfg,ghj,b3,c4 a3,djf,wdjg,fkg,dff,ggk,d4,d5 Expected output: a1,b1,b2,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sort based on difference of fields and print all fields

Hi I have a file as below <field1> <field2> <field3> ... <field_num1> <field_num2> Trying to sort based on difference of <field_num1> and <field_num2> in desceding order and print all fields. I tried this and it doesn't sort on the difference field .. Appreciate your help. cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newstart
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to count lines of CSV file where 2 fields match variables?

I'm trying to use awk to count the occurrences of two matching fields of a CSV file. For instance, for data that looks like this... Joe,Blue,Yes,No,High Mike,Blue,Yes,Yes,Low Joe,Red,No,No,Low Joe,Red,Yes,Yes,Low I've been trying to use code like this... countvar=`awk ' $2~/$color/... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmoore2843
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print line is values between two fields in separate file

I am trying to use awk to find all the $3 values in file2 that are between $2 and $3 in file1. If a value in $3 of file2 is between the file1 fields then it is printed along with the $6 value in file1. Both file1 and file2 are tab-delimited as well as the desired output. If there is nothing to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print lines based on text in field and value in two additional fields

In the awk below I am trying to print the entire line, along with the header row, if $2 is SNV or MNV or INDEL. If that condition is met or is true, and $3 is less than or equal to 0.05, then in $7 the sub pattern :GMAF= is found and the value after the = sign is checked. If that value is less than... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
DEFAULTDOMAIN(5)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						  DEFAULTDOMAIN(5)

NAME
defaultdomain - file which contains the NIS/YP domain name DESCRIPTION
/etc/defaultdomain is used by the boot scripts to set the NIS/YP domain name for a system as returned by the getdomainname(2) function. The file contains one line with the name of the domain. Unlike DNS hostnames and domain names, the NIS domain name is case-sensitive! The NIS domain name must not be the same as the DNS domain name, but for some services like NIS+ it should be the same. Even if the domain name is often called NIS/YP domain name, it is also used from other protocols, not only NIS/YP. FILES
/etc/defaultdomain /etc/init.d/boot.localnet SEE ALSO
domainname(1), init.d(7), init(8), nisdomainname(1), ypdomainname(1), ypbind(8), ypserv(8), ypwhich(1) COPYRIGHT
2002 SuSE Linux AG Nuernberg, Germany. SuSE Linux 2002-01-16 DEFAULTDOMAIN(5)