Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extracting non-zero pairs of numbers from each row Post 302684645 by Don Cragun on Thursday 9th of August 2012 09:39:58 PM
Old 08-09-2012
I assume that you're really looking for a non-zero value in an odd column immediately followed by a non-zero value in an even column. If that is correct, I think something like:
Code:
awk 'NR == 1	{for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) hdr[i]=$i}
NR > 1	{
	found=0
	for (i=1; i<NF; i+=2)
		if ($i != 0 && $(i+1) != 0)
			if (found) next
			else	found=i
	if (found)
		printf "%s\t%s\t%s\t%s\n",
			hdr[found],hdr[found+1],$found,$(found+1)
}' file

will do what you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting a row from a file

hi... i want to extract single row from a file at a time and i don't want to specify which row to be extracted in the command. i mean i want to use a loop, so that i will fetch all the rows one after the another. i used sed -n '$count p' filename but this is not working. please give me the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Usha Shastri
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting numbers from a string

Hello Everyone, i have quick question. I have file names like: bin_map300.asc and I would like to extract grid300. My approach so far: name=bin_map300.asc echo ${name%%.*} echo ${name##*_} I am stuck combining the two. Any help would be appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: creamcheese
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the numbers in a row

File A aa <space> --D--A--D---DDY---M--UM-M--MY Another file D3 M9 So output shud be Here in FileA D which is 3 after removing dash after we have counted dash D is position at 9 and for M is 23 final output will be D9 M23 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding row of numbers

is there another way of doing the below: echo "7 3 8 2 2 1 3 83.4 8.2 4 8 73 90.5" | bc shell is bash. os is linux and sunos. bc seems to have an issue with long range of numbers (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print last row of numbers

I have a spreadsheet of extremely long rows of numbers. I want to print only the last column. Tried using printf but there seems to be too many rows. example: 3 100 34 7 23 0 8 ..... X 400 203 778 1 ..........Y 58 3 9 0 100 ..........Z I only want to print X, Y and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmyf
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting numbers

Hi I am part of a academic organization and I want to send a fax to the students however there must be a quicker way to get the fax numbers extracted from the online forms they sent me. The file looks like this (numbers are fake in order to protect identity): Biochemistry Major Michael... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting key/value pairs in awk

I am extracting a number of key/value pairs in awk using following: awk ' /xyz_session_id/ { n=index($0,"xyz_session_id"); id=substr($0,n+15,25); a=$4; } END{ for (ix in a) { print a } }' I don't like this Index + substr with manually calculated... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiply a row of numbers

the following is used to add numbers: echo 7 47 47 44 4 3 3 3 3 3 | awk '{ for(i=1; i<=NF;i++) j+=$i; print j; j=0 }' how do i multiply OR subtract a row of numbers using the above tactic? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data between two tag pairs

In a huge log file (43MB, 43k lines) I am trying to extract data between two tag pairs on same line and export it to a file so I can pull it into Excel for a report. One Pair is <Text>data I need</Text> Other pair follows on same line and is <TimeStamp>more data I need</TimeStamp> I would need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanookArctic
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum of numbers in row

Need help in coding: File with several rows incl. numbers like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... How can i build the sum of each row seperately? 10 26 ... Thx for help. Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: smitty11
13 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD