Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Pass filename to AWK in bash script Post 302684453 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 9th of August 2012 03:08:48 PM
Old 08-09-2012
Try using FILENAME with a little restructuring:
Code:
excludefile=somefile.dat
infile=anotherfile.dat

awk v- in="$infile" -v exf="$excludefile" '
       FILENAME==exf 
         {n=0;while (getline < "$excludefile" > 0){ex[n]=$0;n++}}  
       FILENAME==in  
       {for(var in ex)
       {print  var "-" ex[var] $0 ;i++}}' $excludefile $infile

If you are totaly into one-liners you can one-line this if you want.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script pass sentence in block

Hello, I want to know is it possible to pass a block of sentence using bash. For example, I have a script called Test.sh that takes in $1 and $2. and I'm calling Test.sh in a.sh so in a.sh Test.sh '' 'This is a sentence' Because block are separated by space so when I do that, I get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: katrvu
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass value from plsql script to unix bash?

Hi This is my bash script.i am calling validation.sql and passing a value to it using ${flds}. i want the cnt variable in plsql script to be passed to unix. LOADREC=`sqlplus -s $ORACLE_USR <<-EOF spool $ORACLE_LOG_FILE; echo "barani" @validation.sql #calling the plsql script ${flds}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: barani75
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help parsing filename with bash script

Hi all! Looking for some help parsing filenames in bash. I have a directory full of files named "livingroom-110111105637.avi". The format is always date and time (yymmddhhmmss). I'm looking to parse the filenames so they are a little more easily readable. Maybe rename them to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtehonica
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass filename as arguement to awk command?

Hi, I am facing one issue. The awk command works fine if i hardcode the file name but if is pass it as an arguement it doesn't work. For e.g:Below commands works fine awk -v A="$type" '{F=substr($0,23,8) "_LTD_" A ".txt"; print $0 >> F; close(F) }' RL004.txt But the below command does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass arguments to bash script

myscript.sh #!/bin/bash ARGA=$1 if ; then echo "${ARGA}:Confirmed" else echo "${ARGA}:Unconfirmed" fi when I run the above script from the command line, i run it as: ./myscript.sh jsmith now some times, i need to runn it this way: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass enter key or selected character in bash script?

hi, i've bash script thats working... but now i need to add a line....that prompts for user input....like yes and 1 as complete install.... so here's how it looks... $ cd 9200 (cd into directory) $./install (hv to type ./install to run install then ask for) ----do you want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kernel11
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing filename with sed in bash script

I need to cat two files with similar names. I am using the following script: #!/bin/bash if ] then file=$1 file2="${file%R1.fastq}R2.fastq" echo fetching data from R2 file ... sleep 3 cat $file $file2 > infile else echo "Input_file passed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl , download file with user:pass in bash script

Hello, My question is about curl command. (ubuntu14.04) In terminal, I am able to download my mainfile with: curl -u user1:pass1 http://11.22.33.44/******* When I convert it into bash script like this: #!/bin/bash cd /root/scripts computer_ip=11.22.33.44 curl -u $1:$2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pass RegEx to java program in bash script

I can't seem to get this right. I've tried it every way imaginable using every trick I see on stackexchange and such. No luck. So nothing major here, something like: #!/bin/bash SEARCH="ARG1 ARG2 '((^EXACT$)|(.*InTheMiddle*)|(^AtBeginning*))'" java -cp /my/class/path MyClassName $SEARCH... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonkers
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pass config file to bash script

I just want to make sure I am understanding how to pass a config file to a bash script . In the below I pass to arguments to a script, then define them in the script as id and config. I then source config using ., if I understand correctly the variables in the config file can now be used by the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
11 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)