Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting adding a number with sed or awk. Post 302683847 by pelama on Wednesday 8th of August 2012 05:18:11 PM
Old 08-08-2012
Thanks a million..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Truncating a number using sed/awk

Hi all, I'm trying to truncate a number like the following: 0001060407013900501048239559900600504083525826350002050354795057 I would like to create an output which puts carriage returns every so many characters, giving an output such as: 0001 060407 0139 0 05 010482395599 0060... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaeltravisuk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a new field using sed or awk?

I have a bcp file that contains 10 fields. These fields are separated by a tab. How can I add my name as a new field in the 8th position for every record? I've been playing w/ sed and awk but can't seem to figure this out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasabune
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed - getting string instead of number

Hi! I am writing a script handling downloading list of files and I have to check whether file is present locally and if not finished than continue downloading. To do so I have to compare sizes of remote file and local file. To check remote file size I have to parse something like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hrwath
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk-adding numeric to a column

I have a txt file as follows Code: Oct 1 file1 4144 Oct 1 file23 5170 Oct 2 file5 3434 Oct 21 file56 2343 I need to add a new column by marking the right log file from current directory. For example populate like this. Please not in the second columt for "1" it has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
2 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Adding carriage returns to file using sed/awk

Hello, I need help adding carriage returns at specific intervals (say 692 characters) to a text file that's one continous string. I'm working in AIX5.3. Any quick help is appreciated. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a column with the row number using awk

Is there anyway to use awk to add a first column to my data that automatically goes from 1 to n , where n is the numbers of my rows?:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
4 Replies

7. Linux

Adding a prefix to a column using awk/sed commands

Hello, I am a newbie to linux and struggling to find a better way to append a column in a text file. Here is the file i want to modify: It has 8 columns (and thousands of rows). I want to append the first column by adding "chr" infront of the numbers. Some rows have a string in the first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjorngill
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Sed/awk/getting line number from file

I Have file1 with below lines : #HostNameSelection=0 :NotUsed #HostNameSelection=1 :Automatic #HostNameSelection=3 :NotForced I have file2 which has similar lines but with different values I want to copy the changes from file1 to file2 ,line by line only if line begins with '#'. for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvr
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding number based on pattern using awk

Hi, I want to add numbers based on pattern . in the below ouput file , i want number to be added after pattern line ---- , ie 1 and next is also 1 and next is 2 and next is 3 after adding 4 numbers say output is 7 should be redirected to another file . like this it should add 4 digits after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.nsn
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding text from a variable using sed (Or awk) with punctuation

Hi All, I would have though this would have been simple, but... I have text in a variable that I need to insert into a bunch of other files... The text is simple: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeg1484
2 Replies
USLEEP(P)						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							 USLEEP(P)

NAME
usleep - suspend execution for an interval SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int usleep(useconds_t useconds); DESCRIPTION
The usleep() function shall cause the calling thread to be suspended from execution until either the number of realtime microseconds speci- fied by the argument useconds has elapsed or a signal is delivered to the calling thread and its action is to invoke a signal-catching function or to terminate the process. The suspension time may be longer than requested due to the scheduling of other activity by the sys- tem. The useconds argument shall be less than one million. If the value of useconds is 0, then the call has no effect. If a SIGALRM signal is generated for the calling process during execution of usleep() and if the SIGALRM signal is being ignored or blocked from delivery, it is unspecified whether usleep() returns when the SIGALRM signal is scheduled. If the signal is being blocked, it is also unspecified whether it remains pending after usleep() returns or it is discarded. If a SIGALRM signal is generated for the calling process during execution of usleep(), except as a result of a prior call to alarm(), and if the SIGALRM signal is not being ignored or blocked from delivery, it is unspecified whether that signal has any effect other than caus- ing usleep() to return. If a signal-catching function interrupts usleep() and examines or changes either the time a SIGALRM is scheduled to be generated, the action associated with the SIGALRM signal, or whether the SIGALRM signal is blocked from delivery, the results are unspecified. If a signal-catching function interrupts usleep() and calls siglongjmp() or longjmp() to restore an environment saved prior to the usleep() call, the action associated with the SIGALRM signal and the time at which a SIGALRM signal is scheduled to be generated are unspecified. It is also unspecified whether the SIGALRM signal is blocked, unless the process' signal mask is restored as part of the environment. Implementations may place limitations on the granularity of timer values. For each interval timer, if the requested timer value requires a finer granularity than the implementation supports, the actual timer value shall be rounded up to the next supported value. Interactions between usleep() and any of the following are unspecified: nanosleep() setitimer() timer_create() timer_delete() timer_getoverrun() timer_gettime() timer_settime() ualarm() sleep() RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, usleep() shall return 0; otherwise, it shall return -1 and set errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The usleep() function may fail if: EINVAL The time interval specified one million or more microseconds. The following sections are informative. EXAMPLES
None. APPLICATION USAGE
Applications are recommended to use nanosleep() if the Timers option is supported, or setitimer(), timer_create(), timer_delete(), timer_getoverrun(), timer_gettime(), or timer_settime() instead of this function. RATIONALE
None. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
alarm() , getitimer() , nanosleep() , sigaction() , sleep() , timer_create() , timer_delete() , timer_getoverrun() , the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, <unistd.h> COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 USLEEP(P)