Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to search a pattern in a directory and output number of find counts Post 302683785 by RudiC on Wednesday 8th of August 2012 02:04:05 PM
Old 08-08-2012
Addition
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
Hello, RudiC:

Don't take any of what follows personally. It is intended solely as a helpful critique.
Regards,
Alister
Absolutely not! You may have inferred from the various edits that I have taken a multi step approximation to the problem and its solution. I wasn't happy with the first ones either, running scripts or multiple shells when descending directory trees. I'll carefully analyse your proposal, as I'm "always learning" (agama's motto) and I really appreciate every single of your posts.

On the other hand, it is quite intimidating to know that my posts are being scrutinized that carefully!

Last edited by RudiC; 08-08-2012 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Addition

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to search through numbers and print the output

Suppose u have a file like 1 30 ABCSAAHSNJQJALBALMKAANKAMLAMALK 4562676268836826826868268468368282972982 2863923792102370179372012792701739729291 31 60... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to search content of file with timestamps in the directory

hello, i want to make a script to search the file contents in my home directory by a given date and output me the line that has the date... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychobeauty
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to find files in a shell script with any matching pattern

Hi friends.. I have many dirs in my working directory. Every dir have thousands of files (.jsp, .java, .xml..., etc). So I am working with an script to find every file recursively within those directories and subdirectories ending with .jsp or .java which contains inside of it, the the pattern... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnux
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find Search - Find files not matching a pattern

Hello all, this is my first and probably not my last question around here. I do hope you can help or at least point me in the right direction. My question is as follows, I need to find files and possible folders which are not owner = AAA group = BBB with a said location and all sub folders ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilobyter
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find if any new entry in directory

I require a shell script to find if any new entry of dump files present in a particular directory and to send an email if any new entry exists.I had a crontab to run the script for every 5 min. Below are the file names.dump.20150327.152407.12058630.0002.phd.gz... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Shell Script Help for pattern search

Hi Need help for below coding scenario. I have a file with say 4 lines as below. DEFINE JOB TPT_LOAD_INTO_EMP_DET ( TDPID = @TPT_TDSERVER , USERNAME = @TPT_TDUSER ) ; ( 'DROP TABLE '||@TPT_WRKDB ||'.LOG_'||@TPT_TGT ||' ; ') , SELECT * FROM OPERATOR (FILE_READER) ; ) ; Now I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santanu2015
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output counts of all matching strings lessthan a number using awk

The awk below is supposed to count all the matching $5 strings and count how many $7 values is less than 20. I don't think I need the portion in bold as I do not need any decimal point or format, but can not seem to get the correct counts. Thank you :). file chr5 77316500 77316628 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to zip csv files having specific pattern in a directory using UNIX shell script?

I have files in a Linux directory . Some of the file is listed below -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:17 zzz_123_00000_A_1.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_121_00000_A_2.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_124_00000_A_3.csv drwxrwxr-x. 2 roots roots 6 Dec 23... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balraj
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A shell script to run a script which don't get terminated and send a pattern from the output by mail

Hi Guys, I am very new to shell script and I need your help here to write a script. Actually, I have a script abc.sh which don't get terminated itself. So I need to design a script to run this script, save the output to a file, search for a given string in the output and if it exists send those... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sambit Sahu
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find string based on pattern and search for its corresponding rows in column

Experts, Need your support for this awk script. we have only one input file, all these column 1 and column 2 are in same file and have to do lookup for values in one file(column1 and column2) but output we need in another file Need to grep row whose string contains 9K from column 1. When found... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
6 Replies
PSIGNAL(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						PSIGNAL(9)

NAME
psignal, pgsignal, gsignal, tdsignal -- post signal to a thread, process, or process group SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/signalvar.h> void psignal(struct proc *p, int signum); void pgsignal(struct pgrp *pgrp, int signum, int checkctty); void gsignal(int pgid, int signum); void tdsignal(struct thread *td, int signum); DESCRIPTION
These functions post a signal to a thread or one or more processes. The argument signum common to all three functions should be in the range [1-NSIG]. The psignal() function posts signal number signum to the process represented by the process structure p. With a few exceptions noted below, the target process signal disposition is updated and is marked as runnable, so further handling of the signal is done in the context of the target process after a context switch. Note that psignal() does not by itself cause a context switch to happen. The target process is not marked as runnable in the following cases: o The target process is sleeping uninterruptibly. The signal will be noticed when the process returns from the system call or trap. o The target process is currently ignoring the signal. o If a stop signal is sent to a sleeping process that takes the default action (see sigaction(2)), the process is stopped without awakening it. o SIGCONT restarts a stopped process (or puts them back to sleep) regardless of the signal action (e.g., blocked or ignored). If the target process is being traced psignal() behaves as if the target process were taking the default action for signum. This allows the tracing process to be notified of the signal. The pgsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group described by pgrp. If checkctty is non-zero, the sig- nal will be posted only to processes that have a controlling terminal. pgsignal() is implemented by walking along the process list headed by the field pg_members of the process group structure pointed at by pgrp and calling psignal() as appropriate. If pgrp is NULL no action is taken. The gsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group identified by the group id pgid. gsignal() first finds the group structure associated with pgid, then invokes pgsignal() with the argument checkctty set to zero. If pgid is zero no action is taken. The tdsignal() function posts signal number signum to the thread represented by the thread structure td. SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), signal(9), tsleep(9) BSD
October 8, 2011 BSD