Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with user management
Operating Systems AIX Help with user management Post 302682861 by aixaixaixaix on Tuesday 7th of August 2012 03:20:53 AM
Old 08-07-2012
Help with user management

Hi

When i search for a user it shows that the user doesn't exist

Code:

# lsuser x090817
3004-687 User "x090817" does not exist.

But under /var/spool/mail/ the file named x090817 still exists.

Code:

4700    1 -rw-rw----  1 2090817  mail           603 Apr 12  2010 /var/spool/mail/x090817

Will the file exist even after the user has been deleted ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

HP-UX user management

Hello All, Does anyone know of any good utilities for user management/password management for HP-UX? I have 32 switchs (telephone) running HP-UX 10x and managing the users on them is becoming quite time consuming... Thanks Brian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: breigner
1 Replies

2. AIX

User Management

Can someone suggest me any means of having a controlled way to user access ... basically we have a varied environment of people(users) logging in to AIX boxes ... either via 1) telnet ... 2) application 3) databse (SQL's) what we need to do is formalise this .. can someone help me with this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_149
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Root User Management

I am currently executing a Unix audit & would like some guidance on best practice for the management of root user access. The organisation is small, with an IT team of approx 25. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: conaloregan
6 Replies

4. Solaris

User accounts management in solaris

I want to know about how to start and kill the process of other unix user. Do I need to change the owner or modify user account itself. ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikasdeshmukh
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

centralized unix user management

Does it exist centralized tools on unix for managing users of all servers (like windows AD) ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: astjen
1 Replies

6. Solaris

User account management Sol10

Hi, Is all of the user account password security settings kept in the /etc/default/passwd file or is there some new control in Solaris 10 that defines these? I need to know the security settings for passwords in Solaris 10. Also is there any way to find out when accounts were created? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
3 Replies

7. Linux

User Management in linux

Hi All, I have to learn all the user management commend like adduser,useradd,chggrp... etc I would like to know the syntax or example. Please give me document or link. Thanks, Mani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
1 Replies

8. AIX

User/group management in AIX

We have an environment of around 50 AIX LPARs. We use scripts for user and group account management but it is starting to get unwieldy to document and manage the accounts. It would be doable with scripts but before we dedicate resources to that, I was wondering if there is any product that you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilford
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

AIX Administrator - User Profile Management

Good afternoon all, Was un-sure on where to post this so I thought I would use this topic... I was wondering what best practice people use for the deletion of user profiles on AIX systems? At the moment, I currently don't delete any user profiles, they are just disabled as they... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SteveCPayne
1 Replies
PAM_MAIL(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						       PAM_MAIL(8)

NAME
pam_mail - Inform about available mail SYNOPSIS
pam_mail.so [close] [debug] [dir=maildir] [empty] [hash=count] [noenv] [nopen] [quiet] [standard] DESCRIPTION
The pam_mail PAM module provides the "you have new mail" service to the user. It can be plugged into any application that has credential or session hooks. It gives a single message indicating the newness of any mail it finds in the user's mail folder. This module also sets the PAM environment variable, MAIL, to the user's mail directory. If the mail spool file (be it /var/mail/$USER or a pathname given with the dir= parameter) is a directory then pam_mail assumes it is in the Maildir format. OPTIONS
close Indicate if the user has any mail also on logout. debug Print debug information. dir=maildir Look for the users' mail in an alternative location defined by maildir/<login>. The default location for mail is /var/mail/<login>. Note, if the supplied maildir is prefixed by a '~', the directory is interpreted as indicating a file in the user's home directory. empty Also print message if user has no mail. hash=count Mail directory hash depth. For example, a hashcount of 2 would make the mail file be /var/spool/mail/u/s/user. noenv Do not set the MAIL environment variable. nopen Don't print any mail information on login. This flag is useful to get the MAIL environment variable set, but to not display any information about it. quiet Only report when there is new mail. standard Old style "You have..." format which doesn't show the mail spool being used. This also implies "empty". MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The session and auth (on establishment and deletion of credentials) module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_SERVICE_ERR Badly formed arguments. PAM_SUCCESS Success. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/login to indicate that the user has new mail when they login to the system. session optional pam_mail.so standard SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_mail was written by Andrew G. Morgan <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_MAIL(8)