Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed - combination of line deletion and pattern matching Post 302682009 by bakunin on Sunday 5th of August 2012 07:23:45 AM
Old 08-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
All of the sed documentation I've seen says that the "{" command format is:
Code:
[2addr] {function
function
. . .
}

because "function" doesn't include an address. I wonder if this is something that all implementation of sed do (but never documented) {and should be included in a future version of the POSIX and UNIX standards}, or if it is only provided by some implementations of sed?
"function" is probably meant recursively. A function itself is a list of commands and may contain other functions as well. This is a principle in probably any programming language.

To be honest i haven't read the POSIX standard papers as intensively as you seem to have done, so i can only guess. What i have explained above is true for all the sed-variants i have ran across in my nearly 30 years of Unix, so even if my explanation is not completely POSIXly-correct it seems to cover the truth from a practical point of view.

Still, i would be interested if you could find out how it is really supposed to work as i would prefer to be sure instead of almost sure. It seems like you could shed some light on it.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi part-pattern matching and deletion

Hi, I have a log file which shows the files which has been changed over the last week. They follow this pattern: old_file_version_number@@new_file_version_number Now I need to know how to delete from each line parts starting from @@. I would be issuing the command inside vi(m). So... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment/delete a particular pattern starting from second line of the matching pattern

Hi, I have file 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed find matching pattern delete next line

trying to use sed in finding a matching pattern in a file then deleting the next line only .. pattern --> <ad-content> I tried this but it results are not what I wish sed '/<ad-content>/{N;d;}' akv.xml > akv5.xml ex, <Celebrant2First>Mickey</Celebrant2First> <ad-content> Minnie... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aveitas
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - matching pattern one but not pattern two

All, I have the following file: -------------------------------------- # # /etc/pam.d/common-password - password-related modules common to all services # # This file is included from other service-specific PAM config files, # and should contain a list of modules that define the services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertBerrie
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Question: Search and Replace start of line to matching pattern

Hi guys, got a problem here with sed on the command line. If i have a string as below: online xx:wer:xcv: sdf:/asdf/http:https-asdfd How can i match the pattern "http:" and replace the start of the string to the pattern with null? I tried the following but it doesn't work: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to modify a line above or below matching pattern?

I couldn't figure out how to use sed or any other shell to do the following. Can anyone help? Thanks. If seeing a string (e.g., TODAY) in the line, replace a string in the line above (e.g, replace "Raining" with "Sunny") and replace a string in the line below (e.g., replace "Reading" with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprinner
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Matching and text deletion using VI

Can someone please assist me, I'm trying to get vi to remove all the occurences of the text in a file i.e. "DEVICE=/dev/mt??". The "??" represents a number variable. Is there a globel search and delete command that I can use? Thank You in Advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roadrunner
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed: Adding new line after matching pattern

Hi I just wanted to add a new line after every matching pattern: The method doing this doesn't matter, however, I have been using sed and this is what I tried doing, knowing that I am a bit off: sed 'Wf a\'/n'/g' Basically, I want to add a new line after occurrence of Wf. After the line Wf... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: printing lines AFTER pattern matching EXCLUDING the line containing the pattern

'Hi I'm using the following code to extract the lines(and redirect them to a txt file) after the pattern match. But the output is inclusive of the line with pattern match. Which option is to be used to exclude the line containing the pattern? sed -n '/Conn.*User/,$p' > consumers.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: essem
11 Replies
CSPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 CSPLIT(1)

NAME
csplit -- split files based on context SYNOPSIS
csplit [-ks] [-f prefix] [-n number] file args ... DESCRIPTION
The csplit utility splits file into pieces using the patterns args. If file is a dash ('-'), csplit reads from standard input. The options are as follows: -f prefix Give created files names beginning with prefix. The default is ``xx''. -k Do not remove output files if an error occurs or a HUP, INT or TERM signal is received. -n number Use number of decimal digits after the prefix to form the file name. The default is 2. -s Do not write the size of each output file to standard output as it is created. The args operands may be a combination of the following patterns: /regexp/[[+|-]offset] Create a file containing the input from the current line to (but not including) the next line matching the given basic regular expression. An optional offset from the line that matched may be specified. %regexp%[[+|-]offset] Same as above but a file is not created for the output. line_no Create containing the input from the current line to (but not including) the specified line number. {num} Repeat the previous pattern the specified number of times. If it follows a line number pattern, a new file will be created for each line_no lines, num times. The first line of the file is line number 1 for historic reasons. After all the patterns have been processed, the remaining input data (if there is any) will be written to a new file. Requesting to split at a line before the current line number or past the end of the file will result in an error. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of csplit as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The csplit utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Split the mdoc(7) file foo.1 into one file for each section (up to 20): csplit -k foo.1 '%^.Sh%' '/^.Sh/' '{20}' Split standard input after the first 99 lines and every 100 lines thereafter: csplit -k - 100 '{19}' SEE ALSO
sed(1), split(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The csplit utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A csplit command appeared in PWB UNIX. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
January 26, 2005 BSD