Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Prevent word splitting with file with spaces in name Post 302681667 by alan on Friday 3rd of August 2012 07:29:43 PM
Old 08-03-2012
Prevent word splitting with file with spaces in name

Hello,

I have a script that "validates" a ZIP file that look like this

Code:
AAA_20120801.zip =>
x~back end~20120801.TXT
y~time in~20120801.TXT
z~heat_chamber~20120801.TXT
AAA_20120801.ctl

My task is to compare its contents (i.e the list of files contained inside) with the control file that is provided inside the ZIP file itself.

Since we've started receiving files with spaces in their name, I prevented the OS from word splitting file names when I view the ZIP's contents like so

Code:
FIRST_Array=(); while read length date time filename; do FIRST_Array+=( "$filename" ); echo -e "$filename"; 
done < <(/usr/bin/unzip -qql AAA_20120801.zip)

When I try to do the same with the control file,

Code:
SECOND_Array=(); while read filename; do SECOND_Array+=( "$filename" ); echo -e "$filename"; done < <(/usr/bin/unzip -p AAA_20120801.zip AAA_20120801.ctl )

SECOND_Array() correctly outputs the file names in the control files but it also output the file sizes listed in the control file
Code:
x~back end~20120801.TXT 2KB
y~time in~20120801.TXT 2KB
z~heat_chamber~20120801.TXT 2KB

and my array comparison (diff -q) fails.

I tried adding this bit of Awk() code to remove the file size field but it brings word splitting back!

Code:
SECOND_Array=(); while read filename; do SECOND_Array+=( "$filename" ); echo -e "$filename"; done < <(/usr/bin/unzip -p AAA_20120801.zip AAA_20120801.ctl |awk '{print $1}')

How can I remove the file size info and prevent word splitting? Any ideas?

Thank you.

Last edited by alan; 08-03-2012 at 09:01 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

prevent file size is too large

We have EDP members will do some testing job in my system , but sometimes these process will generate some error to the system log or any file ( usually the members don't know the log is reached to this level ) , then make the system crashed , could suggest the way how can to prevent this problem ?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can a shell script pull the first word (or nth word) off each line of a text file?

Greetings. I am struggling with a shell script to make my life simpler, with a number of practical ways in which it could be used. I want to take a standard text file, and pull the 'n'th word from each line such as the first word from a text file. I'm struggling to see how each line can be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricky
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retaining Spaces within a word

Hi Experts, I have a 2 GB flat file which have unicode field, some of them are blanks and its size is 4000 character. In the existing system SED command removes the spaces. Because of this field itself....it is taking almost three days to complete the file processing. I removed sed and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RcR
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete spaces around a word

suppose a line has one word ex: unix how to delete space around that word? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
8 Replies

5. AIX

How to prevent an application from closing a file

I'm writing some software tests, & one of my test cases is to prevent an address space from closing a data file (file is closed & a new one opened every 15 minutes). I can't remove or rename the file while it's being written to, any other ideas to prevent a file from being closed - or at least... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasahl
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell - word splitting - using eval

In POSIX shell, we don't have arrays, but we can iterate over a list like this: #!/bin/sh list="Fred Barney Wilma Betty" for i in $list; do echo $i; done Fred Barney Wilma Betty But let's say we want "Mr. Slate" in the list. We know we can't just stick him in there like this:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjd_tech
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

8. Ubuntu

How to remove multiple spaces in between word? (VI EDITOR)?

What last line mode command allows me to remove extra spaces in between words in a text? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rabeel
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] splitting a single column(with spaces) into multiple rows

Hi All, My requisite is to split a single column of phonemes seperated by spaces into multiple rows. my input file is: a dh u th a qn ch A v U r k my o/p should be like: adhu a dh u (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girlofgenuine
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to catch a two word keyword which may contain a new line(may include spaces or tab) in it?

How to catch a two word keyword which may contain a new line(may include spaces or tab) in it. for example there is a file a.txt. $more a.txt create view as (select from ......... .......... ( select .... ( select ...... .. select only no ((( number ( select end (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
12 Replies
ZIPGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							ZIPGREP(1)

NAME
zipgrep - search files in a ZIP archive for lines matching a pattern SYNOPSIS
zipgrep [egrep_options] pattern file[.zip] [file(s) ...] [-x xfile(s) ...] DESCRIPTION
zipgrep will search files within a ZIP archive for lines matching the given string or pattern. zipgrep is a shell script and requires egrep(1) and unzip(1) to function. Its output is identical to that of egrep(1). ARGUMENTS
pattern The pattern to be located within a ZIP archive. Any string or regular expression accepted by egrep(1) may be used. file[.zip] Path of the ZIP archive. (Wildcard expressions for the ZIP archive name are not supported.) If the literal filename is not found, the suffix .zip is appended. Note that self-extracting ZIP files are supported, as with any other ZIP archive; just specify the .exe suffix (if any) explicitly. [file(s)] An optional list of archive members to be processed, separated by spaces. If no member files are specified, all members of the ZIP archive are searched. Regular expressions (wildcards) may be used to match multiple members: * matches a sequence of 0 or more characters ? matches exactly 1 character [...] matches any single character found inside the brackets; ranges are specified by a beginning character, a hyphen, and an end- ing character. If an exclamation point or a caret (`!' or `^') follows the left bracket, then the range of characters within the brackets is complemented (that is, anything except the characters inside the brackets is considered a match). (Be sure to quote any character that might otherwise be interpreted or modified by the operating system.) [-x xfile(s)] An optional list of archive members to be excluded from processing. Since wildcard characters match directory separators (`/'), this option may be used to exclude any files that are in subdirectories. For example, ``zipgrep grumpy foo *.[ch] -x */*'' would search for the string ``grumpy'' in all C source files in the main directory of the ``foo'' archive, but none in any subdirectories. Without the -x option, all C source files in all directories within the zipfile would be searched. OPTIONS
All options prior to the ZIP archive filename are passed to egrep(1). SEE ALSO
egrep(1), unzip(1), zip(1), funzip(1), zipcloak(1), zipinfo(1), zipnote(1), zipsplit(1) URL
The Info-ZIP home page is currently at http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ or ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/ . AUTHORS
zipgrep was written by Jean-loup Gailly. Info-ZIP 20 April 2009 ZIPGREP(1)