Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dd cloning of whole disk
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu dd cloning of whole disk Post 302681527 by Lem on Friday 3rd of August 2012 02:07:57 PM
Old 08-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist
Yes! 'dd' does work. Scrutiniser's 'bs=1M' did the job. A bootable clone in 2.75hours with results returned with no discrepancies.
For your goal IMHO it's better (and easier) to use dd_rescue than dd, even better to use ddrescue. And you learn to use something useful in case of hardware problems (dead sectors). For some more info:
System Administration Bits of Knowledge

To install and learn dd_rescue in Ubuntu:

Code:
sudo apt-get install ddrescue
man dd_rescue

Yes, dd_rescue is in package ddrescue (Debian and Ubuntu).

To install and learn ddrescue in Ubuntu:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gddrescue
man ddrescue

Yes, ddrescue is in package gddrescue (Debian and Ubuntu).

For single partitions, best (and often much faster) is to use Partimage.
--
Bye

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Disk cloning

Hello everybody, :confused: I have to change the system disk on an old PC running SCO 5.0.5. The disk is up and running, this is a preventive action. My experience on UNIX is very limited and I look for the easyest solution to clone this unit. Is it possible with commands or through a clone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhachez
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Hpux Disk Cloning

hello, Anybody that has already running script or command that can disk clone the hpux machine thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk cloning using ufsrestore

I am using ufsdump and ufsrestore to clone the root disk on one of my servers. I would like to automate this as much as possible, but have run into a problem where it prompts for changing the owner/mode when it is complete. Any ideas for running this in the background and not being prompted? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patricko0317
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

cloning a server

I wish to clone a RedHat EL5 server. What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wazzu62
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem by cloning boot disk.

Hello guys! I use the Solaris 10 x86 machine. I need to clone the boot disk. Why, when I copy slice 1 - there is a following: # ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0d0s1 | (cd /mnt && ufsrestore rf - ) DUMP: Warning - super-block on device `/dev/rdsk/c0d01` is corrupt - run fsck Dump: The Entire... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
6 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Automated disk cloning

Hi, I'm running Ubuntu on my laptop. To keep my data safe and easy disaster recovery as well I bought similar HDD to one installed in my laptop with higher capacity and using USB box I'm doing disk clone to it. So at any time I can replace disk and carry on with my work as before. I'm trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uvaio
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cloning

Hi, Is there disadvantages if we do AIX Serevr cloning to the new AIX server. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

HP-UX server cloning

Hello Friends, Am in requirement to clone a Live HP-UX server here's details OS: HpUX B-11.11 with mirrored LVM disks . S/ws: Remedy, XML engine, Annoysystem, Oracle All Oracle, XMl and Remedy data is on SAM LUN which is used for clustering . My requirement to create a clone server and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
10 Replies

9. Linux

Disk cloning ?

Dear All I needed to clone my disk to another hard drive . I did it as the following : #dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc But after a while, the procedure ended with the "writing to /dev/sdc input/output error" message. Can you please let me know how can I overcome this as the fdisk now returns as "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
1 Replies
byobu-enable(1) 						       byobu							   byobu-enable(1)

NAME
byobu-enable, byobu-disable - wrapper script for enabling/disabling automatic startup of byobu after login into text console SYNOPSIS
byobu-enable byobu-disable DESCRIPTION
byobu-enable will do two things: 1) run byobu-launcher-install(1) to configure byobu(1) to launch automatically on login 2) then launch byobu(1) byobu-disable will simply run byobu-launcher-uninstall(1). BUGS
None found, yet. SEE ALSO
screen(1), byobu-config(1), byobu-export(1), byobu-status(1), byobu-status-detail(1) http://launchpad.net/byobu AUTHOR
This manpage was written by Jan Klepek <jan.klepek at gmail.com> and the utility was written by Dustin Kirkland <kirkland@ubuntu.com> for Ubuntu systems (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 published by the Free Software Foundation. The complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL on Debian/Ubuntu systems, or in /usr/share/doc/fedora-release-*/GPL on Fedora systems, or on the web at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt. byobu 6 January 2011 byobu-enable(1)