Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with Special characters in file Post 302681483 by Corona688 on Friday 3rd of August 2012 12:37:35 PM
Old 08-03-2012
What encoding is this? Your copyright character may end up being several bytes, even though it's a single character, which awk's formatting won't take into account.

In fact, if this file really is supposed to be fixed width, the presence of a character like that may be a problem altogether.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete a file with special characters

I don't now exactly how I did it, but I created a file named " -C " cexdi:/home1 $ls -lt total 1801336 -rw------- 1 cexdi ced-group 922275840 23 mars 10:03 -C How do I delete this file ? cexdi:/home1 $rm -C rm: invalid option -- C Syntax : rm filename ... Doesn't work...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yveslagace
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping special characters in file name...

dear, I would like to rename files in a dir to another format, so I write a bash shell script to handle it. But my problem now is how to handle files having special characters like spaces, (, ): "a b c (d).doc" It seems that I need to escape those characters before applying the "mv" command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lau0001
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

utf-8, problem with special characters

Hi all, We are facing the following problem in our HP-UX machine: software that manipulates utf-8 encoded strings (e.g. during string cut), fails to correctly manipulate strings (all containing Greek characters) that contain special characters like @, &, # etc. Actually, in different... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alina
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters giving problem

Hi All, I have a CSV file in which some fields contains special character for ex:- my file is file 1 cat file1 abcd,bgfht,ngbht,abvc **** hdlld,hsgdt,bhfy,knht **** whenever i am trying to put a 4th feild in a variable its giving me list of all the files i have in current... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to tail file; problem with awk and special characters

Trying to use code that I found to send only new lines out of a log file by doing: while :; do temp=$(tail -1 logfile.out) awk "/$last/{p=1}p" logfile.out #pipe this to log analyzer program last="$temp" sleep 10 done Script works fine when logfile is basic text, but when it contains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moo72moo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with special characters....

grep -i "$line,$opline" COMBO_JUNK|awk -F, ' { C4+=$4 } { } END { print C4 } ' OFS=,` when i run this command in the script.... it o/p all the value as 0 if $line contains any special parameters..... but the same script if i run in command prompt... it shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File containing special characters

Hello All, I am facing challenges in order to transfer a file from windows to unix box,the file contains a special character '×' ,now when I am transferring the file from windows to unix that special character converted to something else like 'Ã' ,another thing I have noticed that the hardware is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prarat
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute special Characters into a file

Hi experts :) I need to replace special characters into a file , in the followiing way : " --> "" ' --> '' _--> \_ I tried with the sed command but I'm getting and error ksh: $: not found. ksh: $: not found. sed: Function s/\/\/ cannot be parsed. Any idea ? Thanks , KOLAS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kolas79
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a file containing special characters

I want to parse a file containing special characters, below is a sample content of file content of file : Serial_no:1$$@#first_name:Rahane$$@last_name:Ajiyenke@@#profession:cricketer!@#*&^ Serial_no:1$$@#first_name:Rahane$$@last_name:Ajiyenke@@#profession:cricketer!@#*&^... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajMjar
3 Replies
MB_INTERNAL_ENCODING(3) 						 1						   MB_INTERNAL_ENCODING(3)

mb_internal_encoding - Set/Get internal character encoding

SYNOPSIS
mixed mb_internal_encoding ([string $encoding = mb_internal_encoding()]) DESCRIPTION
Set/Get the internal character encoding PARAMETERS
o $encoding -$encoding is the character encoding name used for the HTTP input character encoding conversion, HTTP output character encoding conversion, and the default character encoding for string functions defined by the mbstring module. You should notice that the internal encoding is totally different from the one for multibyte regex. RETURN VALUES
If $encoding is set, then Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. In this case, the character encoding for multibyte regex is NOT changed. If $encoding is omitted, then the current character encoding name is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mb_internal_encoding(3) example <?php /* Set internal character encoding to UTF-8 */ mb_internal_encoding("UTF-8"); /* Display current internal character encoding */ echo mb_internal_encoding(); ?> SEE ALSO
mb_http_input(3), mb_http_output(3), mb_detect_order(3), mb_regex_encoding(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_INTERNAL_ENCODING(3)