Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with Special characters in file Post 302681481 by marcus_kosaman on Friday 3rd of August 2012 12:34:40 PM
Old 08-03-2012
Problem with Special characters in file

Hi,

I am facing a below problem. Inorder to mak sure the below file is fixed width i am using the following command
Code:
awk '{printf("%-375s\n", $0) }

so as to add trailing spaces at the end for records of length less than 375.
Input file > inp.txt
Code:
1©1234
123©1

The output file is fixed with of expected length but the data after the © is getting lost is getting padded spaces.

Output:
1<space till 375>
1234<space till 375>
123<spacetill 375>

Can you please let me know as to how to avoid this and of there is a better way to make the records in a file fixed width?
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Code tags for code, please.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to see special characters in a file using vi

Hi, I have a file which has special characters. I can't see them when I "vi" the file. But I am sure there are some special un seen characters. How can I see them? Please help. Thx (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete a file with special characters

I don't now exactly how I did it, but I created a file named " -C " cexdi:/home1 $ls -lt total 1801336 -rw------- 1 cexdi ced-group 922275840 23 mars 10:03 -C How do I delete this file ? cexdi:/home1 $rm -C rm: invalid option -- C Syntax : rm filename ... Doesn't work...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yveslagace
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping special characters in file name...

dear, I would like to rename files in a dir to another format, so I write a bash shell script to handle it. But my problem now is how to handle files having special characters like spaces, (, ): "a b c (d).doc" It seems that I need to escape those characters before applying the "mv" command.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lau0001
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

utf-8, problem with special characters

Hi all, We are facing the following problem in our HP-UX machine: software that manipulates utf-8 encoded strings (e.g. during string cut), fails to correctly manipulate strings (all containing Greek characters) that contain special characters like @, &, # etc. Actually, in different... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alina
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters giving problem

Hi All, I have a CSV file in which some fields contains special character for ex:- my file is file 1 cat file1 abcd,bgfht,ngbht,abvc **** hdlld,hsgdt,bhfy,knht **** whenever i am trying to put a 4th feild in a variable its giving me list of all the files i have in current... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to tail file; problem with awk and special characters

Trying to use code that I found to send only new lines out of a log file by doing: while :; do temp=$(tail -1 logfile.out) awk "/$last/{p=1}p" logfile.out #pipe this to log analyzer program last="$temp" sleep 10 done Script works fine when logfile is basic text, but when it contains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moo72moo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with special characters....

grep -i "$line,$opline" COMBO_JUNK|awk -F, ' { C4+=$4 } { } END { print C4 } ' OFS=,` when i run this command in the script.... it o/p all the value as 0 if $line contains any special parameters..... but the same script if i run in command prompt... it shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File containing special characters

Hello All, I am facing challenges in order to transfer a file from windows to unix box,the file contains a special character '×' ,now when I am transferring the file from windows to unix that special character converted to something else like 'Ã' ,another thing I have noticed that the hardware is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prarat
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitute special Characters into a file

Hi experts :) I need to replace special characters into a file , in the followiing way : " --> "" ' --> '' _--> \_ I tried with the sed command but I'm getting and error ksh: $: not found. ksh: $: not found. sed: Function s/\/\/ cannot be parsed. Any idea ? Thanks , KOLAS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kolas79
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a file containing special characters

I want to parse a file containing special characters, below is a sample content of file content of file : Serial_no:1$$@#first_name:Rahane$$@last_name:Ajiyenke@@#profession:cricketer!@#*&^ Serial_no:1$$@#first_name:Rahane$$@last_name:Ajiyenke@@#profession:cricketer!@#*&^... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajMjar
3 Replies
IO::Async::Timer::Absolute(3pm) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   IO::Async::Timer::Absolute(3pm)

NAME
"IO::Async::Timer::Absolute" - event callback at a fixed future time SYNOPSIS
use IO::Async::Timer::Absolute; use POSIX qw( mktime ); use IO::Async::Loop; my $loop = IO::Async::Loop->new; my @time = gmtime; my $timer = IO::Async::Timer::Absolute->new( time => mktime( 0, 0, 0, $time[4]+1, $time[5], $time[6] ), on_expire => sub { print "It's midnight "; $loop->stop; }, ); $loop->add( $timer ); $loop->run; DESCRIPTION
This subclass of IO::Async::Timer implements one-shot events at a fixed time in the future. The object waits for a given timestamp, and invokes its callback at that point in the future. For a "Timer" object that waits for a delay relative to the time it is started, see instead IO::Async::Timer::Countdown. EVENTS
The following events are invoked, either using subclass methods or CODE references in parameters: on_expire Invoked when the timer expires. PARAMETERS
The following named parameters may be passed to "new" or "configure": on_expire => CODE CODE reference for the "on_expire" event. time => NUM The epoch time at which the timer will expire. Once constructed, the timer object will need to be added to the "Loop" before it will work. Unlike other timers, it does not make sense to "start" this object, because its expiry time is absolute, and not relative to the time it is started. AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2012-10-24 IO::Async::Timer::Absolute(3pm)