Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ls -s and ls -l returns different file size Post 302681181 by methyl on Friday 3rd of August 2012 01:03:09 AM
Old 08-03-2012
@rei125
What Operating System and version are you running and what Shell you you use?
The order of the fields from your ls command is weird. I wonder if someone has modied your ls command.
Please post the output from:
Code:
alias | grep "ls"
type ls

Post #1 does not match the commands to the output and appears to show 5 different files. Please re-post showing clearly what command you actually typed to get each line of output, making it clear where you believe there is an anomaly.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing carriage returns in text file

Hi I have a text file that looks like this: A B C D E F G H I I want it to be reformatted to A;B;C; D;E;F; G;H;I; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolnfunky
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

4. Programming

Some how the open(file,flag, acc) returns 0 and write to the screen, instead of the file ???

I am out of idea what to do to resolve the problem! I need to use the open(file, for.., access) function to write a file. Never have the situation like that: it is return 0 - zero. As a result all write(..) going to the screen! What the problem it could be? I do not even know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Adding carriage returns to file using sed/awk

Hello, I need help adding carriage returns at specific intervals (say 692 characters) to a text file that's one continous string. I'm working in AIX5.3. Any quick help is appreciated. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of carriage returns from a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a file which is having some carriage return in one of the field for which single line is coming in multiple lines. I want to combine all those multiple lines of that field into one line. Eg: Input: Id, Name, Location, Comments, Dept 2, John, US, I am from US. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahish20
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file size and send email only if size > 0.

Hi Experts, I have a script like $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password # << ENDSQL set pagesize 0 trim on feedback off verify off echo off newp none timing off set serveroutput on set heading off spool Schemaerrtmp.txt select ' TIMESTAMP COMPUTER NAME ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm -rf ab returns find: `./ab': No such file or directory

Hi Gurus. This is driving me a bit batty. I now if must be a simple matter but I cant find anything that references it. I have a housekeeping script that searches for some huge dump directories then removes them using rm -rf. find ./ -name 'ab' -exec rm -rf {} \; This works but always... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinser
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)