Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assembling the Pieces of a Regular Expression Post 302680225 by Michael_K on Wednesday 1st of August 2012 01:05:27 PM
Old 08-01-2012
balajesuri,

Thank you for your assistance. The code you supplied...
Code:

grep -i -E "([0-2][0-9]|3[01])-(JAN|FEB|MAR|APR|MAY|JUN|JUL|AUG|SEP|OCT|NOV|DEC)-[0-9][0-9]"

...worked perfectly for me!

I guess my problem was a syntax error; I notice you did not enclose the "-" within brackets.

Thank you for pointing out the potential for illogical dates such as 31-FEB. I know my code isn't 100% fool-proof, but I'm writing my script for (reasonably) experienced users, so hopefully I don't have to code against something that foolish. Smilie

I like your suggestion to use the date -d. It appears I don't have GNU date available to me, though. That would have been a beautiful solution to the problem, however!

Thank you very much for your assistance! I really appreciate it!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expression help

HI All, I want to list a file with the below format : testfile_nnnnn.xxxx where n and x can be any digit 0-9. n repeats 5 times and x 4 times... I tried with something like below: ls -l testfile_/\{5\}/* to start with but its not working. Please could anyone help? Thanks D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

Hi I have to extract the first field and the last %field of the following out put.. /home (/abc/def/bhd ) : 522328 total allocated Kb 319448 free allocated Kb ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression Help

Hi What is the meaning of this in regular expression $k =~ s/^\s*//; Plz explain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression

Hello, I want to extract text between <td class="di_resultscolumnheader"> and </td>. I wrote the below code to extract text. But I am able to extract the text for the first match only. Can some one help me in this? Thanks in advance. Code: if ($line =~ /<td... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koneru_18
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

Hello Gurus, I am looking for regular expressions for awk to filter on second column 2nd and 3rd digit Using in code something like: awk '{if ( $2 == "0::" ) print} source file: 0 0:0:0 FC 15 normal 559104 51200 0:3:1* 1:3:1 600 1 0:0:1 FC 15 normal ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalgoyal
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)