Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to send attachment without using uuencode and mutt Post 302680187 by praveen_reddy on Wednesday 1st of August 2012 11:41:32 AM
Old 08-01-2012
if you want to attach file .. you must have uuencode or mutt installed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

send attachment without uuencode

Hello - In unix, can you tell me IF there is a way to send attachments via email without using uuencode command? Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Binary txt file received when i use uuencode to send txt file as attachment

Hi, I have already read a lot of posts on sending attachments in unix...but none of them were of help for my problem...so here goes.. i wanna attach a text file and send to a mail id..used the following code : uuencode "$File1" "$File1" ;|mail -s "$Mail_sub" abc@abc.com it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash22
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Send HTML body and HTML attachment using MUTT command

Hi there.. I need a proper "mutt" command to send a mail with html body and html attachment at a time. Also if possible let me know the other commands to do this task. Please help me.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send files as an attachment without uuencode

Hi All, Is there anyway we can send files as an attachment? I tried running uuencode but its giving an error as below: $ uuencode Z1.txt Z1.txt |mailx -s "hi" abc@abc.com ksh: uuencode: not found. Null message body; hope that's ok When i gave which command then it says there is no... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
18 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send attachment without using uuencode

H All I want to send attachment in mail but I dont have uuencode installed in AIX server, there is any alternative way to send attachment in mail. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ns64110
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send attachment using "sendmail" command or without uuencode command

Hi Guys, I dont have uuencode, mutt, base64 command available on my aix machine there is any alternative way to send file as attachement in mail. (3 Replies)
3 Replies

7. AIX

How to send attachment using "sendmail" command or without uuencode command

Hi Guys, I dont have uuencode, mutt, base64 command available on my aix machine there is any alternative way to send file as attachement in mail. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. AIX

Need to send attachment in Mail without using uuencode via script in AIX6.1

Dear All, Would some one help me with this to send a file as attachment in a mail using a script without uuencode... I am working on AIX 6.1, the thing is I dont have uuencode available... Is there any other alternate possible way to send file attachment with the mail without using uuencode... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: msmadhan11
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HTML and attachment using mutt command

Hi All, I want to attach the file as well send html content in the mail body using mutt command or any other command.(uuencode is not present). Please help me. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arukuku
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending attachment with email without using uuencode and mutt

Hi All, do we have any option for sending attachment with email except using uuencode and mutt, because if i use these utilities then i will have to install them separately which is not feasible at time. please suggest on this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
2 Replies
TNEF(1)                                                       General Commands Manual                                                      TNEF(1)

NAME
tnef - decode Microsoft's Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format SYNOPSIS
tnef [options] [FILE] tnef {--help | --version} DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the tnef filter. tnef decodes e-mail attachments encoded in Microsoft's Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format (hereafter, TNEF), which "wraps" Microsoft e-mail attachments. Unfortunately, these "wrapped" attachments are inaccessible to any e-mail client that does not understand TNEF. Fortunately, the tnef fil- ter can be used by any MIME-aware client to unpack these attachments. OPTIONS
-f FILE, --file=FILE use FILE as input ('-' denotes stdin). When this option is omitted, tnef reads data from stdin. -C DIR, --directory=DIR unpack file attachments into DIR. -x SIZE, --maxsize=SIZE limit maximum size of extracted archive (bytes) -t, --list list attached files, do not extract. -w, --interactive, --confirmation ask for confirmation for every action. --overwrite when extracting attachments, overwrite existing files. --number-backups when extracting attachments, if file FOO will be overwritten, create FOO.n instead. --use-paths honor file pathnames specified in the TNEF attachment. For security reasons, paths to attached files are ignored by default. --save-body FILE Save message body data found in the TNEF data. There can be up to three message bodies in the file, plain text, HTML encoded, and RTF encoded. Which are saved is specified by the --body-pref option. By default the message bodies are written to a file named message with an extension based upon the type (txt, html, rtf). --body-pref PREF Specifies which of the possibly three message body formats will be saved. PREF can be up to three characters long and each charac- ter must be one of 'r', 'h', or 't' specifying RTF, HTML or text. The order is the order that the data will be checked, the first type found will be saved. If PREF is the special value of 'all' then any and all message body data found will be saved. The default is 'rht'. --save-rtf FILE DEPRECATED. Equivalent to --save-body=FILE --body-pref=r -h, --help show usage message. -V, --version display version and copyright. -v, --verbose produce verbose output. --debug enable debug output. EXAMPLE
The following example demonstrates typical tnef usage with a popular Unix mail client called "mutt". Step 1 -- Configure ~/.mailcap Mutt can't use tnef for its intended purpose until an appropriate content type definition exists in ~/.mailcap . Here's a sample defini- tion: application/ms-tnef; tnef -w %s This mailcap entry says that whenever the MIME content type: application/ms-tnef is encountered, use this command to decode it: tnef -w %s The latter command string invokes tnef, specifying both the -w option and the attachment (created as a temporary file) as command line arguments. Step 2 -- Add The Filter To $PATH Mutt can't invoke tnef if the filter isn't accessible via $PATH. Step 3 -- Test Mutt Use mutt to read a message that includes a TNEF attachment. Mutt will note that an attachment of type "application/ms-tnef is unsup- ported". Press the "v" key to open mutt's "view attachment" menu. Move the cursor over the TNEF attachment and press the enter key to "view" the attachment. Mutt will launch tnef and invoke it using the command line syntax specified in ~/.mailcap (step 1). tnef then decodes all file(s) included in the TNEF attachment, prompting for confir- mation prior to creating an individual file (refer to -w option above). -w is useful here because it gives the end user a chance to view the filename(s) included in the mail message. Note that Mutt's attachment menu also supports a pipe option, which permits the user to pipe attachments to an external filter (how conve- nient). So, to list the contents of a TNEF attachment prior to decoding it, press the "|" key and enter this command: tnef -t SEE ALSO
metamail(1), mailcap(4), mutt(1), other email clients. AUTHOR
Mark Simpson. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to Mark Simpson <verdammelt@users.sourceforge.net> OTHER REFERENCES
This web page: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q136/2/04.asp describes how to configure Microsoft email clients so that the TNEF format is disabled when sending messages to non-TNEF-compatible clients. Filter TNEF MIME Decoder TNEF(1)