Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Bring up the Eth0 port of an Unix machine Post 302680009 by gjasper on Wednesday 1st of August 2012 05:13:12 AM
Old 08-01-2012
Bring up the Eth0 port of an Unix machine

I brought down the Eth0 of an Unix machine using the below command.

Code:
ifconfig eth0 down

When i tried the brought back the eth0 using similar command, the system is expecting a reboot to bring it back.

Code:
ifconfig eth0 up

I also tried restart the network using below command but it got struck in bringing up eth0.
Code:
service network start
service network restart

But things goes fine when i reboot the unix machine. The Eth0 gets active an enables me to establish a telnet session on the respective machine. Is it possible to shut and bring back eth0 without rebooting an Unix machine

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

ping Port number of HPUX machine

I have 2 HPUX machines. Let say machine A and B. In HPUX machine A, I would like to ping the port number of machine B. Is there any command or any HPUX freeware available? In windows, I can use some freeware to ping port to any type of machines (e.g. HPUX, Windows and etc). See URL below. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Teh Tiack Ein
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

accessing unix machine through com port

sirs, iam using cygwin software (linux environment on windows xp). I have connected unix machine to COM port to which i can access through hyper terminal. Can i access the unix machine from the cygwin (linux)...if so how it can be done. please give ur valuable suggestions................. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manikumar
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

To find switch port of machine running under VMware

I would like to find a switch port( of a VLAN of CISCO switch) of a machine which is acutally running under VMware. Now I only know about IP & MAC address of a machine which running under VMware and I do not know about the real machine where VMware is installed. Is there any possibility? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp from windows to unix using a perl script on unix machine

i need to ftp a file from windows to a unix machine by executing a sript(perl/shell/php) from that unix machine.i can also use HTML and javascript to build forms. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find out if a port is available on a remote machine?

hi, I can ping into another unix machine, but I cannot seem to access a certain application. I think it might be because I am now allowed to connect to the port (because of firewall configuration). How can I find out if I have access to a port on another machine? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to transfer files from unix machine to local machine using shell script?

Hi All.. Am new to Unix!! Am creating a shell script in which a scenario is like i have transfer the output file from unix machine (Server) to local directory (Windows xp). And also i have to transfer the input file from the local directory to Unix machine (Server) Any help from you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To bring all characters in one line in unix

How to bring all characters in one line in unix/solaris ? Eg : If it is a b c then it should show abc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahen1naik
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How to find port number wwn of particular port on dual port HBA,?

please find the below o/p for your reference bash-3.00# fcinfo hba-port HBA Port WWN: 21000024ff295a34 OS Device Name: /dev/cfg/c2 Manufacturer: QLogic Corp. Model: 375-3356-02 Firmware Version: 05.03.02 FCode/BIOS Version: BIOS: 2.02; fcode: 2.01;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
3 Replies
IFNDP-PROXY(5)						       Network configuration						    IFNDP-PROXY(5)

NAME
ifndp-proxy[-<interface name>] - IPv6 NDP and IPv4 ARP proxy entries SYNOPSIS
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifndp-proxy /etc/sysconfig/network/ifndp-proxy-<interface name> DESCRIPTION
These files contain IPv6 NDP and IPv4 ARP proxy settings, that should be applied using the ip neigh add proxy command documented in the ip(8) manual page that provides a common interface for IPv4 and IPv6. The NDP/ARP proxy is required, e.g. when IP addresses from the same subnet have to be used on the interface of the host as well as on interfaces behind a (tunnel) interface and using a bridge is not an option. Don't forget to enable forwarding and the NDP/ARP proxy by setting net.ipv6.conf.<all|default|interface name>.proxy_ndp = 1 net.ipv6.conf.<all|default|interface name>.forwarding = 1 and/or net.ipv4.conf.<all|default|interface name>.proxy_arp = 1 net.ipv4.conf.<all|default|interface name>.forwarding = 1 or net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 either as global all setting in the /etc/sysctl.conf file or using the ifsysctl(5) files, that allow per-interface setup. Forwarding can be also enabled in the /etc/sysconfig/sysctl file using the IP_FORWARD and IPV6_FORWARD variables. The proxy entries are added and deleted using the if-{up|down}.d/ndp-proxy script, every time after an involved interface has been set up or down. SYNTAX
The format of the ifndp-proxy file is: <address> <address interface> <proxy interface list> The format of the ifndp-proxy-<address interface> file is same to above, but allows also to omit the address interface by using a "-" as placeholder inside of the file, because it is already available in the file name: <address> <address interface | -> <proxy interface list> Lines beginning with # and blank lines are ignored. Each line defines to add a proxy NDP/ARP entry with the address of or behind address interface to all interfaces in the proxy interface list. EXAMPLES
Let's assume, your machine is connected via eth0 to a switch with the networks 2001:db8:abba::/64 and 192.168.100.1/24 and is using the IP address 1 itself. You'd like to use the addresses 11 and 12 e.g. for virtual machines behind the tap1 and tap2 interface, that is: 2001:db8:abba::1/64 -- local eth0 address 2001:db8:abba::11/64 -- address behind tap1 2001:db8:abba::12/64 -- address behind tap2 192.168.100.1/24 -- local eth0 address 192.168.100.11/24 -- address behind tap1 192.168.100.12/24 -- address behind tap2 then set up the following entries in the ifndp-proxy file: 2001:db8:abba::1 eth0 tap1 tap2 2001:db8:abba::11 tap1 eth0 tap2 2001:db8:abba::12 tap2 eth0 tap1 192.168.100.1 eth0 tap1 tap2 192.168.100.11 tap1 eth0 tap2 192.168.100.12 tap2 eth0 tap1 additionally to the routing entries in the routes or ifroute-<interface name> files. BUGS
Please report bugs at <https://bugzilla.novell.com/> AUTHOR
Marius Tomaschewski <mt@suse.de> SEE ALSO
ifup(8) ifcfg(5) ifsysctl(8) sysconfig December 2009 IFNDP-PROXY(5)