Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting split file by delimiter with csplit Post 302679725 by yifangt on Tuesday 31st of July 2012 01:54:56 PM
Old 07-31-2012
split file by delimiter with csplit

Hello,
I want to split a big file into smaller ones with certain "counts". I am aware this type of job has been asked quite often, but I posted again when I came to csplit, which may be simpler to solve the problem.
Input file (fasta format):
Code:
>seq1
agtcagtc
agtcagtc
ag
>seq2
agtcagtcagtc
agtcagtcagtc
agtcagtc
>seq3
agtcagtcagtcagtc
agtcagtcagtcagtc
agtcagtcagtcagtc
>seq4
agtcagtcagtcagtcagtcagtc
>seq5
agtcagtc
>seq6
agtcagtcagtcagtcagtcagtcagtcagtcagtc
agtcagtcagtcagtcagtcagtc

I want output file by sequence counts (say 2, i.e. each output file will contain 2 sequences). Normally the input file can be hundreds of entries with different length of each row and different number of rows, but with the same ">" delimiter for sure. Recent fastq file can be millions of entries (or short reads, but with @ as the delimiter, if not familiar with DNA sequence).
OUTFILE1
Code:
>seq1
agtcagtc
agtcagtc
ag
>seq2
agtcagtcagtc
agtcagtcagtc
agtcagtc

OUTFILE2
Code:
>seq3
agtcagtcagtcagtc
agtcagtcagtcagtc
agtcagtcagtcagtc
>seq4
agtcagtcagtcagtcagtcagtc

OUTFILE3
Code:
>seq5
agtcagtc
>seq6
agtcagtcagtcagtcagtcagtc

AWK can do this job easily, also there are many perl/bioperl, python/biopython to do this job. It seems to me csplit could be a simpler way as a single command.
I gave it tries like following, but did not work out correctly:
Code:
csplit -s -f --prefix=part INFILE.fasta ARG1 {ARG2}

The problem here is ARG1 is the number of lines for csplit, but my case is each sequence may have different lines so that the counts I want is not proportional to the line number. ARG2 is number of output files, or repeat times for csplit. Thanks a bunch!
yifang

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

split string with multibyte delimiter

Hi, I need to split a string, either using awk or cut or basic unix commands (no programming) , with a multibyte charectar as a delimeter. Ex: abcd-efgh-ijkl split by -efgh- to get two segments abcd & ijkl Is it possible? Thanks A.H.S (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: azmathshaikh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split files using Csplit

I have an excel file with more than 65K records... Since excel does not take more than 65K records i wan to split the file and send it as two excel files... Could some help me how to use the csplit by specifiying the no of records (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: savitha
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a string with no delimiter

Hi; I want to write a shell script that will split a string with no delimiter. Basically the script will read a line from a file. For example the line it read from the file contains: 99234523 These values are never the same but the length will always be 8. How do i split this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint34
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help- counting delimiter in a huge file and split data into 2 files

I’m new to Linux script and not sure how to filter out bad records from huge flat files (over 1.3GB each). The delimiter is a semi colon “;” Here is the sample of 5 lines in the file: Name1;phone1;address1;city1;state1;zipcode1 Name2;phone2;address2;city2;state2;zipcode2;comment... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lv99
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file into multiple files using delimiter

Hi, I have a file which has many URLs delimited by space. Now i want them to move to separate files each one holding 10 URLs per file. http://3276.e-printphoto.co.uk/guardian http://abdera.apache.org/ http://abdera.apache.org/docs/api/index.html I have used the below code to arrange... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to target certain delimiter to split text file?

Hi, all. I have an input file. I would like to generate 3 types of output files. Input: LG10_PM_map_19_LEnd_1000560 LG10_PM_map_6-1_27101856 LG10_PM_map_71_REnd_20597718 LG12_PM_map_5_chr_118419232 LG13_PM_map_121_24341052 LG14_PM_1a_456799 LG1_MM_scf_5a_opt_abc_9029993 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: huiyee1
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to split large file with different record delimiter?

Hi, I have received a file which is 20 GB. We would like to split the file into 4 equal parts and process it to avoid memory issues. If the record delimiter is unix new line, I could use split command either with option l or b. The problem is that the line terminator is |##| How to use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi.K
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to Split matrix file with delimiter into multiple files

I have a large semicolon delimited file with thousands of columns and many thousands of line. It looks like: ID1;ID2;ID3;ID4;A_1;B_1;C_1;A_2;B_2;C_2;A_3;B_3;C_3 AA;ax;ay;az;01;02;03;04;05;06;07;08;09 BB;bx;by;bz;03;05;33;44;15;26;27;08;09 I want to split this table in to multiple files: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trymega
1 Replies
CSPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 CSPLIT(1)

NAME
csplit -- split files based on context SYNOPSIS
csplit [-ks] [-f prefix] [-n number] file args ... DESCRIPTION
The csplit utility splits file into pieces using the patterns args. If file is a dash ('-'), csplit reads from standard input. The options are as follows: -f prefix Give created files names beginning with prefix. The default is ``xx''. -k Do not remove output files if an error occurs or a HUP, INT or TERM signal is received. -n number Use number of decimal digits after the prefix to form the file name. The default is 2. -s Do not write the size of each output file to standard output as it is created. The args operands may be a combination of the following patterns: /regexp/[[+|-]offset] Create a file containing the input from the current line to (but not including) the next line matching the given basic regular expression. An optional offset from the line that matched may be specified. %regexp%[[+|-]offset] Same as above but a file is not created for the output. line_no Create containing the input from the current line to (but not including) the specified line number. {num} Repeat the previous pattern the specified number of times. If it follows a line number pattern, a new file will be created for each line_no lines, num times. The first line of the file is line number 1 for historic reasons. After all the patterns have been processed, the remaining input data (if there is any) will be written to a new file. Requesting to split at a line before the current line number or past the end of the file will result in an error. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of csplit as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The csplit utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Split the mdoc(7) file foo.1 into one file for each section (up to 20): csplit -k foo.1 '%^.Sh%' '/^.Sh/' '{20}' Split standard input after the first 99 lines and every 100 lines thereafter: csplit -k - 100 '{19}' SEE ALSO
sed(1), split(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The csplit utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A csplit command appeared in PWB UNIX. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
January 26, 2005 BSD