Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ls -s and ls -l returns different file size Post 302679575 by bakunin on Tuesday 31st of July 2012 08:44:07 AM
Old 07-31-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Please post the output of
Code:
cat /etc/mnttab

Depending on your OS this file could alternatively be named /etc/filesystems (AIX) or /etc/fstab (Linux, FreeBSD?) or even something different.

Either way, Jim wants to know what is mounted where and probably which (types of) filesystems are being used.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing carriage returns in text file

Hi I have a text file that looks like this: A B C D E F G H I I want it to be reformatted to A;B;C; D;E;F; G;H;I; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolnfunky
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

4. Programming

Some how the open(file,flag, acc) returns 0 and write to the screen, instead of the file ???

I am out of idea what to do to resolve the problem! I need to use the open(file, for.., access) function to write a file. Never have the situation like that: it is return 0 - zero. As a result all write(..) going to the screen! What the problem it could be? I do not even know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Adding carriage returns to file using sed/awk

Hello, I need help adding carriage returns at specific intervals (say 692 characters) to a text file that's one continous string. I'm working in AIX5.3. Any quick help is appreciated. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of carriage returns from a comma delimited file

Hi, I have a file which is having some carriage return in one of the field for which single line is coming in multiple lines. I want to combine all those multiple lines of that field into one line. Eg: Input: Id, Name, Location, Comments, Dept 2, John, US, I am from US. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahish20
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file size and send email only if size > 0.

Hi Experts, I have a script like $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password # << ENDSQL set pagesize 0 trim on feedback off verify off echo off newp none timing off set serveroutput on set heading off spool Schemaerrtmp.txt select ' TIMESTAMP COMPUTER NAME ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm -rf ab returns find: `./ab': No such file or directory

Hi Gurus. This is driving me a bit batty. I now if must be a simple matter but I cant find anything that references it. I have a housekeeping script that searches for some huge dump directories then removes them using rm -rf. find ./ -name 'ab' -exec rm -rf {} \; This works but always... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinser
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies
remote-filesystems(7)					 Miscellaneous Information Manual				     remote-filesystems(7)

NAME
remote-filesystems - event signalling that remote filesystems have been mounted SYNOPSIS
local-filesystems [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The remote-filesystems event is generated by the mountall(8) daemon after it has mounted all remote filesystems listed in fstab(5). moun- tall(8) emits this event as an informational signal, services and tasks started or stopped by this event will do so in parallel with other activity. This event is typically used by services that must be started to manage remote filesystems. When it occurs, local filesystems such as /usr may not be mounted. For most normal services the filesystem(7) event is sufficient. This event will never occur before the virtual-filesystems(7) event. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running once remote filesystems are mounted might use: start on remote-filesystems SEE ALSO
mounting(7) mounted(7) virtual-filesystems(7) local-filesystems(7) all-swaps(7) filesystem(7) mountall 2009-12-21 remote-filesystems(7)