Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Folder permissions
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Folder permissions Post 302679309 by paragnehete on Monday 30th of July 2012 04:03:27 PM
Old 07-30-2012
There is a folder in users home directory.

drwx------ .purple/logs/jabber/<parag>@jabber.<domain_name>/

Inside this there is folder of the user whom he chat. Say John is the user. Then at the first time when he chat it will create a folder like

drwx------ john@jabber.<domain_name>

The above folder contains html OR txt log files which has permissions -rw-r--r--

Every file & folder is owned by parag & has some default group.

When user chat with any person, the logs are generated. I need that log should generate, but users should not able to delete the files or folders inside .purple/logs/jabber/<parag>@jabber.<domain_name>/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User home folder permissions catch-22, help!

Hi everyone. My objective is to configure a Solaris 10 box as follows: There will be many simultaneous users connecting to it, and each of those users would automatically get a home folder. For example, when I add user "Bob", the home folder would be /export/home/Bob And for Mary, it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EugeneG
3 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

folder permissions

I work for a big company and all the people within my unit share a common drive to save documents to. I am listed in the group(AMS group) that has access rights to folders within this drive. but i'm trying to restrict access to a confidential folder so that only I can access it. when I set the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shed
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to generate nested folder permissions

Hi expert, I would like to know how to generate file and folder ( including nested subfolder and files) permissions under oracle directory ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to write a script to test the folder permissions

Hi All, I want a script to test folder permissions.( to alert me if a folder /abc/xyz does not have 775 permissions). i want to test /abc/xyz is having 775 permissions or not if not it has to alert me. Please help me ASAP Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh212512
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mkdir: copying a folder's permissions

Hi, I wanted to know how to create a folder using mkdir and then have it copy the permissions from another specified folder on the system. For example if I did this: mkdir /Volumes/USBSTICK/System How can I make it copy the permissions from the /System folder ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions of the folder var/www

what should be the permissions of the folder var/www in my ubuntu ? I need it to be safe and at the same time I need ftp users to be able to edit it. I was wondering if I should create a group with all permissions and add ftp users to this group in unix. what's the standard way to do it ?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Unix file, folder permissions, security auditing tools.

I want to periodically check if ASCII password/config files on Unix have 400 or 600 access. Folders and files are owned by designated group and user. Folders and Files do not have world write access. Are there any tools/scripts available for this kind of auditing that I can use on Solaris? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder permissions to delete

I am using the below command to delete files from directories and subdirectories find /test/abc/xyx -type f -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; there are some subfolders in xyx for which i don't have permission to delete. Is there a way i can check the permission of the folder first and then delete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Need to compare two folder / FS permissions

Hi, Need to compare two folders / File systems permissions & time stamps including sub folders and files. Kindly let me know if any commands available. Regards :: VM (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: novaothers
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

General question about folder level permissions

How is the level of access on a particular folder determined? I have heard (its just hearsay so am not particularly sure of it) that the access a particular user/group has to a low level directory is also affected by the level of access granted to the user/group on its parent directories. e.g. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
1 Replies
refile(1mh)															       refile(1mh)

Name
       refile - file message in other folders

Syntax
       refile [ msgs ] [ +folder ] [ options ]

Description
       Use  the  command to move the specified message from the current folder to another folder.  You can refile messages in more than one folder
       by giving multiple folder names as arguments.

If you do not specify a message, the current message is refiled.  You can refile a message other than the current  message  by  giving  its
       number  as  a msgs argument.  You can also refile more than one message at a time by specifying more than one message number, or a range of
       message numbers, or a message sequence.	See for more information on sequences.

The current folder remains the same unless the -src option is specified; in that case, the source folder becomes  current.   Normally,  the
       last message specified becomes the current message.  However, if the -link option is used, the current message is not changed.

If  the	Previous-Sequence:  entry is set in the file, in addition to defining the named sequences from the source folder, will also define
       those sequences for the destination folders.  See for information concerning the previous sequence.

Options
       -draft	 Refiles the draft message, or the current message in your folder, if you have one set up.  You cannot give a msgs  argument  when
		 you use this option.

-file filename
		 Moves	a  file into a folder.	This option takes a file from its directory and places it in the named folder, as the next message
		 in the folder.  The file must be formatted as a legal mail message.  This means that the message must	have  the  minimum  header
		 fields separated from the body of the message by a blank line or a line of dashes.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-link
       -nolink	 Keeps	a copy of the message in the source folder.  Normally, removes the messages from the original folder when it refiles them.
		 The -link option keeps a copy in the original folder, as well as filing a copy in the new folder.

-preserve
       -nopreserve
		 Preserves the number of a message in the new folder.  Normally, when a message is refiled in to another folder, it is set to  the
		 next  available number in that folder.  The -preserve option keeps the number of the message the same in the new folder as it had
		 been in the old.

You cannot have two messages with the same number in one folder, so you should use this option with care.

-src +folder
		 Specifies the source folder to take messages from.  Normally, messages are refiled from the current folder into  another  folder.
		 However, you can take messages from a different folder by using the -src +folder option to specify the alternative source folder.

Examples
       The following example refiles messages 3 and 5 in the folder
       % refile 3 5 +records

The next example files the current message into two folders:
       % refile +jones +map

The next example takes message 13 in the current folder and refiles it in the folder.  The message remains in the current folder as well as
       appearing in the folder.
       % refile -link 13 +test

The next example takes a message from the folder when it is not the current folder, and places it in the folder
       % refile 3 -src +test +outbox

Profile Components
       Path:		 To determine your Mail directory

Folder-Protect:	 To set protections when creating a new folder
       rmmproc: 	 Program to delete the message

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       folder(1mh), mark(1mh), mh_profile(5mh)

refile(1mh)