Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove spaces from start of file names Post 302678755 by Don Cragun on Sunday 29th of July 2012 06:57:49 PM
Old 07-29-2012
Install the following in your $HOME/bin directory as a filed named "namechange":
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
IFS=""
while read old
do
        new=${old##*([-0-9 ])}
        new=${new/\[*\]/}
        nds=${new%.dir}
        if [ "${nds}.dir" == "$new" ]
        then
                suf=.dir
        else
                suf=
        fi
        new=$(printf "%s\n" "$nds"|tr "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]")
        mv "$old" "$new$suf"
done

and make it executable. Then issue the commands:
Code:
cd directory
ls | $HOME/bin/namechange

where "directory" is the name of the directory containing the files you want to rename.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find capital letter names in a file without finding words at start of sentence

Hi, I want to be able to list all the names in a file which begin with a capital letter, but I don't want it to list words that begin a new sentence. Is there any way round this? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kev269
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File names with spaces? Is it possible?

Gurus - I got one simple TXT file with long file name with blank spaces in between the words. I am trying to display that full file name, but it breaks while displaying. Could somebody shed some light here? Script ------ for i in `cat ~\temp\employee.txt` do echo $i done (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eric_2005
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with spaces in file names in a shell script

Hi, What's the best way to find all files under a directory - including ones with space - in order to apply a command to each of them. For instance I want get a list of files under a directory and generate a checksum for each file. Here's the csh script: #!/bin/csh set files = `find $1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to use mimesender to send attachments with spaces in the file names / paths

Hello, I found the mimesender multiple attachment emailing shell script in the FAQ of these forums, and I have been able to use it to send multiple files, but only if they don't have spaces in their file name or path. When I attempt to send a file with spaces in it's name, enclosed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsmorra
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces between file names

Hi All, I have spaces in between file names. "Material Header.txt" "Customer Header.txt" "Vendor Header.txt" And how can I remove spaces between file names like below MaterialHeader.txt CustomerHeader.txt VendorHeader.txt Thanks Srimitta (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimitta
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening File names with spaces inside it !- PERL

I developed a perl code..And the excerpt from it is given below... open(HANDLE,$cmp_path) ; #reading the xml file from the file path while($file_path = <HANDLE>) I have list of XML files to read from a folder. It has some spaces inside the name of the file...I used "\"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to strip the spaces in file names?

please somebody tell me what is wrong with this, while the thumbnail grabbing works and encoding works, but what is not working is, mv $i.jpg /var/www/thumbs/ and mv $i.mp4 /var/www/uploads/ #!/bin/bash # MINT 9 - FFMPEG - QT-FASTSTART - X264 - MP4 DIR=/var/www/tmp for i in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mysoogal
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove spaces and lines that start with --

Is it possible to remove empty lines between >humid-sets (bold) and also humidset that start with -- (for ex: > humid3 | () : | (+) ) Thanx in advance Note: The humid sets will be in thousands and lines will be more than 100 thousand. input > humid1 | () : | (+)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
7 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Remove leading spaces from file names and folders

Hi All, I have a vexing issue with leading spaces in file names. Basically, we're moving tons of data from our ancient afp file share to Box.com and Box forbids leading spaces in files or folders. The HFS file system seems to be perfectly fine with this, but almost all other Unix file systems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding size of files with spaces in their file names

I am running a UNIX script to get unused files and their sizes from the server. The issue is arising due to the spaces present in the filename/folder names.Due to this the du -k command doesn't work properly.But I need to calculate the size of all files including the ones which have spaces in them.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: INNSAV1
4 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
       fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory

SYNOPSIS
       fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help]

fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the
       -path argument.

OPTIONS
       -path <dir/file path>+
	   Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the
	   current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted.

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

OUTPUT
       The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the
       specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume.

Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the
       cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command.

EXAMPLES
       The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and
       "fs3.abc.com":

% fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com
	  File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       None

SEE ALSO
       fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							     FS_WHEREIS(1)