Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dd cloning of whole disk
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu dd cloning of whole disk Post 302678217 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of July 2012 12:31:24 PM
Old 07-27-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist
Thanks for your opinion.
I use GNU dd quite often, and sadly think this is more than opinion. Nothing went wrong, you just got impatient. Copying a terabyte of data can take ages, even when you're getting ideal transfer rates(which you often don't).

It may also have gotten hung up for some reason, though that seems unlikely. dd will print error messages if you start getting read or write errors.
Quote:
The 'dd' results were returned although I didn't record the number of bytes copied
Yes, it prints statistics whenever it quits for any reason. That doesn't mean it finished.
Quote:
However, the process was clearly marked as 'sleeping' and I took that to mean that it was complete.
All dd has to do is while(!eof) { read(buffer); write(buffer); }. That's a whole lot of transfer for very few instructions, so 99% of the time is spent asleep waiting for the disk to catch up. Most processes spend 99% of their time asleep, waiting for I/O.

Last edited by Corona688; 07-27-2012 at 01:40 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Disk cloning

Hello everybody, :confused: I have to change the system disk on an old PC running SCO 5.0.5. The disk is up and running, this is a preventive action. My experience on UNIX is very limited and I look for the easyest solution to clone this unit. Is it possible with commands or through a clone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhachez
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Hpux Disk Cloning

hello, Anybody that has already running script or command that can disk clone the hpux machine thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk cloning using ufsrestore

I am using ufsdump and ufsrestore to clone the root disk on one of my servers. I would like to automate this as much as possible, but have run into a problem where it prompts for changing the owner/mode when it is complete. Any ideas for running this in the background and not being prompted? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patricko0317
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

cloning a server

I wish to clone a RedHat EL5 server. What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wazzu62
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem by cloning boot disk.

Hello guys! I use the Solaris 10 x86 machine. I need to clone the boot disk. Why, when I copy slice 1 - there is a following: # ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c0d0s1 | (cd /mnt && ufsrestore rf - ) DUMP: Warning - super-block on device `/dev/rdsk/c0d01` is corrupt - run fsck Dump: The Entire... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
6 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Automated disk cloning

Hi, I'm running Ubuntu on my laptop. To keep my data safe and easy disaster recovery as well I bought similar HDD to one installed in my laptop with higher capacity and using USB box I'm doing disk clone to it. So at any time I can replace disk and carry on with my work as before. I'm trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uvaio
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cloning

Hi, Is there disadvantages if we do AIX Serevr cloning to the new AIX server. Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

HP-UX server cloning

Hello Friends, Am in requirement to clone a Live HP-UX server here's details OS: HpUX B-11.11 with mirrored LVM disks . S/ws: Remedy, XML engine, Annoysystem, Oracle All Oracle, XMl and Remedy data is on SAM LUN which is used for clustering . My requirement to create a clone server and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
10 Replies

9. Linux

Disk cloning ?

Dear All I needed to clone my disk to another hard drive . I did it as the following : #dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdc But after a while, the procedure ended with the "writing to /dev/sdc input/output error" message. Can you please let me know how can I overcome this as the fdisk now returns as "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
1 Replies
CFDISK(8)							 GNU fdisk Manual							 CFDISK(8)

NAME
GNU fdisk, lfdisk, gfdisk - manipulate partition tables on a hard drive SYNOPSIS
fdisk [options] [device] DESCRIPTION
fdisk is a disk partition manipulation program, which allows you to create, destroy, resize, move and copy partitions on a hard drive using a menu-driven interface. It is useful for organising the disk space on a new drive, reorganising an old drive, creating space for new oper- ating systems, and copying data to new hard disks. For a list of the supported partition types, see the --list-partition-types option below. It comes in two variants, gfdisk and lfdisk. Lfdisk aims to resemble Linux fdisk 2.12, while gfdisk supports more advanced disk operations, like resizing the filesystem, moving and copying partitions. When starting fdisk, the default is to run gfdisk. OPTIONS
-h, --help displays a help message. -v, --version displays the program's version. -L, --linux-fdisk turns on Linux fdisk compatibility mode. This is the same as running lfdisk. -G, --gnu-fdisk turns off Linux fdisk compatibility mode. -i, --interactive where necessary, prompts for user intervention. -p, --script never prompts for user intervention. -l, --list lists the partition table on the specified device and exits. If there is no device specified, lists the partition tables on all detected devices. -r, --raw-list displays a hex dump of the partition table of the disk, similar to the way Linux fdisk displays the raw data in the partition table. -u, --sector-units use sectors, instead of cylinders for a default unit. -s, --size=DEVICE prints the size of the partition on DEVICE is printed on the standard output. -t, --list-partition-types displays a list of supported partition types and features. The following options are available only to lfdisk. -b, --sector-size=SIZE Specify the sector size of the disk. Valid values are 512, 1024 and 2048. Should be used only on older kernels, which don't guess the correct sector size. -C, --cylinders=CYLINDERS Specify the number of cylinders of the disk. Currently does nothing, it is left for Linux fdisk compatibility. -H, --heads=HEADS Specify the number of heads of the disk. Reasonable values are 255 or 16. -S, --sectors=SECTORS Specify the number of sectors per track. A reasonable value is 63. BUGS
Before editing a BSD disklabel, the partition with the disklabel should already exist on the disk and be detected by the OS. If you have created a BSD-type partition, you need to write the changes to the disk. If fdisk fails to notify the OS about the changes in partition ta- ble, you need to restart your computer. As fdisk tries to guess the device holding the BSD disklabel, it might fail to edit it at all, even if the OS has detected it. In this case you are adviced to simply open the device with fdisk directly. It is possible that it doesn't work on some operating systems. Getting the size of a partition with -s might fail, if fdisk fails to guess the disk device, for the same reasons as with the previous bug. SEE ALSO
mkfs(8), cfdisk(8), parted(8) The fdisk program is fully documented in the info(1) format GNU fdisk User Manual manual. fdisk 18 August, 2006 CFDISK(8)