Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Upgrade to Lion (Version 10.7.3) for MacBook Air Post 302678111 by gull04 on Friday 27th of July 2012 09:02:35 AM
Old 07-27-2012
Hi Guy's,

I've been considering the upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion, but will probably wait just a little while longer. I have a (Sept 2010) MacBook Pro, it has been an excellent machine - I also have a 21" iMac and a standard MacBook all of which perform.

The issue that I have is that on the MacBook Pro I run Virtual Box and Solaris 11 among others, as does one of the guys that I work with. He has recently come across an interesting feature - which we have not been able to resolve so far.

Once he upgraded to Lion and when running the Solaris Virtual Machine, if he left the Macbook and it went into hibernate the following happened.

1 The MacBook got very hot.
2 If the power cube was plugged in it became too hot to touch.
3 When you eventually got onto the Virtual machine typing was near impossible due to repeating keys.
4 When you could have a look around - the 15 min Load Average on the Solaris Virtual M/C could be well up into the 2000's.

I'm guessing that this is actually a Virtual Box problem, just high lighted by Lion. We are going to go to Mountain Lion on his machine, to see if that resolves the problem.

I have been in touch with Oracle as the latest version of VBox was used as was a downloaded virtual machine from them. I'll keep people posted if there are any changes.

I do like the look of Mountain Lion, really getting towards what Sun's Project Looking Glass was all about - just you don't need an enterprise class server to run it!

Regards

Dave

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. What is on Your Mind?

MacBook Air Anyone?

I am thinking to purchase a new MacBook Air, 13 inch. Anyone have a MacBook Air? What do you think about it? Seems expensive, a bit. Is it worth it? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
9 Replies
JSVC(1) 						   Apache Commons Daemon project						   JSVC(1)

NAME
jsvc - application to launch java daemon SYNOPSIS
jsvc [-jvm JVM name] [-client client JVM] [-server server JVM] [-classpath path] [-cp path] [-java-home directory] [-version] [-help] [-?] [-nodetach] [-debug] [-check] [-user user] [-wait waittime] [-umask mask] [-stop] [-verbose:class|gc|jni] [-outfile /full/path/to/file] [-errfile /full/path/to/file] [-pidfile /full/path/to/file] [-Dproperty=value] [-Xoption] DESCRIPTION
jsvc executes classfile that implements a Daemon interface. OPTIONS
-jvm JVM name use a specific Java Virtual Machine. -client client JVM use a client Java Virtual Machine. -server server JVM use a server Java Virtual Machine. -cp/ -classpath directory and zip/jar files set search path for service classes and resouces -java-home directory set the path of your JDK or JRE installation (or set the JAVA_HOME environment variable) -version show the current Java environment version (to check correctness of -home and -jvm. Implies -nodetach) -help show this help page (implies -nodetach) -nodetach don't detach from parent process and become a daemon -debug verbosely print debugging information -check only check service (implies -nodetach) -stop stop the service using the file given in the -pidfile option -wait waittime wait up to waittime seconds for the service to start waittime should multiple of 10 (min=10) -umask mask sets the file mode creation mask -user user user used to run the daemon (defaults to current user) -verbose[:class|gc|jni] enable verbose output -outfile /full/path/to/file Location for output from stdout (defaults to /dev/null). Use the value '&2' to simulate '1>&2', or 'SYSLOG' to send output to the system log. -errfile /full/path/to/file Location for output from stderr (defaults to /dev/null). Use the value '&1' to simulate '2>&1', or 'SYSLOG' to send output to the system log. -pidfile /full/path/to/file Location for output from the file containing the pid of jsvc (defaults to /var/run/jsvc.pid) -D<name>=<value> set a Java system property -X<option> set Virtual Machine specific option AUTHOR
JSVC is part of the Apache Commons Daemon project. Authors are Jean-Frederic Clere, Remy Maucherat, Yoav Shapira, Bill Barker, Mladen Turk. JSVC is released under the Apache License Version 2.0. Jsvc version 1.0.6 08/17/2012 JSVC(1)