Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echoing complex awk command into file fails Post 302677857 by Scottie1954 on Thursday 26th of July 2012 06:45:44 PM
Old 07-26-2012
usr/bin/sh on hp-ux.

The '\\n' worked. Thanks for the answer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Homework & Coursework Questions

Loosing formatting when echoing an awk script

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: When I echo out the output of my awk script I loose the formatting that I set in my awk script (it should be in a table format). 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: 3. The attempts at a solution (include all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROFL
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a complex file using awk

I have a file that contains the following format delete from table1; delete from table2; insert into table1 (col1, col2) values (value1, value2)@ insert into table1 (col1, col2) values(value3, value4)@ insert into table2(col1, col2,col3) values(value1, value2, value3)@ etc etc This is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hukcjv
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting complex file with awk

i have a file ddd.txt its delimiter is : but has , and "" within each column as below and also each line ends with ; I_EP,"29":I_US,"120":I_P_ID,"2020":I_NEW,"600":I_OLD,"400":I_POW,"4.5":I_NAME,"TOM";... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackzinga80
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echoing date command into file

I want to echo into file1 echo & date commands, which in turn will be echoed into file2 string and the current date. So when I'll run file1 it will echo into file2 the commands 'echo' & 'date' My problem is that the date command turns into the actual date value. Example:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liav
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echoing command results

Sorry folks, Second time today. I am working on a script that accepts data via pipe and processes it. I expect it to work as: # command | ProcScript.sh Within ProcScript.sh, I want to be able to give the target of the prev run command I am using history 2 | grep -v history | awk... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check one command and if it fails moves to other command

Input is list of Server's, script is basically to remove old_rootvg, So it should check first command "alt_rootvg_op -X old_rootvg" if it passes move to next server and starts check and if it fails moves to other command "exportvg old_rootvg" for only that particular server. I came up with below,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command for complex search and print

Input: 9999~cbc~100~209~ozzxczcz~10001001001~100~abc10 123~a~sdklfjl~sldoi~~~ksjdfnkjsdf~123456 125~g~sdklfjl~slsdfsdfsdfsdfdoi~~~~~~~~ksjdfnkjsdf~345 127~wera~sdklfjl~sldoi~~~ksjdfnkjsdf~123 128~awer~swerwerdklfjl~sldoi~~~ksjdfnkjsf~1da2345... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
7 Replies

10. Programming

How to replace the complex strings from a file using sed or awk?

Dear All, I am having a requirement to find the difference between 2 files and generate a discrepancy report out of it as an html page. I prefer using diff -y file1 file2 since it gives user friendly layout to know any discrepancy in the record and unique records among the 2 file. Here's how it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Badhrish
12 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)