Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find Gzip rename and mv
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Find Gzip rename and mv Post 302677573 by RudiC on Thursday 26th of July 2012 10:31:43 AM
Old 07-26-2012
Looks like you try moving the original file {}, which was deleted by gzip, not the renamed one
{}_`date +%F`.gz ...

Code:
-exec mv {}.gz {}_`date +%F`.gz \; -exec mv {} /home/charli/Desktop/test/gzipped/

Why don't you move in one go :
Code:
-exec mv {}.gz /home/charli/Desktop/test/gzipped/{}_`date +%F`.gz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining find, grep and gzip

I'm trying to see which files have a particular word in them. The files are all text files but are gzipped and are in sub directories. In order to view the content of a single gzipped file I tried: cat filename | gzip -d | less , and it shows the files contents. But, I want to see a list... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thoughts
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and Rename files using (find mv and sed)

In response to a closed thread for degraff63 at https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/108882-using-mv-find-exec.html the following command might do it as some shells spit it without the "exec bash -c " part: Find . -name "*.model" -exec bash -c "mv {} \`echo {} | sed -e 's//_/g'\`"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupert160
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gzip vs pipe gzip: produce different file size

Hi All, I have a random test file: test.txt, size: 146 $ ll test.txt $ 146 test.txt Take 1: $ cat test.txt | gzip > test.txt.gz $ ll test.txt.gz $ 124 test.txt.gz Take 2: $ gzip test.txt $ ll test.txt.gz $ 133 test.txt.gz As you can see, gzipping a file and piping into gzip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanfresco
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How to find out bottleneck if system is taking long time in gzip

Dear All, OS = Solaris 5.10 Hardware Sun Fire T2000 with 1 Ghz quode core We have oracle application 11i with 10g database. When ever i am trying to take cold backup of database with 55GB size its taking long time to finish. As the application is down nobody is using the server at all... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoojamu
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find + tar + gzip + uunecode/email --> in one command?

How to search for all files with matching strings --> find + tar + gzip + uunecode/email them in one command? I am sure there is a right way to pass list of files to tar, then compress tar file. Then send that as attachment using uuencode in one command.. Can we do that!? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Failed to use find-tar-gzip together

Hello I am trying to select multiple files older than 14 days and create a single compressed file out of it. (AIX Release 3 Version 5) I am trying to achieve it by following tar -cvf db01_log.tar `find . -name "db01*.log" -mtime +14" -print`| gzip > db01_log.tar however it just... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Some help with a find/fuser/gzip crontab job

Hello, I am trying to write a housekeeping that finds all .trc files older than x days in a given FS, checks if they are used and gzips them if they are not used by any process. I need to do it without calling any additional .sh script. I managed to make it work for Linux only: find .... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Valkov
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is better way copy list of multiple files, rename and gzip

Is better way to write the script loop through one by one "Old_File_1: & New_File_1:" to copy 100 files to /staging/test folder then re-name & gzip all those files? I wrote this code below and don't like that much. Thanks I have a control_file under /tmp/test folder like below 100 files and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need help ASAP - FIND - TAR - GZIP

Hi, I need to combined in 1 line the execution below : find * -type f -mtime -$nb_days -print | xargs tar -cvf $MAITUT/BCK_DATA.tar gzip $MAITUT/BCK_DATA.tar.gz The fact that the TAR is very big, at the end I need to generate only the GZ file. The option z on the tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royinfo.alain
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Hpux find tar gzip

Hello, I will like to execute a find, tar & gzip in one command. find * -type f -mtime -$nb_days -print | xargs tar -cvf $MAITUT/BCK_DATA.tar gzip $MAITUT/BCK_DATA.tar.gz The fact that the TAR is very big, at the end I need to generate only a compress file. Please note... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: royinfo.alain
22 Replies
ns_zlib(3aolserver)					     AOLserver Zlib Extension					       ns_zlib(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_zlib - Zlib compression support SYNOPSIS
ns_zlib compress string ns_zlib gunzip file ns_zlib gzip string ns_zlib gzipfile file ns_zlib uncompress string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The ns_zlib command enables compressing and uncompressing of strings or files. The command is available if the nszlib.so module is loaded into AOLserver or the libnszlib.so, nszlib.dll, or libnszlib.dylib dynamic library is loaded using the load command in a suitable tclsh such as nstclsh. ns_zlib compress string This command compresses the given string and returns a Tcl byte array object with the compressed data. ns_zlib gunzip file This command uncompresses the contents of the given gzipped file and returns a string as the result. ns_zlib gzipfile file This command is similar to the gzip shell routines, compressing the given file into a new file with the .gz extension. If success- ful, the original uncompressed file is deleted. ns_zlib uncompress bytearray This command takes a byte array object which includes compressed data and returns an uncompressed string object. EXAMPLES
The following examples demonstrate compressing and uncompressing a string; # Compress Tcl string set test "This is test string" set data [ns_zlib compress $test] set test [ns_zlib uncompress $data] --> returns "This is test string" # Compress the string into gzip format set gzip [ns_zlib gzip $test] # Save as gzip file set fd [open /tmp/test.gz w] fconfigure $fd -translation binary -encoding binary puts -nonewline $fd $gzip close $fd # Uncompress gzipped file set test [ns_zlib gunzip /tmp/test.gz] --> returns "This is test string" SEE ALSO
ns_adp_ctl(n), load(n) KEYWORDS
GZIP, compress, uncompress AOLserver 4.5 ns_zlib(3aolserver)