Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: is there a backup running
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers is there a backup running Post 302675473 by frappa on Monday 23rd of July 2012 06:01:25 AM
Old 07-23-2012
ok, it seems that the previous guy was backing up with cpio directly to a tape device.

You may find infos about the execution and outcomes of the backup with ps -eaf (and looking for the presence of commands related to 'find' or 'cpio', and looking at logs in /var/log/messages or /var/log/cron.

In order to have info about how to manage cpio tape backups, have a look at:
Solaris UNIX Tape Backup And Recovery With tar And cpio Commands
the part showing cpio usage.

tell us how you-re doing
see ya
fra

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to prevent job1 from running while job2 is running..

Hi, Please I need your expert advise on how to prevent/lock from execution job1 while job2 is still running in Unix... THanks:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tikang
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

3. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Running from Shell Vs running from RC script

Hi, i have a script which need to do behave differently when run as a startup process from init.d/ rc2.d script and when run manually from shell. How do i distinguish whether my script is run by init process or by shell?? Will the command /proc/$$/psinfo | grep "myscript" work well???... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

backup a file and keep every version of the backup

I am trying to backup my .bash_history and I want to keep every version of the backup. I am thinking to put one of these in my crontab. 0 0 * * 0,3 cat .bash_history > boo 0 0 * * 0,3 cp .bash_history boo I would like the backups to be called boo1, boo2, boo3, etc. I would like to keep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup script / Test if script is already running

Hello everyone, I have 2 questions : 1) I have a backup shell script, let's call it backup.sh, that is called every hour as a cron job. As a matter of fact a backup could last more than one hour. It mounts a NAS and then do some rsync on important directories, so really I don't want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie50
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON JOB not running - for tape backup from root user

I am trying a cron on root user to backup to tape using TAR command here is the cron entry 11 08 * * 6 /erdhot1cron 2>&1 >> /test3/scripts/dba/erdhot1cron.log here is script inside - edhot1cron #!/bin/bash vsysdt=`date +%d%m%y` date tar -cvf /dev/st0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaymec50
4 Replies
cpio.h(3HEAD)							      Headers							     cpio.h(3HEAD)

NAME
cpio.h, cpio - cpio archive values SYNOPSIS
#include <cpio.h> DESCRIPTION
Values needed by the c_mode field of the cpio archive format are described as follows: Name Description ----------------------------------------------------------- C_IRUSR Read by owner C_IWUSR Write by owner C_IXUSR Execute by owner C_IRGRP Read by group C_IWGRP Write by group C_IXGRP Execute by group C_IROTH Read by others C_IWOTH Write by others C_IXOTH Execute by others C_ISUID Set user ID C_ISGID Set group ID C_ISVTX On directories, restricted deletion flag C_ISDIR Directory C_ISFIFO FIFO C_ISREG Regular file C_ISBLK Block special C_ISCHR Character special C_ISCTG Reserved C_ISLNK Symbolic link C_ISSOCK Socket The header defines the symbolic constant: MAGIC "070707" ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pax(1), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 10 Sep 2004 cpio.h(3HEAD)