Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to output a line missing a number Post 302675305 by shadowkraze on Sunday 22nd of July 2012 09:29:54 PM
Old 07-22-2012
Script to output a line missing a number

Ok, Lets see if I can explain this

We have a script that pulls information from multiple files and outputs it, however I only need 2 Columns (of 11) from it

right now I run the script like this:

tkxtrn | awk '{print $5" "" "$9}'

This gives me column 5 and 9, the only two I care for

What I end up having to do is cat that into a file and pg through 60+ pages or I can pipe a pg to that... to find my (missing) information

the output is similar to this

10-12-5 92
54-23-4
142-1-4 91
1-423-2 35
6-8-454
45-68-4 91
6-99-84 95

only 400+ times.

The issue is, I'm looking for that blank, and there is usually only 1 or 2 missing information in the second(9) column but there are also page breaks of 2-3 blank lines. It always has a 2 digit number, or it is blank.

What I'm wanting is it to say

"searching for missing LD...."
and then output the missing only
54-23-
6-8-454

Hopefully I explained well enough

Last edited by shadowkraze; 07-22-2012 at 10:35 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert output into file at line number

I need to insert the output of a script into a specific line number of a txt file. I've read the Sed man page and searched the forums and it's not immediately clear how I would go about doing this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pluto7777
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to grep a number from output line

I`m having a output shown below, CFR 235,BBC DM-2 ALL CFR 111,BBC DM-2 ALL CFR 333,BBC DM-2 ALL from the above Output i want to use 235,111,333 as input for other purpose. these no always change every time i run script.so please suggest me the way i could do it with example,i have tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin_aaa27
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

join based on line number when one file is missing lines

I have a file that contains 87 lines, each with a set of coordinates (x & y). This file looks like: 1 200.3 -0.3 2 201.7 -0.32 ... 87 200.2 -0.314 I have another file which contains data that was taken at certain of these 87 positions. i.e.: 37 125 42 175 86 142 where the first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackiev
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i find the first number in each line and insert dummy string into the missing columns?

Hi, I have one input file with the following content: MY_inpfile.txt Aname1 Cname1 Cname2 1808 5 Aname2 Cname1 1802 47 Bname1 ? 1819 22 Bname2 Cname1 1784 11 Bname3 1817 9 Zname1 Cname1 1805 59 Zname2 Cname1 Cname2 Cname3 1797 27 Every line in my input file have a 4 digit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Szaffy
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : print the sequence number without missing number

Dear Perl users, I need your help to solve my problem below. I want to print the sequence number without missing number within the range. E.g. my sequence number : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11 12 13 14 my desired output: 1 -8 , 11-14 my code below but still problem with the result: 1 - 14 1 -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandai
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incorrect number of command line arguments and missing required files

I am developing a script. This script takes in one parameter which is the name of a file whose content is a list of names of some files. The script can check whether those files exist in current directory. Here is my question: If the number of provided parameters is less than one or one of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ray Sun
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print line number from piped output

i need to do something like this: script.sh #!/bin/sh echo "hello" echo "My First name is John" echo "My Last name is Smith" echo "I am here to save you a lot of work" sed -n 4,5p $0 i dont want to run the script. i just want to pull out specific line from it. so the logic here... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Insert the line number from text file to filename output

Hi everyone :) I have a file "words.txt" containing hundreds of lines of text. Each line contains a slogan. Using the code below i am able to generate an image with the slogan text from each line. The image filename is saved matching the last word on each line. Example: Line 1: We do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do we display specific row of an output from bottom given line number?

I pass a number to my script. Passing "1" below. ./getfile.sh 1 echo "User entered: $1" ls -ltr *.conf | sed -n '$p' I wish to use ls -ltr i.e list files in ascending order of time the latest showing at the bottom of the output. Number 1 should get me the last row of ls -ltr output i.e... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
TOTAL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  TOTAL(1)

NAME
total - sum up columns SYNOPSIS
total [ -m ][ -sE | -p | -u | -l ][ -i{f|d}[N] ][ -o{f|d} ][ -tC ][ -N [ -r ]] [ file .. ] DESCRIPTION
Total sums up columns of real numbers from one or more files and prints out the result on its standard output. By default, total computes the straigt sum of each input column, but multiplication can be specified instead with the -p option. Likewise, the -u option means find the upper limit (maximum), and -l means find the lower limit (minimum). Sums of powers can be computed by giving an exponent with the -s option. (Note that there is no space between the -s and the exponent.) This exponent can be any real number, positive or negative. The absolute value of the input is always taken before the power is computed in order to avoid complex results. Thus, -s1 will produce a sum of absolute values. The default power (zero) is interpreted as a straight sum without taking absolute values. The -m option can be used to compute the mean rather than the total. For sums, the arithmetic mean is computed. For products, the geomet- ric mean is computed. (A logarithmic sum of absolute values is used to avoid overflow, and zero values are silently ignored.) If the input data is binary, the -id or -if option may be given for 64-bit double or 32-bit float values, respectively. Either option may be followed immediately by an optional count, which defaults to 1, indicating the number of double or float binary values to read per record on the input file. (There can be no space between the option and this count.) Similarly, the -od and -of options specify binary double or float output, respectively. These options do not need a count, as this will be determined by the number of input channels. A count can be given as the number of lines to read before computing a result. Normally, total reads each file to its end before producing its result, but this behavior may be overridden by inserting blank lines in the input. For each blank input line, total produces a result as if the end-of-file had been reached. If two blank lines immediately follow each other, total closes the file and proceeds to the next one (after reporting the result). The -N option (where N is a decimal integer) tells total to produce a result and reset the calculation after every N input lines. In addition, the -r option can be specified to override reinitialization and thus give a running total every N lines (or every blank line). If the end of file is reached, the current total is printed and the calculation is reset before the next file (with or without the -r option). The -tC option can be used to specify the input and output tab character. The default tab character is TAB. If no files are given, the standard input is read. EXAMPLE
To compute the RMS value of colon-separated columns in a file: total -t: -m -s2 input To produce a running product of values from a file: total -p -1 -r input BUGS
If the input files have varying numbers of columns, mean values will certainly be off. Total will ignore missing column entries if the tab separator is a non-white character, but cannot tell where a missing column should have been if the tab character is white. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1) RADIANCE
2/3/95 TOTAL(1)