Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to update an entry of another file in a Shell script? Post 302675195 by isaacniu on Sunday 22nd of July 2012 06:34:56 AM
Old 07-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by elixir_sinari
Like this?
Code:
name="Michael"
pass="newpassword"
sed '/^\('"$name"': \).*/s//\1'"$pass"'/' users.passwords > temp
mv temp users.passwords

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - that works fine.. Just one more question, if the entry in my file is like below,

Code:
export David=???
export Michael=password
export Frank=???

and I would wish to transform it to be like
Code:
export David=???
export Michael=new_password
export Frank=???

then how should I modify that sentence? Sorry I'm new to sed

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help shell script to loop through files update ctl file to be sql loaded

I am currently trying to find a way to loop through files in a given directory and for each file modify a ctl file and sql load it. I have been using the sed command to change the infile, badfile parameters of the control file. I have not yet tried to sql load it. Requirement: files are ftp to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba_nh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to edit file and delete entry

Can anyone provide me a shell script to edit a xml file and delete one entry. To do manually i can edit(vi editor) the file and 'dd' will delete the file.But I wiluld to know if I can do with a script. Thanks in advance Tannu (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

update file contents using shell script

Hi, I am having a file which contains as below Names(aaaa ,bbbb ,cccc ,dddd) now i want the file to be updated with new value 'eeee' as below Names(aaaa ,bbbb ,cccc ,dddd ,eeee) Is there a way to script this ? Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drams
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

update records in a file using shell script...

Hi, I have a file with 6 columns. First 3 columns together make unique record. I have a variable ($v) which hold a value that is obtained by a caliculaion. I have to replace value in 5th columnn with the value of the variable ($v). The value $v is caliculated from col4 and col6 values. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to update Property Entry Values

Hi All, I'm Raghavendra. I have a very urgent requirement to develop a Shell Script which will allow to use variables in a property file as demonstarted below var1=UNIX var2=LINUX var3=WINDOWS var4=$var1,$var2 var5=$var3 Could you please help me to develop a shell script which can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavstunner
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Update DB table from txt file using CRONJOB in Unix Shell Script

Hi Experts, can guide how we can Update a Database Table using a txt file source Using Unix Shell Scripts. What are the Cron Jobs codes can written to Update DB table. txt file contains record like data. US 09/03/2012 User DocType DocID. these above feilds in txt files need to be updated in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahesh.sap
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read from a file and update remote server

Its a tough one and would appreciate any guidance for a script that i am trying to develop....Again I do understand its a complicated script and help would be greatly appreciated.... Thank you 1- Need to check for a file (in a certain location on a server) every 15 minute or so if it is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavam
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to update zone file

Hi folks, I have zone files at below path i want to modify their name i don't know how to do it, Can some can suggest some kind line technique. I give you detail I have domain ibphello.com host at ip address 10.2.2.1 and 50 plus domain are there /var/named/*.db. If i want to change... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update config file using shell script in Solaris 5.10

hi I need to update the value in config.txt value using shell script example: lets say a value in config.txt file is as SEQUENCE=1 after some iteration as the loop ends , the SEQUENCE should get update in the config.txt file with a new value of SEQUENCE=2. also , can anyone please help me... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravidwivedi2288
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find if any new entry in directory

I require a shell script to find if any new entry of dump files present in a particular directory and to send an email if any new entry exists.I had a crontab to run the script for every 5 min. Below are the file names.dump.20150327.152407.12058630.0002.phd.gz... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
9 Replies
ADSL-SETUP(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     ADSL-SETUP(8)

NAME
adsl-setup - Shell script to configure Roaring Penguin PPPoE client SYNOPSIS
adsl-setup DESCRIPTION
adsl-setup is a shell script which prompts you for various pieces of information and sets up an /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 configuration script for the adsl-start, adsl-stop and adsl-connect scripts. AUTHOR
adsl-setup was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The pppoe home page is http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/. SEE ALSO
pppoe(8), adsl-start(8), adsl-stop(8), adsl-connect(8), pppd(8), pppoe.conf(5), adsl-status(8), pppoe-sniff(8), pppoe-relay(8), pppoe- server(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution 21 February 2000 ADSL-SETUP(8)