Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tar creating copies of files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tar creating copies of files Post 302673763 by jrymer on Wednesday 18th of July 2012 11:01:38 AM
Old 07-18-2012
Tar creating copies of files

I am trying to archive directories based on their last modified date. When I tar and compress the directory it makes copies of whats inside, I don't know how to fix this.

Here is my code.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#AUTODRUNDISABLE
VERSION="0.2"

cd /desired/directory/to/archive
find . -type d -newermt 2012-06-01 ! -newermt 2012-06-30 | tar -zcvf tar.tar.gz

I made a test directory because the actual directories I will be working with are massive and so to same time in compression I created /test/sub_dir/test.txt.

When I run my script this is what it compresses.
./test/
./test/sub_dir/
./test/sub_dir/test.txt
./test/sub_dir/
./test/sub_dir/test.txt

Why am I getting copies?

Also I'm on Ubuntu 12.04

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract tar files without creating directory

I received a tar file of a directory with 50,000 files in it. Is it possible to extract the files in the tar file without first creating the directory? ie. Doing tar -xvf filename.tar extracts as follows: x directory/file1.txt x directory/file2.txt . . . I would like to avoid... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: here2learn
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating tar excluding links

hi, How do i create a tar file of a directory excluding the links in that particular directory and its sub-directories. The below command doesnt work for me. tar -cvf abc.tar /dir1 --exclude"^l" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yesmani
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Terminal.app keeps creating copies of my settings files

Under Leopard, I like to conveniently open Terminal windows onto remote systems. I've created several settings files in Terminal, one for each remote system that I want to access. To open window, I right-click on the Terminal icon in the Dock, expand the "New Window" menu item, and select the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siemsen
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a Tar file while files are spooling

Hi I have done a search for this but couldn't find much on it. I am creating a tar file with the command below tar cvf /export/home/user/backup/*Will this is being created I have a job spooling to 5 texts files in the following directory /export/home/user/backup/STATS/ The tar files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgarvan
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to extract files from a tar file without creating the directories?

Hello all. I have a tar file that contains a number of files that are stored in different directories. If I extract this tar file with -xvf , the directories get created. Is there a way to extract all of the files into one directory without creating the directories stored in the tar file. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkb
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a TAR

Hello , I have a unix script to create a TAR which is invoked from Mainframe job. #!/bin/ksh echo "Start Time : " $(date +%m-%d.%H.%M.%S) echo "*************************" tdate=$(date +_%m%d_%H%M%S) cmdfil="/usr/lpp/web-data/mfg/nct/file-data/ftpcmd.dat"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gayathrivm
6 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

[SOLVED] Creating .tar file

Hi, How to create a .tar file in windows OS.. I need to ftp tat <filename>.tar file into AIX and untar it there and will use for futher actions.. Please help.. Thanks in advance.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding copies of files

theres a situation i'm dealing with where i feel like folks are stealing some of my files. they copy it (because they have complete sudo root access like i do) from my home directory and they copy it wherever and then change the name of the file so i wont know that they have it. is there a way... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
gtkhtml-editor-test(1)						   User Commands					    gtkhtml-editor-test(1)

NAME
gtkhtml-editor-test - A simple html editor for libgtkhtml. SYNOPSIS
gtkhtml-editor-test DESCRIPTION
gtkhtml-editor-test is a light-weight html editor for testing libgtkhtml-editor(3). It contains all the features that libgtkhtml-editor provides. It can be used to create a message in plaintext or HTML format. These features are used by the evolution(1). application. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWevolution-libs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
evolution(1), libgtkhtml-editor(3), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 28 Jul 2008 gtkhtml-editor-test(1)