Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Unix Script -- To Skip killing a specific process Post 302673533 by sam05121988 on Wednesday 18th of July 2012 04:45:38 AM
Old 07-18-2012
kill -9 kills a process abruptly
to cleanly kill a process kill -15 is used.

the difference between the two is,
kill -9 murders the process [doesn't care if it has any unfinished job], whereas
kill -15 requests the process to die hence, the process can finish it's unfinished jobs and die peacefulle [RIP Smilie]

you can google more about kill signals

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing process using a script

can I do ps -ef | grep <process_name> and kill the process is it exists? and send a mail to me that the process was found and killed Thanks much... KS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
4 Replies

2. AIX

killing a process from a script

Hey all. I'm brand new to this forum and am looking for some help. I have a script that verifies that the backup tapes are working correctly. Basically is uses 1 command: restore -xpqvf > rootvglog I use this for each volume group that we have. We run this everyday but the problem is, we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

While killing the process, Script gets hanged. Please help me on this.

Hi Everyone, I have written a script to automate the docbase cleanup process on every weekly basis. That is in this script i have to shutdown the docbase and then kill all the process that are hanged except one process(epic process) and need to delete some log files and then i have to start the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheethal
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing specific process

Hello, I need to create a process that will kill a specific process if it's running. Let's just say the process is called win, actually called something else. It could be running multiple times on the machine and I would want to kill them all. Below is the code I have written so far, and it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not killing process!

i am using script to connect remotly to server and run some commands , one of these commands is to kill some process but tried different ways with no hope sshpass -p 'pass' ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no server kill -9 `pgrep procs` getting error message "kill: bad argument count" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogabr
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a process within 5 min it starts in Unix using perl

Hi All, I have to kill a program whose pid, i will be getting. Multiple processes will be getting started by my script of same kind in a series. So for after each call to a process i need to write a command or script which can kill the process if it takes more than 5min. In this i will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishank.jain
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

**need help for killing a process through script**

Hello All, i hope you are fine. I need a little help from you people-- inside a script i want to kill a parent process by checking it with the child process.. p_pid=`ps -e | awk '/ra_cmd_d/ {print$1}'` here i am selecting the child process id in p_pid. next-- sleep_pid=`ps -af |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyniladri
3 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Unix pkill error; does wily obstruct me killing the process?

have two scripts on Unix; one that starts some processes and the other one for killing a process. At first, I ran the .sh without WILY in it and it worked perfectly; in this way, I could also ran my stopper process. However I need WILY in this so I added it to my script but this time, a message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nerdogan551
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated Script for Process killing

Hello all, I'm in need of a Script which needs to wait for all the child process to end and then kill the main process. I have a process called mainpp which runs for different instances like evpn, nge, gmn etc so when i query for mainpp process it looks like below. bash-3.2$ ps -eaf |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahesh_RPM
6 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)