Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change default shell of a specific user with awk Post 302673521 by zaxxon on Wednesday 18th of July 2012 04:28:07 AM
Old 07-18-2012
There is no sanity check on the input. You could get a shell that doesn't exist into your passwd. Or is that checked before? Why not use the system commands?

Anyway, a shorter way you can try out:
Code:
awk -F":" -v user_name="$user_name" -v new_shell="$new_shell" -F: '$1 == user_name { $7=new_shell; print };' OFS=":" passwd

Last edited by zaxxon; 07-18-2012 at 05:33 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change user in a shell

Hi, is it possible to chnage the user in a shell script? i would like to create a script with should make some actions on the host which needs root permissions. i want do give the user which should start the script the root permissions. so is it possible to make a command in the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scottl
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i change to super user then revert back to ordinary user ,using shell script?

Hi all, I am trying to eject the cdrom from a livecd after certain stage... Now assuming that it is possible to eject,please consider my issue!!! The OS boots into a regular user by default...so i am unable to use the eject command to push out the drive... However if i try pfexec eject it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change Default Shell for any user?

Hi, I am new for solaris... how can we change default shell for any user and how to check that which shall currently we are in...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lalit21984
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a number on a specific lines in a file with shell?

Hello My problem is that I want to change some specific numbers in a file. It is like, 2009 10 3 2349 21.3 L 40.719 27.388 10.8 FRO 7 0.8 1.1LFRO 2.6CFRO 1.1LMAM1 GAP=157 1.69 5.7 5.9 5.8 0.5405E+01 0.4455E+00 0.1653E+02E STAT SP IPHASW D HRMM SECON CODA AMPLIT... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: miriammiriam
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a number on a specific line with cshell or shell?

Hello all, I need to change a number in a file by adding some residuals respectively To make it clear, I need to add 0.11 to the number between 24-28 (which is below the SECON) for all the lines starting with FRR1 or I need to add 0.13 to the number between 24-28 (which is below the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: miriammiriam
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add character to specific columns using sed or awk and make it a permanent change

Hi, I am writing a shell script where I want that # should be added in all those lines as the first character where the pattern matches. file has lot of functions defined a.sh #!/bin/bash fn a { beautiful evening sunny day } fn b { } fn c { hello world .its a beautiful day ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change specific string to new value if found in text file

I am trying to use awk to change a specific string in a field, if it is found, to another value. In the tab-delimited file the text in bold in $3 contains the string 23, which is always right before a ., if it is present. I am trying to change that string to X, keeping the formatting and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change sFTP home directory for particular user and from specific server

Hello Folks, Of course i came here for your favour :) How to set a defalult home directory for sFTP login ( at present users land in to their home directrory) when they connect from specific server. When server(A) sFTP's to Linux server(B) they land to thier home directory. I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find specific pattern and change some of block values using awk

Hi, Could you please help me finding a way to replace a specific value in a text block when matching a key pattern ? I got the keys and the values from a command similar to: echo -e "key01 Nvalue01-1 Nvalue01-2 Nvalue01-3\nkey02 Nvalue02-1 Nvalue02-2 Nvalue02-3 \nkey03 Nvalue03-1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to change a specific column and in a specific row

I am trying to change the number in bold to 2400 01,000300032,193631306,190619,0640,1,80,,2/ 02,193631306,000300032,1,190618,0640,CAD,2/ I'm not sure if sed or awk is the answer. I was going to use sed and do a character count up to that point, but that column directly before 0640 might... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: juggernautjoee
8 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)