Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check if a filename in a directory starts with a certain string Post 302672995 by elixir_sinari on Tuesday 17th of July 2012 10:27:54 AM
Old 07-17-2012
Code:
for filename in ./*
 do

if [ -f "$filename" ]
       then
            file="${filename#*/}"
            if [[ "$file" == "*nexus" ]]
            then
                 echo $file >> test.log
            fi
   fi
 done;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

filename that starts with a space

I accidentally started a filename with a spce and I can not get rid of it. Any words of advice? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: noobie_doo
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to check whether a directory or filename path is valid or not

the script on excution should take a directory path from useran a numric input and it should check indicate whether its write or not? if the cmmd sh<script-name>,dir/path.<500>" is greater than 500 in size should be copied to dir ,temp in pwd and display the mesage'files of 2000 bytes hav been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukr
4 Replies

3. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if string starts with $ symbol

How do I check that a string $AA22CC3 starts with the "$" symbol ? I have tried : checksum='$AAB3E45' echo $checksum case $checksum in $* ) echo success ; esac Thanks ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cillmor
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if a given string is a file or directory

hi i want to know how to do this if the given is /tmp/ and it is a valid directory then it will echo directory if the given is /tmp/file.txt and is a valid file then it will echo file.. thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract every filename containing certain string in a directory and do some commend per file

Hi, Here is my question: suppose I have files like 1990_8xdaily_atmos.nc 1991_8xdaily_atmos.nc 1992_8xdaily_atmos.nc 1993_8xdaily_atmos.nc 1990_daily_atmos.nc 1991_daily_atmos.nc 1992_daily_atmos.nc 1993_daily_atmos.nc 1990_month_atmos.nc 1991_month_atmos.nc 1992_month_atmos.nc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 1988PF
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filename check in UNIX

Hello , I have to search for the file names which will either has ABC_DEF or NN in their filename Please note that both cannot appear in the same file name currently I am using ls -lrt /zthetl/SrcFiles/*ABC_DEF*.xls| head -1 | nawk '{print $9}' How to combine the NN in this code?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a shell script that starts one, then kills it, then starts another?

This is on a CentOS box, I have two scripts that need to run in order. I want to write a shell script that calls the first script, lets it run and then terminates it after a certain number of hours (that I specify of course), and then calls the second script (they can't run simultaneously) which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: btramer
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a string starts with certain values and ends with numbers

This is very basic. Yet Iam struggling to get the right pattern for my check. Apologize in advance to ask a very lame question. I have to validate if a value of the variable starts with "efgh" and followed by 6 numbers. Var1="efgh234567" The condition Iam trying to achieve is similar to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
6 Replies
DEBCLEAN(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DEBCLEAN(1)

NAME
debclean - clean up a sourcecode tree SYNOPSIS
debclean [options] DESCRIPTION
debclean walks through the directory tree starting at the directory tree in which it was invoked, and executes debian/rules clean for each Debian source directory encountered. These directories are recognised by containing a debian/changelog file for a package whose name matches that of the directory. Name matching is described below. Also, if the --cleandebs option is given, then in every directory containing a Debian source tree, all files named *.deb, *.changes and *.build are removed. The .dsc, .diff.gz and the (.orig).tar.gz files are not touched so that the release can be reconstructed if neces- sary, and the .upload files are left so that debchange functions correctly. The --nocleandebs option prevents this extra cleaning behav- iour and the --cleandebs option forces it. The default is not to clean these files. debclean uses debuild(1) to clean the source tree. Directory name checking In common with several other scripts in the devscripts package, debclean will walk through the directory tree searching for debian/changelog files. As a safeguard against stray files causing potential problems, it will examine the name of the parent directory once it finds a debian/changelog file, and check that the directory name corresponds to the package name. Precisely how it does this is controlled by two configuration file variables DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL and DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX, and their corresponding command-line options --check-dirname-level and --check-dirname-regex. DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL can take the following values: 0 Never check the directory name. 1 Only check the directory name if we have had to change directory in our search for debian/changelog. This is the default behaviour. 2 Always check the directory name. The directory name is checked by testing whether the current directory name (as determined by pwd(1)) matches the regex given by the con- figuration file option DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX or by the command line option --check-dirname-regex regex. Here regex is a Perl regex (see perlre(3perl)), which will be anchored at the beginning and the end. If regex contains a '/', then it must match the full directory path. If not, then it must match the full directory name. If regex contains the string 'PACKAGE', this will be replaced by the source package name, as determined from the changelog. The default value for the regex is: 'PACKAGE(-.+)?', thus matching directory names such as PACKAGE and PACKAGE-version. OPTIONS
--cleandebs Also remove all .deb, .changes and .build files from the parent directory. --nocleandebs Do not remove the .deb, .changes and .build files from the parent directory; this is the default behaviour. --check-dirname-level N See the above section Directory name checking for an explanation of this option. --check-dirname-regex regex See the above section Directory name checking for an explanation of this option. --no-conf, --noconf Do not read any configuration files. This can only be used as the first option given on the command-line. -d Do not run dpkg-checkbuilddeps to check build dependencies. --help Display a help message and exit successfully. --version Display version and copyright information and exit successfully. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
The two configuration files /etc/devscripts.conf and ~/.devscripts are sourced in that order to set configuration variables. Command line options can be used to override configuration file settings. Environment variable settings are ignored for this purpose. The currently recognised variables are: DEBCLEAN_CLEANDEBS If this is set to yes, then it is the same as the --cleandebs command line parameter being used. DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_LEVEL, DEVSCRIPTS_CHECK_DIRNAME_REGEX See the above section Directory name checking for an explanation of these variables. Note that these are package-wide configuration variables, and will therefore affect all devscripts scripts which check their value, as described in their respective manpages and in devscripts.conf(5). SEE ALSO
debuild(1) and devscripts.conf(5). AUTHOR
Christoph Lameter <clameter@debian.org>; modifications by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DEBCLEAN(1)